Poll: Well?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Archer View Post
    Nighthold is likely up there because of star augur (post first nerf) and gul'dan were really good bosses, gul'dan one of the best end bosses they've done.
    Personally i think Lei Shen is a much more interesting fight.

To me ToT is the best raid ever made for its time

Don't know how rated it is to comment much on the overrated part, but in my opnion every raid should be reviewed against that day's standards. On which Ulduar was top notch as a whole. Had its meh sections, but the overall atmosphere and the intensity of towards the end made it one of the best in my books. Re-released today with retuning to current level, probably quite dull. Oh wait, the timewalking thru that was quite, how to say it, it felt a lot more epic back then. Kind of why the new Naxxramas was what it was compared to the old. Thing of past that had its heydays, but is now just a thing to look back in nostalgia forum discussions how things were so much better back in my day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ifrah View Post
    Don't know how rated it is to comment much on the overrated part, but in my opnion every raid should be reviewed against that day's standards. On which Ulduar was top notch as a whole. Had its meh sections, but the overall atmosphere and the intensity of towards the end made it one of the best in my books. Re-released today with retuning to current level, probably quite dull. Oh wait, the timewalking thru that was quite, how to say it, it felt a lot more epic back then. Kind of why the new Naxxramas was what it was compared to the old. Thing of past that had its heydays, but is now just a thing to look back in nostalgia forum discussions how things were so much better back in my day.
    What about the hard modes?
    Weren't they a design piece of art?

You had to do certain things mid fight to activate "hard mode".
    That is epic and perfect game design

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post

Yes, forgot to say about those. The hard mode design of ulduar (mimiron especially, that's The #1 ever for me) should be utilized more. Takes a bit of the immersion of fighting the bad guys off when you select from a menu "today i'm selecting difficulty....x." Oh wait, I just praised the mythic keystones...

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Personally i think Lei Shen is a much more interesting fight.

To me ToT is the best raid ever made for its time
    Yeah "one of the" :P It's hard to compete, you have Lei Shen, Blackhand, Gul'dan, as well as some others.

Quote Originally Posted by Wvvtayy View Post
    I think so. I don't get why people here put it on such a high pedestal. It was a great raid, don't get me wrong. At the time it was arguably the best raid released. But there have been several better raids since then. (ICC, SoO, BWD, ToT, BRF, Nighthold)

I think a big part of why it's held in such high regard is because it was sanwiched in between a rehashed raid and a bad raid
    I would consider Ulduar better than the raids you mentioned.

1) Tons of Lore
    2) Secret Boss, with special achieve for beating it below certain gear. I believe you can only use gear from ULD or below to get the achieve.
    3) Hard modes with special "opening" tricks.
    4) Original tactics/ interesting tactics on bosses

It was a lot of fun when it was current (at least for me).

The only two raids on that list that come close would be ICC or ToT, but they just didn't have as much stuff packed in as ULD did.

I think so. I don't get why people here put it on such a high pedestal. It was a great raid, don't get me wrong. At the time it was arguably the best raid released. But there have been several better raids since then. (ICC, SoO, BWD, ToT, BRF, Nighthold)

I think a big part of why it's held in such high regard is because it was sanwiched in between a rehashed raid and a bad raid
    It was great for its time. Thats about it.
    It's like how vanilla was great for its time as well but that doesn't mean it's that awesome today, compared to what we have now.

TWing did it no favours but Ulduar is still one of my favourite raids to date.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ulduar is really that good. When you can see the reasons why even past it being current speaks that much for it.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post

Yeah I wish they would utilize it more. They should at least have one or two bosses (were appropriate) that activate like that for each tier. I wouldn't mind seeing some of that in dungeons as well. I understand that it is too much work (and would become commonplace) to utilize more.

I was also surprised that they haven't been including bonus bosses anymore.

I like Ulduar to but for me ICC is one of the best IF not the best raid ever created.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ulduar was up there for me because of the setting and bosses.
    The train ride to Mimi is gorgeous and a nice intermission. Thorim gauntlet was one of those most thrilling encounters. The whole instance looks really nice, then there's the visible decent into madness. The presence of an old god. Fighting against/with titans, the Creator lore, more lore for Gnomes is good where ever you can get it. XT-002 was actually a funny encounter (not everything needs to be serious and dark). The timing was something else as well. Just wasn't expecting something like that at that time, it was almost a departure from the xpac.

When Ulduar was released, it was way way better than anything we had seen before. That's why it's held at such high regard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ulduar is still the raid I enjoyed most.
    In WoW.
    Outside WoW there's Vault of Glass.

Well, when it's current, it's considered to be trash by quite many people for a multitude of reasons, but over time it became one of the best raids there's for some people.

It applies to quite many old things in general.
    Last edited by ls-; 2018-02-25 at 08:43 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    My brother raided back in vanilla and the raiding community in general did not like AQ40 when it was current content due to it's layout, bugged bosses, amongst other things.
    Nobody who actually played AQ40 in vanilla would say it's a favourite.

It was a great raid, but yes you are right, there were better ones later on.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's still my favourite raid.

If I played as much WoW as I did back then and still was a hardcore raider I might have felt like there was better post Firelands, but I stopped raiding hardcore around then so I am unsure what impact the other raids up to now would be like.

But my time as a hardcore raider from Vanilla to Cata, Ulduar is still the best
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

It's not ulduar that's over rated it's wrath in general. It contains the two least creative and shortest main tier raids ever and is meant to be redeemed by ulduar? That's where ulduar becomes over rated.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Can't agree that BWD and BRF were better, Ulduar was a very very good raid IMO but hey opinions