Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    It doesn't really matter why someone does it.. The fact remains that it is possible
    Fail to see the "win" part there. I am sorry if a person has to pay for M+ boost, he ain't winning shit lel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saphyron View Post
    you have never been able to tell if a player is good enough.

just because some lad has good friends and gets to join for fun in higher progression teams after farm has ended does not mean he is good.
    and paying gold for getting into the spot has been a thing since before world of warcraft existed. happened in everquest as well.
    Ofc you can, if he is geard and knows tactics then thats a straightforward conclusion regarding that player.
    We are talking about third party services, where everybodu technically can use their irl money to get boosted, somewhere where no other guild would boost you ONLY for gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Its a real problem when LFR player who does 500k dps buys a full mythic ML boost and with +30ilvl ends up doing 700k dps, the LFR player is now pretty much GOD and will win on dps on every fight after that with his new mythic gear and mythic skills.

Besides, the ONLY ppl who buys raid boost for real money are ppl who are too shit to even do normal raids, so why does it matter, shit players remain shit, nothing gained or lost.
    AH sh*t i hate those lfr players stealing my raidspot so sad this could happen

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I see mage tower skin and stuff being "sold" daily in trade chat... a solo challenge, so that means they gotta play your account, or they might just steal it instead.

What happens with gold however , is mostly legal, the above is not.
    Last edited by Teri; 2018-03-02 at 01:15 PM.

Are we pretending that mythic boosting isn't a thing or something? You can effectively have anything in the game by paying with your wallet. People are always looking to sell shiny things
    Still not "pay2win". You can't say a game is "pay2win" just because some players go outside the rules and demand real life money to run you through some of the content. That's basically saying a simple game of "go fish" among players is "pay2win" because one of the players could offer to pay the others to let him win with a bit of cash. That's like saying even a simple "rock-paper-scissors" game is "pay2win" because one of the players can pay the other to let him win.

I don't even understand this topic. Wow isn't pay 2 win at all in any shape or form.
    Pay2win means you can buy power with money. You can buy gold with money and power (gear) with gold. Neither of which is illegal in the game.
    Not saying, that this is a big problem, because MMOs are much more complex than "have good gear->win the game", but as long as you can legaly buy power with money in WoW, so it is most definetely pay to win in some shapes and forms.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    WoW token is same. In order to get gold, they must hit your wallet. And I didn't say "just raiding boosts".
    You’re missing the point. Wow token gives you gold ofc, you can purchase ingame boostw that guilds offer. But there is a limit in what they offer. They can just use boost you through a dungeon/raid and thats it. Third parties do alot more and cheaply. That is where pay 2 win comes in, you can even buy wow pvp rank 1 gladiator title, this shouls not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Still not "pay2win". You can't say a game is "pay2win" just because some players go outside the rules and demand real life money to run you through some of the content. That's basically saying a simple game of "go fish" among players is "pay2win" because one of the players could offer to pay the others to let him win with a bit of cash. That's like saying even a simple "rock-paper-scissors" game is "pay2win" because one of the players can pay the other to let him win.
    You stink of denial. Anyone can reach engame and have endgame gear by paying moneys. There is no more pay2win than that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Fail to see the "win" part there. I am sorry if a person has to pay for M+ boost, he ain't winning shit lel.

At the end of the day he won as much as the guy that didnt pay any money but put in the effort..

10+ Year Old Account
    You stink of denial. Anyone can reach engame and have endgame gear by paying moneys. There is no more pay2win than that.

- - - Updated - - -

At the end of the day he won as much as the guy that didnt pay any money but put in the effort..
    You are welcome to try.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skidfromsteamwheedlecarte View Post
    That is where pay 2 win comes in, you can even buy wow pvp rank 1 gladiator title, this shouls not exist.
    I'm sure over half those "services" are just ways to steal people's accounts, like I said, mage tower is like the most obvious one as it's solo.

Even if they don't steal your account/items on it, it's still illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    You are welcome to try.
    Only noobs try. I do it easy

No. WoW is, in fact, a true p2win game in all it's glory.

Since the moment you could buy in game currency with real money.

Shame.
    Is that it? Just that... now its just a over glorified P2W game? Even though if you buy gear off the AH, youre ilvl and experience will get nitpicked to hell. Even you buy a Mythic Raid/Mythic+ run. Your raiding experience will get nitpicked to hell. You buy a boost in pvp. Your experience will be nitpicked to hell. Buying only helps you out gear dead raids and join terrible raiding guilds. Buying PVP boosts will only bring you alienation when actually trying to play with real people.
    AMD Build: | CPU: FX-9590 OEM 8-Core(4.7 GHz) Black Edition | GPU: STRIX R9 380 2GB(x1) | Ram: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Main: Samsung 850 500GB | BU: WDC Caviar Blue 2TB(x2) | Power: Corsair CX500 | Mobo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 [Old faithful!]

Now my living room center piece and open case HTPC.

Deleted
    No. WoW is, in fact, a true p2win game in all it's glory.

Since the moment you could buy in game currency with real money.

Shame.
    That's not how pay to win works my dear.

Pay to win is buying items that are by no other means available in the game other than in a shop gated by irl currency.

Learn the official definitions please, you might get educated on the subject.

If by "address" this problem you mean "fighting legal battles all over the globe", they have been doing this for more than a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by EUPLEB View Post
    That's not how pay to win works my dear.

Pay to win is buying items that are by no other means available in the game other than in a shop gated by irl currency.

Learn the official definitions please, you might get educated on the subject.
    Read his name backwards and you'll learn that any answer is futile.

i'm positive that most people who seem to consider wow pay2win either do not understand the term fully or do not understand the meaning of progress in an MMO game,why do i say that?

let's say that i'm the loser son of a millionaire and a terrible WoW player on top, i can't even clear a +5 dungeon and barely manage to reach 1k rating in arena despite playing for long hours, but i have 2 advantages over other players: i'm never going to work in my life (aka 24hrs/day free time) and i don't know what to do with all my money so i decide to spent 10k $ in WoW to see how it goes

so what can i do with my 10k?

-i can boost a stupid amount of alts to lvl 100, sounds like a terrible use of money, after all why do i even need a bunch of crappy geared alts?

-i can buy pretty much everything boe in terms of transmogs,mounts and pets. Also by using 3rd party services (illegal) i can also get the bop ones but that will cost considerably, that would make me quite fashionable but it doesn't help at all

-i can fake |PvE achievements: that may lead to an easy invite (ilevel is still an issue but let's say that i get boosted for multiple weeks in a row to farm too because i'm that filthy rich) but crap performance will lead to an even easier kick, by insisting on joining raids you don't have the skill to do you merely waste your time (and that of others), none wants to carry around the guy that consistently fails at mechanics and does subpar dps

-i can fake PvP achievements: that would get me invited to some high rank groups, but once again once they see that i don't even know how to interrupt/cc a healer and when to use my trinket, while my positioning is constantly off and i have a tendency of dying like an idiot, what do you think will happen? i'll just get kicked obviously

how does any of these help? all you can do with that money is link some achievs to brag in stupid forums and the general chat, that will certainly make you a more efficient flamer but not a more efficient player

10+ Year Old Account
    p2w in wow is a strange concept for the sole reason that no one can definitively pinpoint "winning". My goals may differ from yours, and who are to say either one of us are more right? To some people, with certain goals, being able to buy gold with real money might feel unfair. And for others it makes no noteworthy difference.
    And even in the cases where someone feels its p2w, its more like pay-for-convenience. You don't gain an advantage over others that they litterally can't obtain without paying themselves. (Like if you could pay for a passive +10% damage boost). You just pay so you dont need to farm the gold yourself.

How does the OP propose this gets dealt with? What steps do you think Blizzard can take that they haven't already taken over and over again to deal with this problem?

And then, at what cost?
    If we could all sit and talk without demonizing one another and attempt to understand the opposite point of view, the collective world would be a better place. Mental bigotry is the worst of all.

I guess you have to explain what is winning to you. If killing a boss is winning, then WoW has always been a P2W. If killing a boss with your own skill is winning, then it's not a P2W. That's all about it.

It's the same for PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by skidfromsteamwheedlecarte View Post
    Obviously, legally speaking, when you follow blizzard’s terms and conditions, this game is not p2win.

I am speaking about third parties that provide services which are technically pay2win. Blizzard has a huge player base, in millions, it is hardly ever they will ban 100% of the players who use those services, which in return this makes for those users a pay2win situation.

I am not going to enlist what those third parties offer, but they will do something for you ingame which probably you will never do or get, for reasons that, you might have no time, the content is hard for you, etc.

Will Blizzard do something about the pay2win problem that third parties offer? I understand that those services existed since vanilla, but try to understand they were very expensive back then, I remember where 1 gold was worth 1 dollar or even more. The problem is now that poor eu countries charge for those services much cheaper hence more players are buying and its putting more fuel to the fire.
    I thought this would be about token buying.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I find it hilarious the OP dredge up this tired and beaten senseless topic again.. I also find it hilarious that a couple of people in this thread think that WoW is pay2win..

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/916373-pc/70019798

"Any multiplayer game that has purchase-able items/abilities/bonuses that give you in-game advantage over other players is pay to win in my book."

And with that excerpt games with a pay 2 win play model, those items that are paid for with real money are often far more superior and not accessible unless paid for and can not be had in the game via normal play..

Last edited by grexly75; 2018-03-02 at 01:40 PM.