Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Welcome to the list of games I'll never buy or play far cry

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    So if you buy board game you demand your friends to give you advantage if you are richer than them?
    Do you understand what is a GAME?
    When I was playing Warhammer 40k a lot my friends with more spare cash (or more willingness to spend that cash) could buy an excess of models to tailor their armies to each opponent whilst the rest of us went for a balanced list suitable for varied opponents.

In gaming, particularly PC Gaming, people with more spare cash (or more willingness to spend that cash) can buy faster/better machines, bigger screens and superior controllers, all of which can give some sort of advantage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    I remember the days when you went to your local shop, bought a copy of a complete game, went home and enjoyed it These days it lootboxes, DLCs and whatnot. Buying COD or battlefield today is not just the copy of the game, but numerous dlcs to experience all of it. it sucks.
    I remember the days you'd buy a game, take it home, try to load it 3 or 4 times then bury it at the back of a drawer because computer shops would not refund a product that had been opened even if it was broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post

I remember the days you'd buy a game, take it home, try to load it 3 or 4 times then bury it at the back of a drawer because computer shops would not refund a product that had been opened even if it was broken.
    And what if you enjoy it and dont want to refund it....?

Also refunds these days are still just as hard, if not even harder

When I was playing Warhammer 40k a lot my friends with more spare cash (or more willingness to spend that cash) could buy an excess of models to tailor their armies to each opponent whilst the rest of us went for a balanced list suitable for varied opponents.

In gaming, particularly PC Gaming, people with more spare cash (or more willingness to spend that cash) can buy faster/better machines, bigger screens and superior controllers, all of which can give some sort of advantage.

- - - Updated - - -

Really? I could change if I wanted to. That sucks.

That said, what I wanted to say with that was that now you dont dish out money 1 time for a big game. Want COD? Ok, buy the game. Want to play all maps with your friends over the course of the next year? ok, dish out more money. More and more we see companys push out games that is not even finished or with tons of content cause they save that for a DLC. That sucks donkeyballs. I have the money to buy all that shite, but I refuse to. I used to buy games and drop the expensive dlcs, but now I drop them alltogether. Wont fuel that shite.

But yeah, you are correct. Like in most aspects of life, those with cash and willingly want to use it gets advantage.
    Last edited by crusadernero; 2018-03-03 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexisSanchez View Post
    And what if you enjoy it and dont want to refund it....?

Also refunds these days are still just as hard, if not even harder
    I'm talking about games that literally would not load either due to a bug in the code or damage to the tape.

I'm talking about games that literally would not load either due to a bug in the code or damage to the tape.
    Dont think that ever happened to me with new games. I mean maybe over the years when I was younger and rented games it might have happened once or twice.

But brand new games were no more or less likely to not work than today.

This is pretty much every game though, even wow just implemented a cash grab with the intention of saving time. they just made their leveling process one of the longest and most boring things a person can do with their time... BUT WAIT, for the low price of something overpriced you can skip straight to level 100!!!

this is gaming now, luckily gamers still essentially have all the power, but that power will only be flexed when a company really goes above and beyond when trying to scrape peoples wallets.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharjo View Post
    Yeah, I can see how that pitch to investors would go. 'I'll make the game good, so people will buy it, I promise this will work!'.
    Because there's no historical precedent at all for an amazing game having amazing sales, right?

Nope, gotta monetize the shit out of mediocre games.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Dont think that ever happened to me with new games. I mean maybe over the years when I was younger and rented games it might have happened once or twice.

But brand new games were no more or less likely to not work than today.
    It wasn't that common, most games would at least load (though it wasn't uncommon for games to freeze or crash at certain points) and the bigger problems were developers front-loading all the good bits of a game into the first level for demo tapes with the rest being of notably lower quality, and of course there were always the film and other franchise tie-ins that were mostly low grade dross.

It wasn't that common, most games would at least load (though it wasn't uncommon for games to freeze or crash at certain points) and the bigger problems were developers front-loading all the good bits of a game into the first level for demo tapes with the rest being of notably lower quality, and of course there were always the film and other franchise tie-ins that were mostly low grade dross.
    Eh demo's werent always the first level, and thats silly logic anyway. I mean most of the classics back then were just as good at the end as the start.

I mean spyro, crash bandicoot etc none of them drop in quality to "front load"

And game companys today dont abuse franchise tie ins for easy cash grabs with 0 quality?

Come on dude

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    Because there's no historical precedent at all for an amazing game having amazing sales, right?

Nope, gotta monetize the shit out of mediocre games.
    You're missing the point. No one knows which games will or will not sell well at inception.

Quote Originally Posted by sweatshopkids View Post
    People complaining about money are often the ones without it.
    Complaining perhaps, but those with the most money spend the least on trivial bullshit.
    Dragonflight Nerfs vs fun again show a Blizzard that hasn't learnt a lesson, Actions speak louder than words afterall watch what they do and do not do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharjo View Post
    You're missing the point. No one knows which games will or will not sell well at inception.
    You're 100% correct that this is the case, one which I am well aware of. There's a gamble no matter what, in any industry.

The point I'm trying to make is that more games would make more money if they weren't all made intentionally shitty.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Eh demo's werent always the first level, and thats silly logic anyway. I mean most of the classics back then were just as good at the end as the start.

I mean spyro, crash bandicoot etc none of them drop in quality to "front load"
    I think my "I remember when..." starts off 10-15 years before yours, I thought referring to games on tapes might have tipped you off.

I never played Crash or Spyro, even back when they were new to 3D I wasn't a fan of the cartoon-mascotted platforming collect-a-thons.

And game companys today dont abuse franchise tie ins for easy cash grabs with 0 quality?
    I never said they didn't ('though I haven't played any of the Telltale games so I can't testify to how good they are,) there just seems to be a sense that games companies in the past were all proud craftsmen when there was still a lot happy to put out any piece of crap to make some cash.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    You're 100% correct that this is the case, one which I am well aware of. There's a gamble no matter what, in any industry.

The point I'm trying to make is that more games would make more money if they weren't all made intentionally shitty.
    I don't think they are intentionally shitty (unless we're talking EA, but let's pretend we're not, because they're fucking terrible cancerous tumours on the game development industry), I think that defining what makes a 'good' game is much harder than we all give credit for.

It's easy for us to say 'just make a good game!' but we all spend every minute arguing with each other about this shit, who knows what a good game is? I know what I think is good, as I'm sure you do for you, but who knows how to make a game millions of people will like?

I never said they didn't ('though I haven't played any of the Telltale games so I can't testify to how good they are,) there just seems to be a sense that games companies in the past were all proud craftsmen when there was still a lot happy to put out any piece of crap to make some cash.
    The mainstream has definitely lost it's naivety.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Actually IMO warframe is a example of how NOT to do f2p, because of severe boring as fuck grind designed to make throwing money more appealing.
    Warframe's premium currency is super inefficient to just outright buy from them though. Farming doesn't take that long, and often I just have whatever materials I need for just about any build.

Or alternatively you can buy from players, and contribute to the economy, get prime stuff instead, and often cheaper than just outright buying the frame/weapon from the store.

Deleted

So if you buy board game you demand your friends to give you advantage if you are richer than them?
    Do you understand what is a GAME?
    I dont demand anything, im just using what is offered to me. Nothing else.
    Why wouldnt I understand what is a game?

"time savers" are not new, and where around before loot boxes where even a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    "time savers" are not new, and where around before loot boxes where even a thing.
    So we should celebrate them and raise our drinks to their continued success!!