Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    About a month after release i had enough of my friends talking about it at school and not having a clue what they were talking about so i got my mum to purchase the game for me, Mind you the only real games i had ever played were golden eye on the N64 and Settlers 2/heroes of might and magic 2/3 on the PC so i was quite the noob and the idea of having a game where more than just me and my brothers could play baffled me.
    So i leveled to level 10 on my Human paladin headed to Westfall killed a Harvest Reaper and had a + healing mace drop went to equip it and freaked out when i saw the whole "Soulbound" thing thinking i would be stuck with this mace even at 60 without being able to replace it i freaked out deleted my paladin and remade it exactly the same as i didn't want to be made fun of at 60 with a lowbie mace.

Still have that second paladin to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    lol. the concept you are describing is called Zugzwang ( i think in englisch chess they use the german word too, it means forced to do a specific move that hurts yourself, but its the only choice you have) Your opponent is forced to do something he doesnt want to. Most higher chess games are decided in such scenarios.
    Which is perfectly fine, both players are still playing.
    When you press buttons and nothing happens, that's when something is 100% wrong.

you are not understanding. If someone forces you to do something, that doesnt mean u are playing. U might have the false idea that you are playing, but in reality that pesky warlock is playing you.

Its a integral part of the game, to make your opponent move the way you want / force him to move. The winning opponent is winning because he makes your character behave the way he dictates.

Most wars / battles (in real life) are following this very simple principle.
    You can swap out "that pesky warlock" with alexander the great, napoleon or Odysseus or Charlemagne, and analyse their tacticall behaviour in their big battles.
    "CC" is the name of this very principle transfered to a computer game.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    - I figured that white-looking armor with Intellect must be the bees knees. They made you look clean, and Intellect is always good to have. I played a Hunter.

- I ran into the Barrens, aggroing everything in the zone (was level 10) and died horribly. As I had died however, I spotted a giraffe. A GIRAFFE!!!
    So naturally, I ran back and repeated the process just to get closer to the giraffe.

- I was a keyboard-turning clicker from my start up until the very beginning of MoP.

- I started farming for the Halaa mounts at level 70, rather than reaching 80 and farm them at max level. I also started the Mag'har Talbuk grind, which was beyond a pain in my ass and could've been so much faster had I only gotten to 80 first. But, those memories are very precious so... The joy of being a nub!
    im still a keyboard turner and clicker, i was a mythic raider for a long time, also to be fair in vanilla it was perfectly fine to be a keyboard turner, the game didnt need split second momvement and fighting at the same time so...
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Levelled to mid 30s before someone pointed out to me I haven't spent talent points...

I used the auction house to buy a green headpiece and instead of just bidding I hit the buyout. I spent 32g of my 34g total. Gold wasn't that easy to come by back then.

Deleted
    Leveled a shaman and had no idea what stats to focus on. But I hated the amount of downtime drinking so I focused on spirit. I had so much intellect and spirit that my health as a level 42 was 1200 hp I just frostshocked and melee'd mobs down. Thank god shamans were OP because I actually did not have a hard time on a pvp server. But most people were clueless in the beginning.

So it was *you* that bought all the "of the wolf" gear!

10+ Year Old Account
    Being a really stubborn player in general.

But in context of this thread:
    thinking that WSG is about farming kills.
    refusing to use staffs on my mage
    saying that holy spells do damage to undead players (and being very convinced that it IS how it works, this created a lot of laughs in our guild at expense of my stupidity)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Levelled to mid 30s before someone pointed out to me I haven't spent talent points...
    I always wondered about people like this, how can't you notice a whole new button with an arrow hitting the red mark on your interface? I was so excited to see talent trees for the very first time
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    saying that holy spells do damage to undead players (and being very convinced that it IS how it works, this created a lot of laughs in our guild at expense of my stupidity)
    this is actually a very reasonable expectation, not only from pen-paper D&D but even diablo 1 (undead take increased holy damage). In the same vein I was surprised and a bit disappointed to learn that type of armor vs. type of weapon didn't impact damage, e.g. whether plate or leather vs. blade or bludgeon, only thing that mattered was armor vs. #dmg.

i have read in alpha or beta shackle, exorcise, and holy wrath worked against player undead - similar reasoning to yours since they of course ARE undead.

along the lines of my shooting underwater surprise, I was taken aback that mass didn't matter - a gnome warrior could do same damage as a tauren, essentially - (even killing mobs whose knees were taller than it), with a token base str difference.. This is anther d&d expectation that didn't carry over into wow.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2018-03-02 at 08:26 PM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Did you not play this game in vanilla (13 years ago, when the person you quoted said this happened)? Because your statement about it's duration was most definitely not true at the time.
    I did play back then. Another statement that he made was that things like that have no point in existing now, and I was trying to tell him they don't anymore, that those absurd super long CC's have long been fixed.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

7+ Year Old Account
    I equipped shadowfang, that i unknowingly ninja'd.

on a hunter

The manual listed spirit as the primary stat for priest, so that's what I tried to hoard initially, for a good while actually.

Didn´t know what to do when I died and was a ghost. Made a new char when I died

used the autorogue mod and a speedpad controller that spammed 3333 repeatedly to automate my rogue in raids and mean I could just click it on a mob and afk and go do other things while it died. eventually they made the mod illegal but it came back again after a short while I think but maybe not as good. used to get top dps in my raids

Quote Originally Posted by Pyllypaladin View Post
    That's not dumb, that is absolutely smart.

Oh, you meant the spell Fear...
    As in Feared, the past tense?

Let's see...
    *Thinking that pallys were far superior to warriors just because of healing spells
    *Always jumping while melee dps until level 50ish just because I thought that increased my crit chance :/
    *Vendoring items in the most time consuming way possible by filling up the buyback window (NOT EVER right clicking on something) and then logging off/on to clear it out.
    *Unnecessarily killing mobs to level instead of questing/dungeons
    *Questing in red/orange quest level areas because I didn't know where I was supposed to be.
    *Playing arathi basin around level ~30-40 wayyy too much and being pissed about never winning for days on end.
    *Until I hit 60 and/or learned about raids, I thought all the best gear came from the auction house...
    *Constantly wanting crusader enchant on any pre level 60 weapon I got (a friend spotted me gold while leveling)
    *Thinking all I needed to be a good healer was a healing weapon and offhand, no other +int gear/trinkets needed

10+ Year Old Account
    When I first started playing WoW, I was 11 years old, so I did some pretty dumb things. Here's a few highlights I remember:

- I challenged people to duels in Goldshire for gold. At level 27. The max level cap was 80. When they won, I ran off and ended up in Stranglethorn.
    - When I first learned what FTW meant, I immediately began spamming it in the first battleground I entered right after. Of course, people were pretty annoyed at me.
    - I asked for help in Trade Chat. No, but seriously, I actually asked for some help on a quest in Arathi Highlands, and someone did actually come to help me, but they wanted to voice chat. They asked for my phone number, and being a cautious kid, I didn't want to. Plus, I was super socially awkward, so calling someone would be very problematic. As a payment for the high task of letting me chat with him, I asked him to give me the Mekgineer's Chopper, a mount I really wanted at the time. He never gave me that mount, even after I called him, and he didn't even help me with the quest. That guy was just a dick.
    - Speaking of the Mekgineer's Chopper, I actually found a guy who was willing to sell me the Mekgineer's Chopper when I asked in Trade Chat for someone to give it to me. He said he would make it if I could get the materials, which I stupidly agreed to do. I failed to realize two things, (1) The parts were expensive, I was only level 30, and they were all the way in Northrend. (2) Some of the parts were soulbound. I friended him, and I doubt I ever got back to him about the chopper.

For the record, I did manage to make the Mekgineer's Chopper in Mists of Pandaria, all on my own in fact. Probably one of my greatest personal achievements.
    '
    - I never bought Hamstring on my warrior either. I don't remember why. I just remember never buying it. Ever.
    - When I was level 25, I stuck around in Duskwood grinding wolves in order to reach an appropriate level for Stranglethorn. It wasn't until someone directed me all the way to Desolace when I finally got back on track.
    - Finally, I believe the dumbest thing I ever did in WoW... Was losing my Vanilla WoW account. That had the Blizzard Bear Pet, the Blizzard Bear Mount, all because the game was just too dang hard for my little child brain to understand. I did start when the game first came out, and I played for all of five minutes before I quit, and then I had to purchase a new account and a new game because I lost the old one. Which to this day makes me very, very depressed. Oh, well.
    Isn't it fitting WoW really took a nosedive after 'the Cataclysm'?

Deleted
    In a low level dungeon i attacked a sapped mob.

We wiped.

They told me to not attack the sapped one.

I answered: Who is the sapped one?

I was very cautious and read every spell and quest I got, so I didn't make that many massive mistakes. However, my English wasn't that great, I spent a bit too long time wondering why mobs attacked when I hit them with Feint, even though the spell said it made them less likely to attack me. Also, I was a keyboard turning sub rogue, since no where in game did it state it might not be the best way.
    The biggest mistake I made was that I was absolutely terrified of other players. I was a noob and afraid to show it, so I think I got my first in game friends in WotLK. All through tBC I only played with IRL friends, and never did dungeons, because I was afraid others would judge me for being terrible.