Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ingvar Kamprad, founder of Ikea, dies at 91

https://www.thelocal.se/20180128/ing...kea-dies-at-91

Ingvar Kamprad, the enigmatic founder of Swedish furniture giant Ikea, died aged 91 on Sunday, the company said.
    "Ingvar Kamprad has peacefully passed away in his home" in southern Sweden, Ikea announced on its Twitter account. "Ingvar will be very missed and warmly remembered by his family and Ikea colleagues around the world."

Sweden's Prime Minister Stefan Löfven was among the first to pay tribute to a man whose company, with its blue and yellow colour scheme, the idiosyncratic Swedish names for its products and the Swedish delicacies in its canteens, was for many people around the world synonymous with Sweden.

"I have received the sad news about Ingvar Kamprad's passing. My thoughts today are first and foremost with his family and friends. Ingvar Kamprad was a unique entrepreneur who meant a lot for Swedish business and who made interior decorating accessible for the many, not just the few," Löfven said in a written statement to news agency TT.

- - - Updated - - -

Not many people like him out there in the world, few would ever accomplish what he did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't forget he was also a man who inspired a song too...

“You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Don't forget he was also a man who inspired a song too...

Fuck yeah JoCo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    RIP

he would have wanted this

10+ Year Old Account
    Skroe that's not a real thing -- It's missing the infamous IKEA allen wrench!
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

They have some very good designers. I like their style.

Cheers

Ikea is awesome. My dad is renovating the entire bathroom. They could get exactly what they wanted with perfection, no compromises for 1/3rd the price of other places they checked out.

Only been to Ikea myself once, and the...250? Dollars I spent there was amazing. VAAAALUE!
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

RIP but Ikea is pretty shit quality for almost everything but especially their furniture. If you shop well you can get much better deals elsewhere. For far better product quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Skroe that's not a real thing -- It's missing the infamous IKEA allen wrench!
    And too many separate pieces - IKEA normally simplify the design to make it as cheap as possible to make and transport and assemble (including tools) - without interfering too much with aesthetics.

A IKEA-coffin would thus likely be a box-shaped cardboard coffin (made in one piece - so no protruding sides) with wood bottom and attachment for handles.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's a special hell reserved for him together with other nazi collaborators

RIP

I opened this thread hoping for something like this, was not disappointed.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    IKEA is awesome. I hope they don't change and get too greedy following Ingvars death.
    Don't try to fix what's not broken~

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    RIP but Ikea is pretty shit quality for almost everything but especially their furniture. If you shop well you can get much better deals elsewhere. For far better product quality.
    Not everything from IKEA is bad. I use one of their counter tops on top of 2 Alex drawers as my main desk and its very sturdy. I have had it a little over 2 years now and it still looks as new as the day I got them. I think in total it was about $220 for what amounts to a nearly 9 foot desk and 2 file drawers.

Well, I don't agree on that at all. I've never had IKEA stuff fall apart on me, and they're often half the price. The only problem with IKEA is that you can't get things customized that much, you have to chose between like 3 colors, and you can get a little sick of seeing their stuff in everyone's homes.
    Mother pus bucket!

The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

RIP

I opened this thread knowing someone would've already made the "Ikea coffin" joke. Dang.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    A sad day for Wowcrendor.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes and no. Depends on where you live I suppose. I can get far far better custom made wardrobes, drawers, and beds (and other similar stuff) done in China, and at a much higher quality, direct from factory at around 1/3rd the price of IKEA.

Their tables, chairs, accessories, etc - are extremely competitively priced. Their quality lies in their MDF boards - which they use very very good ones. But MDF board furniture in general is considered lower end.

Still, much respect to the founder as he created something very unique and lasting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    There's a special hell reserved for him together with other nazi collaborators
    Wait what?

I've never had the pleasure of buying anything from Ikea for no other reason than, I simply never got around to it, but 91 is pretty high up there. Until his next journey I guess.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis