Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

i cant start ffxiv

the title may not seem computer related, but im not so sure.
    i cant log into ffxiv. i put my password in & can click on the play directx 11 icon.
    once i do that & get to the main screen to start the game, my curser just goes over start like there's nothing there.
    neither start, data centre, movies, configuration or exit will let me click on it.
    when i go into my task bar to try and close the window, a bar will appear ingame asking if i want to "exit the game?"
    again, i cant click on the icon saying "ok", as it appears not to be there when my mouse scrolls over it.
    the only way i can get out of the game is to reboot my pc.
    i have 2 other mmo's on my pc, both of which i dont have a problem with.
    any ideas what might be the problem here?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Uninstall, re-install.
    tried it. it took a few hours to install again & its still the same.
    i spoke to a local pc guy in the area & he thinks i may need a new monitor as im using a 22" tv atm & the settings for the tv is too low.
    ive ordered a 22" monitor from amazon. it should arrive friday, weather permitting.
    fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by peaky blinder View Post
    tried it. it took a few hours to install again & its still the same.
    i spoke to a local pc guy in the area & he thinks i may need a new monitor as im using a 22" tv atm & the settings for the tv is too low.
    ive ordered a 22" monitor from amazon. it should arrive friday, weather permitting.
    fingers crossed.
    I think you likely have something else going on. If the monitor displays everything else just fine, it should display the game just fine. If it was having problems displaying the game, it would not leave your desktop up there. Alt+F4 would work. Ctrl+Alt+Del, task manager, end task would work. I can almost 100% say it's not the monitor/TV.

That's not to say I know what it is, but I can say it highly unlikely that it is that.

Deleted
    So... Does your PC meet minimum requirements for the game?

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm trying to wrap my brain around that. I've heard the launcher having issues with ffxivboot.exe needing admin rights and compatibility with Windows XP of all things but nothing quite like this.

What OS and pc specs do you have? Do you increase the scale of the UI on Windows in the display properties?
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Silly question, but do you have a controller hooked up?
    i just play with a mouse and keyboard, mate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    I'm trying to wrap my brain around that. I've heard the launcher having issues with ffxivboot.exe needing admin rights and compatibility with Windows XP of all things but nothing quite like this.

What OS and pc specs do you have? Do you increase the scale of the UI on Windows in the display properties?
    i run windows 10,
    my processor is an intel core i5-4460 cpu @ 3.20ghz, 3201 mhz, 4 cores, 4 logical processor,
    with an nvidia geforce gt740 graphics card

Were you able to play the game before without problems or has it never worked?

The minimum requirement listed is a GTX750. GT740 might sound close, but it's far from actually. If the game worked before, this shouldn't be the problem though.

Game refresh rate set higher than the TV monitor can support?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Fitzherbert View Post
    Were you able to play the game before without problems or has it never worked?

The minimum requirement listed is a GTX750. GT740 might sound close, but it's far from actually. If the game worked before, this shouldn't be the problem though.
    it only did it previously once or twice in the last few months, tbh.
    just wired up a new pc monitor & its made no difference.
    maybe its the graphics card after all.
    i cant afford a gtx, not at those prices. what would you recommend about the £100 mark on a graphics card?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kazer View Post
    Game refresh rate set higher than the TV monitor can support?
    that was true, but even with a new pc monitor, i still cant log in once im at the loading screen.
    Last edited by mmoc4e24d898ce; 2018-03-01 at 04:55 PM.

Deleted
    Should return the monitor and spend it all on a gpu.
    the thought was there, but aion looks so much better now

15+ Year Old Account
    Try the following as something like this sounds like either a card limitation or driver issue:

Step 01: Download the Display Driver Uninstaller HERE
    Step 02: Download the latest nVidia driver package HERE
    Step 03: Unpack the DDU package.
    Step 04: Run the EXE inside of the DDU package and when it asks you where to unzip it say "C:\DDU"
    Step 05: Right click on the Display Driver Uninstaller executable in C:\DDU\ and "Run as Administrator"
    Step 06: When the window opens click on the "Options" menu top left of that window.
    Step 07: Make sure the bottom option is ticked and click OK/Accept on the bottom.
    Step 08: Close the Display Driver Uninstaller window entirely.
    Step 09: Re-run the Display Driver Uninstaller executable from C:\DDU\ as administrator again, same as above.
    Step 10: When the next window pops up it asks you where to run this programme, select "Safe Mode (recommended)" and click OK.
    Step 11: Whilst the computer is rebooting to safe mode unplug your Ethernet cable for your internet from the PC.
    Step 12: Windows will have rebooted into safe mode with giant icons and buttons, this is normal, do not panic.
    Step 13: Display Driver Uninstaller window will pop up on the screen for itself, simply click the huge button top left saying "Clean & Restart"
    Step 14: After step 13 has finished the PC will reboot to normal Windows, install the driver you downloaded from Step 02.
    Step 15: When asked for an Express or Custom install you select "Custom".
    Step 16: After you've selected "Custom" you will get a choice list of what to install, leave everything ticked and bottom left of the window "Clean Install" as well.
    Step 17: After the package is installed entirely you restart the PC for good measure normally.
    Step 18: Plug your Ethernet cable back in for your Internet connection.
    Step 19: Try again on Final Fantasy XIV.
    Step 20: Report back here for success or failure.

Short and simple, done in 5 minutes... Get to it!
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

Deleted
    i think not, but ty for the advice

15+ Year Old Account
    i think not, but ty for the advice
    So let me get this straight..
    You'd rather spend 100 GBP on something than spend 5 minutes trying something that is extremely easy to do of which the download of the nVidia drivers will likely take longer than the entire process listed above?

Did I get that right?

Also as a sidenote ... the game supports resolutions down to 1024x768, your TV would have to be almost 15 - 18 years old not to have that resolution for support in FFXIV, that "PC tech" is likely talking out of his/her arse.
    Physical size of a TV has little to do with resolution capability, that 22" TV may be 720p and it'd still be supported by pretty much any game, including future games 10 years from now.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    So let me get this straight..
    You'd rather spend 100 GBP on something than spend 5 minutes trying something that is extremely easy to do of which the download of the nVidia drivers will likely take longer than the entire process listed above?
    in a word, yes.

i have little to no knowledge of pc's & yes, i would rather spend my hard earned money on a new graphics card that will last me 18 months or so & a possible new psu, than to screw up.
    when i went to school, there were no computers. the little i have learned over the years are from former wow/aion players
    not everyone on mmo-c, like yourself, has the confidence to try such things in case of dropping a bollock (as we say in the uk).
    on a lighter note, im really quite pleased with my new monitor & as i look after things, it should be a good investment
    i genuinely thank you for your time, but its just not me to try such things
    Last edited by mmoc4e24d898ce; 2018-03-01 at 10:18 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    in a word, yes.

i have little to no knowledge of pc's & yes, i would rather spend my hard earned money on a new graphics card that will last me 18 months or so & a possible new psu, than to screw up.
    when i went to school, there were no computers. the little i have learned over the years are from former wow/aion players
    not everyone on mmo-c, like yourself, has the confidence to try such things in case of dropping a bollock (as we say in the uk).
    on a lighter note, im really quite pleased with my new monitor & as i look after things, it should be a good investment
    i genuinely thank you for your time, but its just not me to try such things
    Very well ... it is your choice but regardless of what you think though it is literally easier to do the above than plugging in a new graphics card.

However a graphical upgrade from a GT 740 will be noticeable but just keep in mind you may need to re-visit the above step-list in the future for other issues.

I dunno if it still has the option but maybe try editing the graphics options from the launcher and select Direct X 9 instead of 11. Might help *shrug* My old PC had issues and would do crazy stuff on DX11 and I noticed a massive improvement when I used DX9. You aren't gonna break anything if you swap that setting

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasriel View Post
    I dunno if it still has the option but maybe try editing the graphics options from the launcher and select Direct X 9 instead of 11. Might help *shrug* My old PC had issues and would do crazy stuff on DX11 and I noticed a massive improvement when I used DX9. You aren't gonna break anything if you swap that setting
    already tried it mate, its still the same unfortunately.

already tried it mate, its still the same unfortunately.
    aw darn! that's a shame. Hopefully you fix it soon

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

15+ Year Old Account
    Did you read the thread? The OP’s card doesn’t meet the minimum requirements for the game...
    Completely irrelevant, the base features of any series of cards are the same (shader models etc.) in general.
    You can still run stuff even though it's not in the minimum requirements area.

Perfect example of this is running Far Cry 4 ... where the minimum requirements are a quad core CPU where the game actually runs perfectly fine on Dual Cores even.
    Then Ubisoft patched this out and you had to use a hack to get it running again...

Minimum requirements are a guideline and do not mean "It won't run ... period!".
    It simply means performance might be too low from what the developer means for you to run the game with, nothing more and nothing less.

If the minimum requirement would be upheld as strongly as that it'd mean f.ex. that all GTX 600 series cards would be unusable because they have lower shader models or DX tier offerings than is required to play the game.

You could make an analogy for a Nissan Leaf trying to run a record on the Nürburgring ... the Leaf is never going to make that record time (unless it's the slowest record, who knows) but it WILL run the track.
    Same with graphics cards.