Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by davesignal View Post
    Don't. It's F&F alpha. Beta is when you should start worrying.
    If this was my first go around, then I'd agree. But if you have no changes going into an expansion, then they feel the core gameplay/identity of a spec is fine and that the majority of work will be numbers changes. The problem is, while all three of our specs are functional, they aren't really more than proc management. With two of the specs losing ways to generate their procs, leading to fewer spells in the rotation, and Arcane getting nothing...overall the class is looking very pale when compared to something like Ret, Surv, or Demo.
    BfA Beta Time

Frankly I'd be elated if Arcane went into BFA exactly the way it is now. This is the most fun I've had playing Arcane since Wrath, and the spec needs very little in the way of changes right now-- what little changes there have been so far look good, but change purely for the point of saying 'we changed you' is unnecessary.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wait, did we lose Time Warp? Read in the Priest forum that only Shamans bring lust now, but didn't see that change anywhere.
    BfA Beta Time

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Wait, did we lose Time Warp? Read in the Priest forum that only Shamans bring lust now, but didn't see that change anywhere.
    That sounds unlikely. If it were true it'd have been datamined by now.

Also, Blizzard recently they saw battle rez as the big defensive cooldown brought by several classes, and bloodlust is the big offensive cooldown brought by several classes.

As Hunters will be able to choose to bring Bloodlust, then I doubt Mages will lose Time Warp.

Ignore literally any doomsaying that comes out of the priest forum, they're panicky dopes who freak out over the slightest datamining error.

Think i might have a hard time choosing between my Mage and Warlock to main in BFA, The Mage performs well start-end of expansions but ultimately, all 3 specs are somewhat boring, even more so i imagine with lost of artifact and abilities. Or maybe 7-8 years of playing the same class is finally taking its toll. Either way, Demo Warlock looks to be shaping up into a fun spec, at least in the alpha, and Destro has some new stuff too. Safe to say that no rotational changes will come to mages in the foreseeable future?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beats Per Minute View Post
    Think i might have a hard time choosing between my Mage and Warlock to main in BFA, The Mage performs well start-end of expansions but ultimately, all 3 specs are somewhat boring, even more so i imagine with lost of artifact and abilities. Or maybe 7-8 years of playing the same class is finally taking its toll. Either way, Demo Warlock looks to be shaping up into a fun spec, at least in the alpha, and Destro has some new stuff too. Safe to say that no rotational changes will come to mages in the foreseeable future?
    It's still quite early in Alpha so nothing is set in stone.
    I don't think mages have been really touched that much either, so I think more changes will pop up.

Honestly I'd want there to be more changes, most of the specs besides Arcane are quite dull to play.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    It's still quite early in Alpha so nothing is set in stone.
    I don't think mages have been really touched that much either, so I think more changes will pop up.

Honestly I'd want there to be more changes, most of the specs besides Arcane are quite dull to play.
    The lack of NYI and placeholder in our talent trees is a bit worrisome. I feel they are overall super happy with how Mages turned out in Legion and want to change as little as possible moving forward. This is either great or terrible depending on how you feel about the class.
    BfA Beta Time

10+ Year Old Account
    The lack of NYI and placeholder in our talent trees is a bit worrisome. I feel they are overall super happy with how Mages turned out in Legion and want to change as little as possible moving forward. This is either great or terrible depending on how you feel about the class.
    I uh.. I can't say I'm too thrilled about that.
    Sure, I feel like Frost is actually very nice along with Arcane but.. having the same toys for another expansion feels a bit eh.

Sure, I feel like Frost is actually very nice along with Arcane but.. having the same toys for another expansion feels a bit eh.
    how is a spec that's damage relies on spamming one ability and getting random procs that you have to munch nice? its badly designed at its core.

If it's not broke, don't fix it. That's how you get problems. Arcane is, most certainly, not broke.

If it's not broke, don't fix it. That's how you get problems. Arcane is, most certainly, not broke.
    I tend to disagree, and i played it a lot in every possibile content (even now in Antorus Mythic, on fights that allow it of course).

Arcane works fine, but it has one major issue: RNG. I have seen pulls with a difference of more than 600k dps, based only on how much missiles procs i get before and during my burst phase and, in addition to it, how many times Rule of Threes procs when i use those missiles.

So not only we need to rely on a proc to use them, when we do have them we still need to rely on another proc to actually deal the damage. And this needs to happen between 3 or 4 times per fight, depending on its lenght. If one of these fails, the damage plummets to insanely low levels compared to other specs. Never i have seen such proc reliance on a spec to actually deal its intended purpose.

That said, Blizzard knows this. They already made us able to cast Missiles at will, and changed the proc so that it provides free ones; they also transformed Rule of Threes into a talent that is completely reliable (since it depends on how much mana you have which, luckly, we can do something about).

I am eager to see what we'll end up with in the AoE department, because as of now we completely lost the ability to generate charges with an AoE skill, which means we'll be stuck Arcane Blasting after every Barrage... not the best feeling in the world.
    Last edited by The Archmage; 2018-03-01 at 11:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kheath812 View Post
    how is a spec that's damage relies on spamming one ability and getting random procs that you have to munch nice? its badly designed at its core.
    Because that's the only thing Blizzard knows how to design and that's literally what Arcane has been since forever.
    I'm not saying that it's ideal, but atleast it plays better in Legion than it has done in previous iterations which I'm happy about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Because that's the only thing Blizzard knows how to design and that's literally what Arcane has been since forever.
    I'm not saying that it's ideal, but atleast it plays better in Legion than it has done in previous iterations which I'm happy about it.
    I still like the WotLK/Cata version better, but that's just me.
    BfA Beta Time

10+ Year Old Account
    Well as always, people like different things.
    I enjoyed Cata a fair bit but that might have been due to legendary staff + the Fondler Shaghelm fight where you can just tunnel 100% increased damage into him. I still personally think the Legion version of Arcane is superior when it comes to mechanics and overall feel.

The current version is very similar to the WoTLK version. The Cata version was very dissimilar to the WoTLK version-- WoTLK Arcane had you slowly depleting your mana pool, ensuring you had enough left to spend during Arcane Power and Icy Veins (like Legion Arcane, sans Icy Veins), while Cataclysm Arcane had you do a mana-neutral rotation outside of your burn phase to maximize the Mana Adept bonus.

In conclusion, your post is a land of contrasts.

15+ Year Old Account
    The current version is very similar to the WoTLK version. The Cata version was very dissimilar to the WoTLK version-- WoTLK Arcane had you slowly depleting your mana pool, ensuring you had enough left to spend during Arcane Power and Icy Veins (like Legion Arcane, sans Icy Veins), while Cataclysm Arcane had you do a mana-neutral rotation outside of your burn phase to maximize the Mana Adept bonus.

In conclusion, your post is a land of contrasts.
    I forgot the "s" after version. As in, I liked the WotLK/Cata versions better. I can't stand Arcane Charges, RoP, and half the stuff the spec has now. Playing around high haste and mastery levels in the old days was fun for me, not so much anymore. Hell, I miss IA being a thing on fights and learning to time that to max damage.
    BfA Beta Time

Incanter's Absorption was pretty cool, I'll give you that much, but Arcane Charges are mostly just an official codification of the debuff Arcane Blast put on you back in the day.

I still like Rune of Power, I think it fits well into the spec thematically and mechanically.

10+ Year Old Account
    Incanter's Absorption was pretty cool, I'll give you that much, but Arcane Charges are mostly just an official codification of the debuff Arcane Blast put on you back in the day.

I still like Rune of Power, I think it fits well into the spec thematically and mechanically.
    I think Rune of Power is going nowhere to be honest. I don't like it, but I think it's time we reconcile ourselves to it being around for the future.

On another note, heading to sleep REALLY shortly after I type this but something might have just happened with Fire Mage talents in the latest build.

Pyroclasm Name changed from "Cinderstorm" to "Pyroclasm". Row 7, Column 2. Spell: Cinderstorm Pyroclasm
    Searing Touch Name changed from "Conflagration" to "Searing Touch". Row 1, Column 3. Spell: Conflagration Searing Touch

NEW Pyroclasm Consuming Hot Streak has a 15% chance to make your next non-instant Pyroblast cast within 15 sec deal 300% additional damage.
    Tier 7 Talent, in place of Cinderstorm
    NEW Searing Touch Scorch deals 300% increased damage and is a guaranteed Critical Strike when the target is below 30% health.
    Tier 1 Talent, in place of Conflagration

Oh my god!

These are amazing changes! Preserving the gameplay of two of our best legendaries.

And Cinderstorm is dead!!!

Sad to lose Conflagration though, would have preferred Firestarter to get it in the neck. Oh well.

GG Blizzard!

All we need now is baseline three fire blast charges and Fire is probably set.
    Last edited by Obelisk Kai; 2018-03-07 at 12:24 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Adding two necessary legendaries as talents almost makes two new necessary talents. I don't understand why they are so against just giving us some new things baseline?

Also, with Comet Storm showing up for Fire and Arcane, that should mean it's being taken away as a talent for Frost, so something else should go there now. Wonder what it would be.
    BfA Beta Time