Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Which game took your world by storm?

Hello champions, good to see you, as always!

So, tell me, coz I'm curious: Which game took your world by storm? Which game made you realize the potential of video-games?

For me, it is Deus Ex. Deus Ex, to me, is still unmatched in its freedom of gameplay choices, immersion and world building. So many open world games lack immersion, and a game from 2001 still does a lot of things better than current gen games.

And you?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Wow I guess? It wasn’t the first mmo I had played but it was the first that felt so big and was so interesting that it got me really invested into the world. No other mmo has been able to do the same even if they have been fun in there own rights.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played console and PC games ever since the early 90's, but I'd have to say the first time consuming one was classic WoW.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

7+ Year Old Account
    Counter-Strike
    Followed by Ultima Online

Dota (and later Dota2). Have an unhealthy amount of hours put into them.

That's tough. I feel like EverQuest might be the first video game that hit me on like the "soul" level. Just seemed to resonate with me so hard at the time being a weird nerd kid, and here was this huge virtual world I could escape to with other like-minded kids.

There were a few others that had an impact on me, but EQ is something that just stands out from the crowd.

First game to do that, Shining Force 2 for Genesis. Introduced me to RPGS and fantasy. Have never looked back.
    The second game, Final Fantasy 7. Since I had a genesis, I missed out on 4 and 6. 7 got me into FF, and it is by and far my all time favorite series. Even the games that most people love to hate.
    The third big game in my life, EQ. While WoW has gotten the better part of my life, EQ put me on the path of MMO's. Getting lost in vast world, exploring dungeons, going into the planes. Killing giant dragons. Without EQ, there might not have been a wow.

A PS-One demo disc with this on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warcraft and then WoW, it consumed my life, I played it all day, 7 days a week. I didn't do my homework and I almost failed English class in 8th grade. I was grounded multiple times from the game so I downloaded private servers to play on. I did anything I could to play it.

Then I guess the mass effect Trilogy. I have beaten it 6 times. Doing every single thing I could in it, except the first play through, I read just about everything possible about every character, even the small ones, on mass effect wiki. On a side note, I nearly vomited after beating mass effect Andromeda and watching them release one patch and abandoning it.

The first Legend of Zelda game blew me away at the time. Then WoW did. A few other games absolutely enrapture me: Stellaris, Stardew Valley, DragonQuest Builders, Civilization (all of them just about). None of them grabbed ahold of me and made me pay attention like that first Zelda did.

Disgaea. Never expected this silly game to become such a big part of who I am. Right in the feels, man.

I'd say either the house of the dead or sonic 3? those are the first real games I played when I was like 5-6. Never stopped since.

10+ Year Old Account
    It might be some kind of cliche but for me it was FF7, it was my first RPG, a genre that before that moment I didn't know I craved.

For me it was probably Diablo 2. I had played many good games before that but D2 brought everything together to near perfection and it created a giant community. Part of it was also timing with the internet being in full motion becoming a lot more populated. The idea of having a community at your fingertip instead of just your friends is really what made me realize how big video games really were and in my case that happened with D2.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    Hello champions, good to see you, as always!

So, tell me, coz I'm curious: Which game took your world by storm? Which game made you realize the potential of video-games?

For me, it is Deus Ex. Deus Ex, to me, is still unmatched in its freedom of gameplay choices, immersion and world building. So many open world games lack immersion, and a game from 2001 still does a lot of things better than current gen games.

And you?
    I got a list really.
    Worms 1 in the amega
    Crash bandicoot
    Need for speed underground 2
    Call of duty world at war

Starsiege: Tribes.

You try leading your target when you've only got explosive weapons, and both of you are skiing at about two hundred miles an hour across open terrain on dial-up.

Landing those shots with any level of precision took skill. Even the sole resident hitscan weapon--the game's sniper rifle--took skill to use.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW, obviously...

Then probaby Phantasy Star III. Was my first taste of JRPG's and I've been hooked ever since.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it was WoW. That game sucked the life out of me. So much so that I kinda regret playing as much of it as I did. So much time wasted on that game that could've been spent on other things. Whatever though, I had fun with it, I guess that's all that matters.

Another big one was Mass Effect. I've never been so immersed with a game in my life. It was basically a second life for me. I think it was the first time too that I played a game that made you make hard decisions and where your choices actually made differences (until the end of ME 3). Seriously though fuck ME 3 ending. That shit still pisses me off.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2018-02-26 at 08:15 PM.

A few games in my life have managed to do this;
    Dungeon Keeper. I can't express how that game rocked my childhood. There is no better game in my memory than DK.
    Soul Reaver. That opening with (for that time) impressive CGI of Raziel getting his wings torn off and then the narrator that basically guided you through the game. Immensely good game.

And of course. Wow. Not as impressive on an emotional storytelling level as the above, but still rocking in my top 3 of most played games last year and that's pretty impressive after over 10 years.

There are only three games that I've gone utterly bonkers over:

WoW
    The Banner Saga
    Trails of Cold Steel