Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Low FPS, Wow Only.

So today I realised I had been sitting on wow with low frame rates too long, the gazillion forums I found on the internet are all either too old to be helpful or to do with add-ons.

Being confused because my PC is pretty decent I tried to work out what was being over/under utilised.

The answer is literally everything...

wow seems to only be using 1 core of my Nvidia GTX 1070, at 30%
    CPU use on my i5-6600 @ 3.30Ghz is at 30%
    and Memory use is at 40% of 16GB
    Drivers were updated about 3 days ago but this issue has existed since owning the PC
    I simply do not know where the frames are going
    With everything at Ultra within the game, render scale at 180% and AA on 8x I generally expect to have a slightly lower frame rate but it seems like turning off all add-ons, and putting the game into the lowest possible settings only yeilds about 10 FPS extra.

Edit, apparently I am required to state that I have about 40 FPS

Is there any way to fix this? None of the other games I play seem to have these issues (Legit even pubg runs better on ultra settings)
    Last edited by Lynexia; 2018-03-03 at 02:23 AM.

You didn't even state what your FPS is.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    You didn't even state what your FPS is.
    40, It's low... I mean I assumed that low implies low fps...

Quote Originally Posted by Lynexia View Post
    And with that attitude... Wont... Get... you anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamzi View Post
    And with that attitude... Wont... Get... you anywhere.
    It's not really relevant info, The equipment I have plays everything else at a much higher FPS.. Better more graphic intensive games. Low is anything below 100 with my current setup

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people think 30 is fine, so for them 20 would be low.
    Some people think anything below 120 is low

We don't know your standards

10+ Year Old Account
    Where are you seeing this? In the middle of nowhere? Or in the middle of a raid?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

What kind of monitor? When I play on my laptop (GTX 1060) I get 100+ FPS. Whenever I plug in my old LCD I never get over 50fps.

What display mode do you have ? If it is windowed mode sometimes is being affected by the background fps setting, try boosting that

Quote Originally Posted by TelefonoGatewood View Post
    I doubt your laptop monitor can benefit from that though :-) Not very many 120Hz laptop screens out there. (Hint: Check if 'verrtical sync' is enabled when you plugin your old LCD panel) - but anyway, there's not much point pushing frames beyond your screen refresh rate - you just end up with lot of screen tearing and heated air for nothing
    I'm not trying to find a solution for my old LCD display, I was asking OP about his monitor. I usually cap my FPS at 60.
    OP, you're not capping your wow FPS at 40 are you? There's a setting in display settings to cap your wow FPS.

Deleted
    Make sure you don't have FPS capped in settings.
    Make sure you enable vertical sync in settings.

You didn't mention resolution. If its 4k, it might be normal.

10+ Year Old Account
    No matter what cpu you have, if you max max max literally everything in wow, you're lagging
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    Render Scaling 180%? Possibly this, do you use other forms of anti-aliasing with render scaling enabled?
    I'd also guess that this might be the culprit. At 180% scaling you effectively render 3,24 as many pixels as the resolution, which is a MASSIVE strain on your graphics hardware. Full HD at 200% is basically rendering at 4K and then downsampling to Full HD again.
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2018-03-03 at 10:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not really relevant info, The equipment I have plays everything else at a much higher FPS.. Better more graphic intensive games. Low is anything below 100 with my current setup
    It is relevant, for 40 FPS isn't considered low. Low is about 10-20. Many players run the game fine at 30 even.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    Render Scaling 180%? Possibly this, do you use other forms of anti-aliasing with render scaling enabled?
    Uhm, yeah, that might need a little tweaking.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Edit, apparently I am required to state that I have about 40 FPS
    That's normal because WoW is a CPU whore. Also there is so little difference between setting 7 (It was 10 in WOD) and max settings now so I do not recommend running above it.

You are not going to get 60+ 100% of the time on ultra settings in WoW period. Ultra runs like shit in a game that already runs like shit due to relying on Single Core performance.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Did you try starting with a fresh install?

Do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW isn't optimized for modern PCs, it has shit performance no matter what you're running on ultra.

I only run max settings in open world questing, you should custom in your raid and BG options to be lower and expect FPS drops when you're in a custom group like invasions cuz the game can't handle that for shiiiiit. That's my experience anyway and my PC is higher spec than yours.. yes I run every other game maxed out fine, but WoW don't care lol.

You definitely got some issue if you only got 10 more fps at low settings though.
    Last edited by Lazuli; 2018-03-03 at 12:52 PM.

Some settings in ultra are so much worse in Performance for that little graphic gain. Shadows, depth effecs and sunshines. Put the render scale back to 100% , tweak some unnecessary options to high or lower.
    I run the game on high (7) with some options 1 down at 1920x1080p 60 fps even in 30 man raids.

The decision between performancr and visual quality is key.
    Dying could endanger your health!

Quote Originally Posted by Creativlol View Post
    Some settings in ultra are so much worse in Performance for that little graphic gain. Shadows, depth effecs and sunshines. Put the render scale back to 100% , tweak some unnecessary options to high or lower.
    I run the game on high (7) with some options 1 down at 1920x1080p 60 fps even in 30 man raids.

The decision between performancr and visual quality is key.
    I dropped the render scales all the way down to 70% to test and had no increases in FPS so It's not the culprit.
    Unfortunately I've tried everything on the thread so far (before I posted it) bar the xbox thing, which turned out to already be off I probably had to do it before for some reason.

I just did a double check and putting the render scale from 100% to 180% only cost me 2 FPS so I doubt it's the issue

Your system should be able to run the game at 60 fps in 1920x1080 just fine.
    Reset everything you can to the recommended settings and have a look at the advanced options.
    I think one of them has something to do with the render scale when it is not set to 100%.
    When you test your fps in dalaran, avoid looking at the arkan eye symbol at the flightmaster(the spot you spawn in dala).

When the ingame settings fail to achieve stable fps, your hardware/software must be the reason.
    Maybe they are faulty or some programms interfere in the background.

Make screenshots from your settings.
    Last edited by Critical92; 2018-03-04 at 12:00 AM.
    Dying could endanger your health!