Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Yes, I'm referring to how good of a correlate it is for just about anything that could be referred to as "intelligence".
    But that doesn't necessarily mean that IQ captures the nebulous concept of "intelligence".

Personally though, I think that's because intelligence is so vaguely defined that it's basically meaningless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    But that doesn't necessarily mean that IQ captures the nebulous concept of "intelligence".

Personally though, I think that's because intelligence is so vaguely defined that it's basically meaningless.
    Like I said, I genuinely don't understand this perspective. It seems ridiculous and handwavey. Intelligence seems very real and obvious to me and IQ is a reasonable benchmark for measuring what most people mean by intelligence. Intelligence is certainly a complicated concept worthy of much more study, but the notion that it's meaningless makes no sense - you know almost exactly what people mean by it. It makes about as much sense as saying that strength or speed are "basically meaningless" because there are different ways to measure them.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Like I said, I genuinely don't understand this perspective. It seems ridiculous and handwavey. Intelligence seems very real and obvious to me and IQ is a reasonable benchmark for measuring what most people mean by intelligence. Intelligence is certainly a complicated concept worthy of much more study, but the notion that it's meaningless makes no sense - you know almost exactly what people mean by it. It makes about as much sense as saying that strength or speed are "basically meaningless" because there are different ways to measure them.
    I think that if I pressed you on it, you'd struggle to find a quantifiable definition of intelligence that captures what people think in their heads when they say it.

Obviously most people have an intuition of intelligence. But that's the problem with intuition.

I think that if I pressed you on it, you'd struggle to find a quantifiable definition of intelligence that captures what people think in their heads when they say it.

Obviously most people have an intuition of intelligence. But that's the problem with intuition.
    A definition which a large group of researchers signed off on was the following:
    A very general mental capability that, among other things, involves the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly and learn from experience. It is not merely book learning, a narrow academic skill, or test-taking smarts. Rather, it reflects a broader and deeper capability for comprehending our surroundings—"catching on," "making sense" of things, or "figuring out" what to do.
    I think this generally aligns with most people's concept of intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    A definition which a large group of researchers signed off on was the following:

I think this generally aligns with most people's concept of intelligence.
    And let me just point you to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainst..._and_criticism

I feel like there is some Marco Rubio style self trolling going on here. The idea that racists and xenophobes might just be flat out dumber than everyone else is not some absurd notion that only far left cultural Marxist beta lib cuck feminazi whatevers could believe, it makes complete sense to anyone with enough of a brain not to be a racist shitheel.

None of those studies say intelligence is so vague that it is basically meaningless. I don't think any psychologist would agree with that.

None of those studies say intelligence is so vague that it is basically meaningless. I don't think any psychologist would agree with that.
    I wasn't asking them to. That was my opinion.

I wasn't asking them to. That was my opinion.
    Well then feel free to be incredulous.

Well then feel free to be incredulous.
    If you'll recall, it wasn't even the topic.