Page 1 of 23
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why is MOP getting so much praise lately?

I ended Cata with 8 IRL friends playing wow. MOP took that number down to 1. Sure you can argue that MOP had some cool content but soo many people seem to forget that right before Cata was pretty legit until the dragon soul patch. Have you guys forgotten how good BWD,FL and to a lesser extent, BoT was? Every time people diss Cata as the 'casual expansion' they conveniently forget to mention that it had some of the hardest dungeons and pretty challenging raids prior to the nerfs and DS patch. Then those same people praise MOP as the be all end all of expansions. Sure, compared to Dragon Soul Cata and the shitshow that was WOD it was good, but if I remember correctly, people where not happy at the time, everyone was far more salty about the kung fu panda expansion than they are now. Just, for a second, imagine that MOP didn't exist (yet), and after imprisoning Sargeras and defeating a Titan you would get friggin Pandas, idk about you but I would not be too happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    MoP is far superior to any expansion after it so far, the only people NOT praising pandaland is the salty kungfu panda commenters.

Class design was godly
    Wpvp was very much alive, and even balanced compared to the shitshows of WoD and Legion
    Pvp was alive in general
    The pve was great, varied, we have scenarios raids dungeons and dailies that switched up constantly, were not tedious at all honestly.

I could go on but yeah.. the lore was actually pretty expansive too. This was the last xpac before Blizz B team, otherwise known as the D3 team, took over and started pruning all of our abilities and implementing their fucktarded dumbass ideas.

Deleted
    MoP is by far the most overpraised and overrated expansion this game has had. Cata and WoD were both WAY better.

I think the levelling experience in MoP was probably their strongest. And it had a lot of good raids. Oh and the dominance offensive questlines were awesome.

Isle of Thunder was cool.

Cataclysm was real good at the start but went real bad.

It had content.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

Quote Originally Posted by Bladedance View Post
    I ended Cata with 8 IRL friends playing wow. MOP took that number down to 1. Sure you can argue that MOP had some cool content but soo many people seem to forget that right before Cata was pretty legit until the dragon soul patch. Have you guys forgotten how good BWD,FL and to a lesser extent, BoT was? Every time people diss Cata as the 'casual expansion' they conveniently forget to mention that it had some of the hardest dungeons and pretty challenging raids prior to the nerfs and DS patch. Then those same people praise MOP as the be all end all of expansions. Sure, compared to Dragon Soul Cata and the shitshow that was WOD it was good, but if I remember correctly, people where not happy at the time, everyone was far more salty about the kung fu panda expansion than they are now. Just, for a second, imagine that MOP didn't exist (yet), and after imprisoning Sargeras and defeating a Titan you would get friggin Pandas, idk about you but I would not be too happy.
    So, I definitely see where you are coming from; I've played the game since release, and have only taken a break once - which was during MOP. The problem is that the beginning of the expansion was terrible; it took too long to get patches and updates, and there wasn't much to do at first. The reason people look so fondly upon it is the last half of the expansion.

MoP for me is second only to WOTLK. I find Legion hard to place because I got burned out and only played in shoet bursts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    ToT and SoO were better than all the cata raids, plus we actually had something to do outside of raids.

What made MoP so great for me were the dailies. Okay, yes at launch they were a little bit too grindy, but once 5.1 came out with those account wide rep buffs at revered they became fun. Unlocking story content as you went along with the expansion. Whether it was something small and silly like your farm or big like the 5.1 campaign.

You had a reason to go out into the world instead of AFKing in your capital city and every daily you completed felt like actual progress rather than what we have in Legion today.

Class design was at its peak during MoP too. I miss the 5.4 version of ret and KJC warlock so much.

So it had pandas, who cares? MoP was all about war, Pandaren were a side thing.

The only gripe I have with the expansion is the ending.

MoP is the only expansion where I felt like every time I logged in a made some kind of progress that was meaningful.
    Last edited by Aeula; 2018-02-27 at 09:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Almost like it had good zones great raids and the best class design in the game's history or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    MoP is far superior to any expansion after it so far, the only people NOT praising pandaland is the salty kungfu panda commenters.

Class design was godly
    Wpvp was very much alive, and even balanced compared to the shitshows of WoD and Legion
    Pvp was alive in general
    The pve was great, varied, we have scenarios raids dungeons and dailies that switched up constantly, were not tedious at all honestly.

I could go on but yeah.. the lore was actually pretty expansive too. This was the last xpac before Blizz B team, otherwise known as the D3 team, took over and started pruning all of our abilities and implementing their fucktarded dumbass ideas.
    Arena was kind of shit to much cc but everything else was solid.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

MoP was great compared to what came after..

People always will hate an expac than when it gets old they praise it. Classic is a great example of this. During BFA you will start to see people praise WoD a little bit. Happens every time

Quote Originally Posted by foofoocuddlypoopz View Post
    Arena was kind of shit to much cc but everything else was solid.
    Arena was way better than what was after(WoD and Legion).. PvP in general was better in MoP

Quote Originally Posted by Riproarin View Post
    People always will hate an expac than when it gets old they praise it. Classic is a great example of this. During BFA you will start to see people praise WoD a little bit. Happens every time
    It was during legion were people would praise wod not two expansion after. Panda was getting praise in warlord's.

MoP was awful, I really didn't like the theme and pandas could have been cool, but blizzard chose to make them tubby disney-like pandas. No bueno.

Too many dailies and the only raid I enjoyed was ToT, MoP was recycled orgrimmar and bad writing made Garrosh orc hitler instead of simply being a powerful leader like he could have been. Btw I never liked Garrosh even before he was warchief, but Blizzard literally made him go from blatantly hating the alliance, to blatantly hating everyone.

The concept felt like a giant excuse to make another orc big bad because they couldn't get over the fact that there weren't anymore orcish threats...which lead to WoD /facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by Craaazyyy View Post
    Arena was way better than what was after(WoD and Legion).. PvP in general was better in MoP
    True but that's also not a very high bar lol.

Quote Originally Posted by foofoocuddlypoopz View Post
    True but that's also not a very high bar lol.
    oh well.. im saying that it was miles ahead.. it wasnt wrath, but it was definitely closer to that than it was to wod and legion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post

Class design was godly
    Pvp was alive in general

I'll agree with this.
    As someone who loves PvP, MoP was pretty much the highlight in WoW's entire lifespan other than WotLK.

Deleted
    Cata was my favorite expansion, but it had is flaws and I don't think you can change the overall opinion of the community.

I used to hate Mop with a passion (worst was Wotlk for me, I don't get the hype especially ICC), but now I'm thinking, that i didn't appreciate it enough. I hated the daily quests and the setting... but the class design was divine.
    Back than I hadn't any idea, that Blizzard would start with that awful ability pruning.
    I enjoyed Wod more than Mop, but the class desgin in Legion is just atrocious.

That's why I started to give Mop more credit.

15+ Year Old Account
    MoP was a really good expansion. The problem was that the next expansion just wasn’t ready. The thing people hated most about MoP was how long the final raid tier went on, but that’s really just WoD taking far too long. I quit during the months leading up to WoD, but it had nothing to do with Pandaria.