Preparing for GTX 2xxx generation

Hey guys!

With the recent developments for GPU prices it turns out I can unload my GTX1080ti and get about 100$ profit on what I paid for it when I got it (near its launch).

I'm going to sell it off and wait for the new generation but I can't find any specific info, it says anything from "spring" to "6 months from now".

I feel like this is the right time to sell off my card because if there's an announcement the market of second hand GPUs will go up and prices down.
    Would you consider getting rid of your GPU to make a few bucks and wait for the new series?
    Am I being stupid for doing this?

Disclaimer: I expect the next 2080 to be about 30% more powerful than my current TI (from what I've read as speculations) and think this is a wise move as I'm always keen on having the new best thing (except for TITAN ofc) :P
    Intel i7-10700k | ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 Ti | 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400Mhz
    A-Data SSD SP920 256GB | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm | NZXT Kraken x62
    Fractal Design Define R6 TG | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
    Razer: Blackwidow Elite | Basilisk Ultimate | Nari Ultimate| Firefly | NZXT Hue+

Or you could just enjoy your current card for years to come. Whatever floats your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Azurenys View Post
    Hey guys!

With the recent developments for GPU prices it turns out I can unload my GTX1080ti and get about 100$ profit on what I paid for it when I got it (near its launch).

I'm going to sell it off and wait for the new generation but I can't find any specific info, it says anything from "spring" to "6 months from now".

I feel like this is the right time to sell off my card because if there's an announcement the market of second hand GPUs will go up and prices down.
    Would you consider getting rid of your GPU to make a few bucks and wait for the new series?
    Am I being stupid for doing this?

Disclaimer: I expect the next 2080 to be about 30% more powerful than my current TI (from what I've read as speculations) and think this is a wise move as I'm always keen on having the new best thing (except for TITAN ofc) :P
    I will just leave this for you Nvidia GPU prices will continue increasing through Q3 2018.html

The prices on the new series will be just as insane as the prices we have now and since it a new serie i would ad 20% to the prices we have now. So if i was you, i would just stick to the gtx 1080 ti
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Pretty much. This is about as sane as betting on crypto directly. 2k series might be worse.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

I expect the 2080 to be around as powerfull as your current Ti followed 6 months to a year later by a 2080Ti which might be 30% more powerfull then your current Ti.

Anouncement about them is expected around end of march, availability is anyone's guess in the current market.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    I expect the 2080 to be around as powerfull as your current Ti followed 6 months to a year later by a 2080Ti which might be 30% more powerfull then your current Ti.

Anouncement about them is expected around end of march, availability is anyone's guess in the current market.
    Yup. Doesn't make sense for them to do insane increases. Odds are 2080 will be 1080ti strength (maybe +5-10%) that uses a little less electricity and some ram modifications. Titan and Ti is where the yolo jump will be and you will pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Yup. Doesn't make sense for them to do insane increases. Odds are 2080 will be 1080ti strength (maybe +5-10%) that uses a little less electricity and some ram modifications. Titan and Ti is where the yolo jump will be and you will pay for it.
    The pro versions have been more than double their predecessors. I think there is a certain level of come what may in their product design, just look at the 900-1000 jump. Ampere might be huge.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    The pro versions have been more than double their predecessors. I think there is a certain level of come what may in their product design, just look at the 900-1000 jump. Ampere might be huge.
    I mean I hope so. I got a 780 and a huge jump like that would be a dream for me since I plan to upgrade this generation. I just don't hold by breath until it's on the shelves. Better to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Do we have a general idea of the performance we'll get? Considering the 980 TI was for the most part on par with a 1070. Do we know the 2080 will be on same standards of the 1080 TI or will we see 2070 on par with the 1080 TI?

The real question is when do people that aren't mining just quit buying graphics cards entirely short of literally not having an older one to turn to

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by c313 View Post
    Do we have a general idea of the performance we'll get? Considering the 980 TI was for the most part on par with a 1070. Do we know the 2080 will be on same standards of the 1080 TI or will we see 2070 on par with the 1080 TI?
    General performance? Not really. You can find fairly educated guesses though.

The 2080 Ti won't be 80-90% faster than the 1080 Ti, if the 2080 is 20-30% faster than the 1080 Ti. That then puts too large a gap between the 2080 and the 2080 Ti.

Expect a similar jump, or slightly less, than the jump from 9XX series to 10XX series. i.e ~70% per segment.

This is 16nm -> 12nm, which is minor, and then (supposedly) a new architecture. They'd need to have made substantial arch improvements (and/or substantial die size increases) to manage a 90% increase per segment when the process node change is so minor.

7nm is where the very big gains will come.

28nm to 16nm was almost exactly a doubling of density (or 100% increase), and also a 35% clock increase (plus the extra clock increase from arch modifications in Pascal).

So the 1080 Ti is effectively like a 952mm2 28nm chip with ~40% more clockspeed. Bearing in mind the 980 Ti was 601mm2

So ~58% more effective die size and ~40% more clocks resulted in 60-70% more performance.

12nm is reported to be roughly 15% more density and 15% more clockspeed. That's a huge difference compared to 100% more density and 35% more clockspeed.

So in order to be an equivalent jump from 980 Ti to 1080 Ti, the 2080 Ti would have to be ~640mm2 on 12nm, and clock to ~2.8 GHz.

And that would hypothetically yield 60-70% performance again.

In order to be better than that, and/or be a smaller die and clock lower, the new arch would have to be substantially better than Pascal per core and per clock.

EDIT: It's also worth noting the Titan V (i.e. the GV100 core) is only 1.6% denser than the Titan Xp core (i.e. GP102). So the consumer cards may be less than even that small 15% more dense.
    Not a concrete source but it sounds reasonable
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    You cannot compare the jump from 9 to 10 series.
    That was a jump from 28nm to 16nm, a rather large leap.

Historically for nVidia graphics it's always been around the estimates made above:
    Top-end Ti version is relegated to equal performance (give or take) to the next gen *80 version.
    With the new top-end Ti version being approximately 30% (again give or take) more powerful than the previous generation.

This is a straight-up comparison and of course does not entail specific changes/improvements such as Low Level API compliance on a hardware level instead of software (actual Hardware Schedules with a uArch more designed for low level access).

The jump from 9 to 10 was an exception due to having been stuck on the same lithography for over 5 years.
    Now the jump will be considerably smaller from 16nm to 12nm, making it relatively tiny power evolution.

The Pro versions (by which I assume you mean Quadro) were most of the time behind since they were not used as much on singular workstations as they are being used now, their evolutionary leaps have been greater because of the growing market for these where storage is could centered but processed locally. (a VERY large contributor for reasons as to why it's grown)

However do not mistake the double RAM capacity on those cards as performance increases compared to the standard Titan/*80 Ti line of cards, that's simply a denser VRAM package, nothing else.. in fact it's often slightly slower because of it.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

Deleted
    titan V is alrdy out and is 10%-15% more powerful than a 1080ti/titan , my guess is that the performance wise the 2070 will be slightly slower than a 1080ti and the 2080 will be slightly faster than the 1080ti; just remember gaming pc is always the last consumer chip companies care or focus, amd nvidia intel are all in to take as much profit as they can while crypto proof of work remains , once proof of stake hits then we are going to be back to sweet 300usd nice gaming GPUs

is there a general consensus that it will be 2xxx and not 11xx? Haven't been following the news on these sorry.

11xx would make more sense when looked from numbers point of view, otherwise we are skipping 10 generations of numbers.
    2xxx would make more sense cause everyone loves bigger numbers and a huge 2 in front means new!!

Still, I think most people fall into the "not very good with math" trap such as the trick/joke question of "what's 1040+1040? 2080. 10 more, 2090. 10 more. 3000!!!! - no 2100"
    Last edited by Jervaise; 2018-02-28 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jervaise View Post
    is there a general consensus that it will be 2xxx and not 11xx? Haven't been following the news on these sorry.
    i think it is all guesswork until nvidia officially announces (even leaks can be placeholder names).

i kinda hope they steer clear of 11xx and 2xxx and go with something else entirely.. i mean it wasn't that long ago i replaced my girlfriends GTX 580 and now amd are selling a 580..
    not immediately confusing, but i feel bad for the not so tech savvy people out there who might be having issues with their brand new 580.. but all the google results are telling them to open their nvidia control panel and adjust x/y/z.

i'm not sure where else they can go with a new naming scheme, but i suppose that's why they have a whole marketing and branding department and don't email me for suggestions.

11xx would make more sense when looked from numbers point of view, otherwise we are skipping 10 generations of numbers.
    meh, they went from 9xxx to 1xx .. or even 2xx? i think the 1xx might've just been 9xxx's re-branded.. *shrug* numberings have been weird for a long time.. i think amd went from 7xxx to 2xx as well.. but maybe that is because their cpus were 8xxx?
    Last edited by the boar; 2018-02-28 at 01:23 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khuzdul View Post
    titan V is alrdy out and is 10%-15% more powerful than a 1080ti/titan , my guess is that the performance wise the 2070 will be slightly slower than a 1080ti and the 2080 will be slightly faster than the 1080ti; just remember gaming pc is always the last consumer chip companies care or focus, amd nvidia intel are all in to take as much profit as they can while crypto proof of work remains , once proof of stake hits then we are going to be back to sweet 300usd nice gaming GPUs
    Incorrect.

The Titan V is anywhere from 1% to 43% faster in games depending on whether or not the games can use the considerably larger amount of CUDA cores or not.
    But the huge difference here is that the Titan V is actually the first Titan card that doesn't share it's "consumer" uArch nor GPU die where all previous Titans had.

The Titan V is by all means NOT a gaming card, doesn't mean it can't.

Where the companies may indeed be raking in money from miners and they have no reason to stop... ignoring gamers is going to hurt them more than anything because gamers are the one constant buyer which is also the origin of the companies in question.

Enterprise is technically never the first but the last in technological progression as length of assurance testing is considerably longer than consumer base.

Think of it this way:
    Consumers drive the Ferraris, Porsches and Lamborghinis ... Enterprises drive the Bentleys, AMGs, Rolls Royces etc.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment