10+ Year Old Account

Archaeology Digsite locations

Okay, guys, I need someone to explain Legion Archaeology dig sites and/or what my dumb ass is doing wrong. I've been trying for a couple months to do the This Side Up achievement but I have had Highmountain Digsites for the whole of the expansion. I leveled to 800 entirely on those.

I have had one Archaeology quest from Dalaran ever, and it was the one that sent me to Highmountain to complete the ghost moose. Which I did, some time ago. She's never offered me a new quest. The dig sites have never rotated to another zone that I have noticed, although I don't check literally every day.

My understanding is that the dig site locations are tied to the weekly quest. Does that mean the dig sites are supposed to rotate weekly? Does the quest come from someone other than the lady in Dalaran who gave me the first one? Do I actually need to pick up the quest for the dig sites to rotate? Am I just utterly broken or is it possible to get the same location a bunch of weeks in a row? (and if it is, it would be the same for everyone right? not just me?)

I feel like I am missing something, or an idiot, or both those things (probably) but I haven't been able to sufficiently find an explanation in any Arch guide or from friends who have bothered with it, as no one else seems to have this issue.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    instead of doing a tread just to prove that you are lazy why don´t you research?

You just need to look in wow head for : "This Side Up" achievement

BTW and just so that you don´t say that no one helps, This Side Up achievement is rotated every 6 moths, you will take 6 moths to do it, one quest every 2 weeks, same npc, same location, different zone.

Good luck

10+ Year Old Account
    As I said, I have researched but everything seems to indicate that the quest and zones should be rotating weekly for Archaeoloy but, as I said, they are not for me. I'm not asking about the achievement itself, but how to get archaeology dig sites to switch zones. I have had no quest but the Highmountain one and no zones but the Highmountain ones.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    As I said, I have researched but everything seems to indicate that the quest and zones should be rotating weekly for Archaeoloy but, as I said, they are not for me. I'm not asking about the achievement itself, but how to get archaeology dig sites to switch zones. I have had no quest but the Highmountain one and no zones but the Highmountain ones.
    It changes every two weeks. Is it possible that when you check it just happens to have landed on another Highmountain one?

10+ Year Old Account
    That does sound like a really odd issue that you've been experiencing. From what I remember, the digsite quests last for a fortnight before a new one is offered and follow a set order that starts over after the 13 quests have been up once. The digsite locations are dependent on the quest that is up at the time and you can get the breadcrumb quest leading into it from Dalaran (unless you've picked it up before) or the actual quest can be directly gotten from the Archaeology quest giver that is up in the current zone (but they are not always in the same location). Have you checked if any UI mods or tracking addons might be messing with your map/digsites displaying incorrectly?
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

I ask about the just happening to always go check on Highmountain because currently it is a Highmountain dig on my characters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drattz View Post
    It changes every two weeks. Is it possible that when you check it just happens to have landed on another Highmountain one?
    The two weeks is good to know. I read several things that said weekly.

Anyway, earlier in the expac I thought that might be the case but I've been paying more attention the last couple months and it's always been Highmountain for dig sites. Does it have a fixed rotation for everyone or is it unique to the player, and can it roll the same place several times in a row? The combination between just checking on HM weeks earlier and it duplicating recently is the only thing I can think of besides "that character is just broken."

Also, do I need to pick up the quest to get the dig sites to rotate, or are they jsut supposed to rotate at the same time (as my understanding is the two are linked)?

Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    Have you checked if any UI mods or tracking addons might be messing with your map/digsites displaying incorrectly?
    I'm able to dig at these sites, so it's not just a display/ui issue.

Unless you actually need the quest to get the sites to rotate, then I suppose I could have a UI bug preventing me from seeing the quest, but I imagine they two just change at the same time and that you don't actually need one for the other.

Since folks say right now is HM for them too I guess I just keep watching.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2018-02-27 at 06:51 AM.

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account

Anyway, earlier in the expac I thought that might be the case but I've been paying more attention the last couple months and it's always been Highmountain for dig sites. Does it have a fixed rotation for everyone or is it unique to the player, and can it roll the same place several times in a row? The combination between just checking on HM weeks earlier and it duplicating recently is the only thing I can think of besides "that character is just broken."

Also, do I need to pick up the quest to get the dig sites to rotate, or are they jsut supposed to rotate at the same time (as my understanding is the two are linked)?
    Well there's a set order to the quests with a different region every two weeks and four-five Highmountain related ones so it's definitely possible that when you checked before it was during the two week period of a Highmountain quest and it's on one again now. Early on in the expansion there were some times the quests did bug and everyone would end up having the same one for another two weeks and Blizzard couldn't do anything about it but I don't know if it's happened again recently. The switch is automatic and should update the same time the new quest is up.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Afaik it's bugged to shit, sad to see it's still a persisting issue. I had the same odd experience with archaeology last time I played about a year ago.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

7+ Year Old Account

I'm able to dig at these sites, so it's not just a display/ui issue.

Unless you actually need the quest to get the sites to rotate, then I suppose I could have a UI bug preventing me from seeing the quest, but I imagine they two just change at the same time and that you don't actually need one for the other.

Since folks say right now is HM for them too I guess I just keep watching.
    This week it was spirit of Echo, tomorow it resets so it should be something else, the reset before it was legion in azsuna. one before that i dont know, but i am only 2 away from completing all the rares, and i think only 3 from the pristine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    Afaik it's bugged to shit, sad to see it's still a persisting issue. I had the same odd experience with archaeology last time I played about a year ago.
    uhh what? i have never heard of a bug like this of the places not being in the right places simply because that would make the quests impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    This week it was spirit of Echo, tomorow it resets so it should be something else, the reset before it was legion in azsuna. one before that i dont know, but i am only 2 away from completing all the rares, and i think only 3 from the pristine.
    I did the ghost moose like three weeks ago, so it's been that one a lot longer than just this week.

Anyway, I'll check tomorrow then to see if I have other dig site locations if you know it's supposed to change tomorrow.

uhh what? i have never heard of a bug like this of the places not being in the right places simply because that would make the quests impossible.
    I don't know anyone else personally having this issue, but definitely he's not the first I've seen mentioning that bug, so there was, at least at some point, such an issue for some people. Whether it still exists or I'm an idiot who coincidentally always looks on HM weeks remains to be seen.

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember the Crown Quest bugging out after the two weeks for it were over and happening again the following week when it first went up but other than that the only other bugs I've heard about have been singular cases and usually involving people not being able to interact with specific digsites or not getting quest items to drop at all when they have the quest (though they tended to give up quite early so it could've just been they weren't patient enough).

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's an issue with the rotating quests not rotating properly so you end up stuck with the same weekly and zone-digsites - sometimes for several months. Had to give up on that part of the game entirely because GM couldn't help and basically said if they don't have it fixed by next rotation just cross your fingers for good luck - something about the change in rotation-frequency shortly after release messed it up to cause issues for people at random... stick around long enough and you might be lucky to get the ghost moose, it's just more RNG!

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It sounds like something has gone wrong and you're stuck on the same quest permanently.

Personally I found that every 2 weeks a new quest would appear in Dalaran and if I had failed to complete the previous questchain it would simply disappear from my log along with any progress. It is possible that you got stuck on part of a quest chain and for some reason that quest never autodeleted, which then prevents you from picking up the next quest (and you can't complete it because the event has moved on). I would suggest that if you have any archaeology quests open that you can't seem to progress/complete, that you abandon them and try picking up what is offered in Dalaran.

PS: Failing that, if you find you are stuck, maybe try doing the achievement on an alt.
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2018-02-27 at 07:58 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I did the ghost moose like three weeks ago, so it's been that one a lot longer than just this week.

Anyway, I'll check tomorrow then to see if I have other dig site locations if you know it's supposed to change tomorrow.

I don't know anyone else personally having this issue, but definitely he's not the first I've seen mentioning that bug, so there was, at least at some point, such an issue for some people. Whether it still exists or I'm an idiot who coincidentally always looks on HM weeks remains to be seen.
    Are you EU or US? Cause I'm talking us side.

- - - Updated - - -

It's an issue with the rotating quests not rotating properly so you end up stuck with the same weekly and zone-digsites - sometimes for several months. Had to give up on that part of the game entirely because GM couldn't help and basically said if they don't have it fixed by next rotation just cross your fingers for good luck - something about the change in rotation-frequency shortly after release messed it up to cause issues for people at random... stick around long enough and you might be lucky to get the ghost moose, it's just more RNG!
    Its literally game wide. Its not per person so that doesn't really make sense.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Its literally game wide. Its not per person so that doesn't really make sense.
    wouldn't be a bug if it made sense... spaghetti-code means not everyone is affected nor have they figured out what's causing the irregularity since some people still find that it doesn't rotate the weekly quest every 2nd week as it's supposed to.

7+ Year Old Account
    wouldn't be a bug if it made sense... spaghetti-code means not everyone is affected nor have they figured out what's causing the irregularity since some people still find that it doesn't rotate the weekly quest every 2nd week as it's supposed to.
    Can you show me this happening? I have legit never heard of this or seen this. I have seen the qeusts themselves bug, but allways minor.

So how did it turn out this week?

If you really are checking regularly, and it's been High Mountain for multiple weeks in a row, then you should send a ticket to a GM, because that's a glitch.

And yeah, it's the first time I ever hear of a "sites not rotating" glitch happen to anyone. I've read lots of wowhead comments on various Legion achievements and never seen a mention of that happening
    Last edited by Azerate; 2018-03-11 at 01:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Changed to Azsuna today and I was able to pick up the quest so gonna guess it's fixed?

| twitch | bsky
    |