... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Jaw drop

You people actually exist?
    People like to support a game they enjoy spending time in, who knew

10+ Year Old Account
    "pay us to make games go faster"
    *starts designing games so you will find parts tedious enough to pay to get through.

Deleted
    I'm certain this has been a thing in Mobile Gaming for years now?

Didn't South Park even do an episode on it?

I remember the TR reboot having some form of credit system you could buy them with real money for "cards".. to get perks in your speed runs and stuff... of course you could just use a trainer or cheatengine to do whatever you want anyway... seems like yes, in some cases they are trying to make you pay for cheats... this might work on consoles.. but it surely won't on single player PC games..

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    People like to support a game they enjoy spending time in, who knew
    If they want to support devs then they can always just donate money directly to the bank account.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eucaliptus View Post
    Why wouldnt they?
    People with money always had advantage everywhere, since stoneage.
    No reason it would be different in games.
    So if you buy board game you demand your friends to give you advantage if you are richer than them?
    Do you understand what is a GAME?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    If they want to support devs then they can always just donate money directly to the bank account.

- - - Updated - - -
    Or they could, you know, pay for something they like.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    The gaming industry has changed forever and there is no turning back. People are willing to pay which is why gaming companies insist putting them in in order to stay competitive in the market. This is due to gaming development becomming more and more expensive. Frankly, i try to stay away from loot crates games unless they are purely cosmetic which i don’t mind at all like overwatch and dota 2.
    TBF, game development didn't become that much more expensive, salaries of the majority of grunts, non-lead and non-senior devs, artists, etc, stagnated for quite a long time. BTW, lol at 100k/year as a starting salary for a game developer, it's ~70k in AAA studios, dunno who started that 100k trend, but I see this figure flying around quite a lot. Gaming industry is one of the worst for a programmer to work in.

The audience is times bigger than it used to be.

Marketing budgets are through the roof though, when it comes to big titles they're as big as dev budgets, whereas in the past they're much and much more modest.
    Last edited by ls-; 2018-03-03 at 02:42 PM.

When you give game developers money so that you would play a game less, you know something is wrong in the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    These days they're just called trainers
    Massive grey area with Cheats too, as they edit game code (without permission). So if companies go the way of selling cheats then gonna be a nice legal battle over that. Most get by this by only offering singleplayer trainers but;

Cheatengine recently got fucked by some company, even though they only really did singleplayer cheats.

Quote Originally Posted by Flo-wance View Post
    Massive grey area with Cheats too, as they edit game code (without permission). So if companies go the way of selling cheats then gonna be a nice legal battle over that. Most get by this by only offering singleplayer trainers but;

Cheatengine recently got fucked by some company, even though they only really did singleplayer cheats.
    Law is fucked up imo. If I bought a game I should be able to do whatever I want to it (If it's a local singleplayer) from editing the game files to destroying the CD. I get the case of companies who have a multiplayer only game but ehhh that's still kind of on the line.

I remember the days when you went to your local shop, bought a copy of a complete game, went home and enjoyed it These days it lootboxes, DLCs and whatnot. Buying COD or battlefield today is not just the copy of the game, but numerous dlcs to experience all of it. it sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    aslong as lootcrates stay like overwatch and be purely cosmetic i have no problem with em, that bullshit with EA and starwars however is another story
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    aslong as lootcrates stay like overwatch and be purely cosmetic i have no problem with em, that bullshit with EA and starwars however is another story
    Agree. I play Overwatch alot and havent bought lootcrates. That said, I would imagine kids would find it very tempting, either with own money or with parents money. Since its bough online and you never see the money, it can be easy to spend more than you should cause you never "see" the money. If you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    Or they could, you know, pay for something they like.
    So dont pull "just support the dev team" card. Because it falls flat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Fixed it for you =P

But yeah, I understand this kind of shit in F2P games… this, this is just greed over quality kind of bullshit.
    Dont throw every game to one bag. There are shits and there are great games.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Oh, but I’m not. Warframe for example, its a great fucking game with a lot of “time savers”, any player can just jump into it, throw money at the screen and achieve a fuck ton of shit that a non-paying player will have to grind days for ~ yet it allows the non-paying players to trade items for the paid-currency, allowing them to have access to every without having to pay for it.

It’s a fucking great system for a free-to-play game, one of the best in my opinion.
    Actually IMO warframe is a example of how NOT to do f2p, because of severe boring as fuck grind designed to make throwing money more appealing.

Path of Exile is better example IMO. As was currently deceased Marvel Heroes.

There is of course LoL and Dota, and basically majority of other MOBAs like Smite etc which are also great value as a f2p title, with Dota 2 being the best.

Most mainstream f2p games are actually pretty awesome from consumers standpoint, nothing suprising, this is one of the reason they are mainstream.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    Pretty much the entire mobile game market.
    and it should have stayed there.

I remember when they said mobile gaming would kill the console/PC gaming market. We laughed then, but little did we know how true that statement was. We thought they meant games played on phones and tablets, when really it meant the cancer that is mobile game design injected into console/PC gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharjo View Post
    It's almost like game devs need to implement more ways to make money to financially justify the huge investment that developing big games requires. Colour me shocked.
    If only there was a way that benefited both the consumer and the developer/publisher like... making the game actually worth buying in the first place?
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    making the game actually worth buying in the first place?
    That sounds kinda difficult. Maybe we can think of some kind of workaround?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    If only there was a way that benefited both the consumer and the developer/publisher like... making the game actually worth buying in the first place?
    Yeah, I can see how that pitch to investors would go. 'I'll make the game good, so people will buy it, I promise this will work!'.