Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I "would like to think" that too, but I don't.

Bottom line, I have seen nothing in the way of evidence of such a thing and absent that I am not going to fabricate a belief in it.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    I find it funny when people say "No. There isn't" like they are dead already and can confirm. Truth is, no one knows. Everyone can believe what they want but seeing people believing that there isn't anything, it's truly a depressive choice. #AvoidAtAllCost
    No one knows an almost infinite number of things we can imagine, chances are we will never find proof of such imaginations. You, nor science can prove that there are alternate realities or that we are in another being's universe or that this is all some virtual simulation, do you seriously believe in either of those scenarios? I personally do not, and neither do I believe in an afterlife.

If someone is going to try to push a claim that an afterlife does exist, the burden of proof is on them. We can acknowledge numerous possibilities of our universe but rational belief is usually withheld until each of them can be proven.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    No, any traditional idea of afterlife seems like complete nonsense.
    This is the most logical answer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    The idea of not believing in the possibility of something after death to me just sounds depressing and sad if I am honest. Even if the possibility is miniscule it's still something to look forward to just to see what happens - the ultimate mystery
    So you prefer believing in something nonsensical rather than the truth? I guess that is why religion is still so popular to day as well.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post

- - - Updated - - -

So you prefer believing in something nonsensical rather than the truth? I guess that is why religion is still so popular to day as well.
    Religion gives people hope and there is nothing wrong with that. Life is hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont imagine there is, i dont consider my existence is any more special than any animal or other living thing and im sure they dont have an afterlife. I dont mind if people think there is and thats great for them!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Religion gives people hope and there is nothing wrong with that. Life is hard.
    If only that was all religion did.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    That's a leap of faith I'm not willing to take, because ultimately all I know for sure about the capabilities of a person come from my experience of being me. I believe the universe is too vast and my understanding too limited to ever accept one "truth" as being the truth. And with that I think we hit a wall as I'm running out of ways to explain my position more clearly. I don't want this to be a debate as I don't want to imply I think you're wrong to put your faith in Islam, it's just a religious faith in any form isn't something I could adopt. My mind makes too clear a distinction between things I believe/want to believe, and things I know for certain to be true.
    fair enough. but know this, you are denying 'possible' truth in favor of subjectively thinking that your understanding is limited to perceive truth. By all means we are limited beings, everything about us is limited, but at the end of the day that doesnt stop us from understanding what the creator revealed to us because if the intent is revelation for mankind with understanding through a prophet then i dont really see the problem. Your last line as i understand it implies that certain things from religion is contrary to what you know is certain to be true, but you have to give examples so i can see where youre coming from.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexisSanchez View Post
    So you think if you rewrote a science book on organic chemistry it would be different and our understanding of chemistry would be different? Or are you nit picking where I said "word for word" And instead of using "large" they use "big" or something?

Scientific testing techniques if done properly should lead to the same answer.
    Why would the books be the same? In 1000 year even without books we would grow in our understanding of science and find new routes and different awnser. Science hasn’t always been the same as findings have evolved and changed as we have figured out more.

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

religion is popular because its nonsensical? or maybe cuz there really is a creator
    Last edited by mmoce8ed29874f; 2018-03-04 at 08:14 AM.

- - - Updated - - -

Science can sound nonsensical as well. Some of the theories about how the universe started are pretty out there. There just happened to be a singularity that contained everything that then just happened to explode. The stuff then just happened to start forming proto suns and those just happened to create heavy metals. Then stuff just happened to form stars and planets. Life just happened to start forming from nonlife. Oh the rules of our universe also just happen to be conducive to this. I'm missing a bunch of stuff that also conveiniantly happens so that we can have this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Why would the books be the same? In 1000 year even without books we would grow in our understanding of science and find new routes and different awnser. Science hasn’t always been the same as findings have evolved and changed as we have figured out more.
    There would be new discoveries and our understanding might be more advance sure. Not gonna suddenly change up the periodic table though. It would be the same. Because theres not suddenly gonna be new properties/elements. Savvy?

I believe in an afterlife. I died again today.

Three of my cooks called in sick, one hurt himself on the mandolin and went to hospital, and another was too drunk to work. That left me and the dishwasher in the kitchen on a Saturday night.

If you can imagine a flailing octopus, that's what I had to be. Eventually I pulled the dishwasher onto the line and gave him a crash course on salad and fryer stations. Meanwhile, I had all 16 burners working on my stovetop, a dozen steaks and salmon fillets on my grill, eight sandwiches working on my flat top, and at least 20 more tickets I hadn't looked at. Even pulled a server who claimed she could cook to make sauces.

So, by the time the night was done, I was dead.

I am, by definition, living in an afterlife. Again.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

As much as I would like for afterlife to exist. I would like to see the future that I wont be seeing. Ect.

But there probably is nothing of the sort waiting afterwards. Everything we know of energy and such things points to that afterlife does not exist.

This saddens me.

This universe of ours is such that everything that has a begining has an end too. Universe itself included.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I had a theory, I would say when you die, basically your body is trained of all its energy, that basically keeps any part of you going. From the neurons firing through your nerves that pump blood through your veins, to the synapsis that do their last thing before shutting off one last time.

In essence everything that was you as in this identity, along with muscle and tissue is gone, but that information is simply carried as yours cells finally die, and that information is transformed in another way.

I think the wave of your consciousness probably returns to a similar stat as it was before you were born, meaning energy that is collected in your cells and develop the way they do here, they just either transform maybe to somewhere or someone else.

I think also depending on how connected you are with others, and how much you developed in that might have a lot to do with how much of that energy is retained as you even if it's otherwise onb some ultra subconscious level. Beyond that, I don't know, but I think just as there's life beyond this planet we can't reach, there are likely other kinds of live that don't even require much distance, that are beyond where we can reach. At least just yet.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

If you actually read Adam's posts you'll see he doesn't say he actually believes in any particular afterlife. He prefers acknowledging that there is a mystery to putting faith in one particular outcome like you do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AlexisSanchez View Post
    So you think if you rewrote a science book on organic chemistry it would be different and our understanding of chemistry would be different? Or are you nit picking where I said "word for word" And instead of using "large" they use "big" or something?

Scientific testing techniques if done properly should lead to the same answer.
    In think they mean it depends on what questions we ask and use science to answer. If we start over from scratch we may not learn the same things in the same order, so in1000 years we may develop a better understanding of chemistry but lack some of the things we currently know about physics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saphano View Post
    religion is popular because its nonsensical? or maybe cuz there really is a creator
    Or maybe, it's simply easier to just shrug off things we don't know and say 'god did it'? Popularity is by no means a measurement of truth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moadar View Post
    Science can sound nonsensical as well. Some of the theories about how the universe started are pretty out there. There just happened to be a singularity that contained everything that then just happened to explode. The stuff then just happened to start forming proto suns and those just happened to create heavy metals. Then stuff just happened to form stars and planets. Life just happened to start forming from nonlife. Oh the rules of our universe also just happen to be conducive to this. I'm missing a bunch of stuff that also conveiniantly happens so that we can have this conversation.
    Being honest and saying we don't know all the details yet, is a valid answer. People not bothering to understand the science behind why the above mentioned occurred is just laziness. Creating a story about a magical creator to explain what we don't yet know is not a rational method of finding the answers to what we don't know either.those questions.

Or maybe, it's simply easier to just shrug off things we don't know and say 'god did it'? Popularity is by no means a measurement of truth.

- - - Updated - - -

Being honest and saying we don't know all the details yet, is a valid answer. People not bothering to understand the science behind why the above mentioned occurred is just laziness. Creating a story about a magical creator to explain what we don't yet know is not a rational method of finding the answers to what we don't know either.those questions.
    The problem is you can't say you don't know while also dismissing the idea of a creator because the fact is we don't know. I agree we shouldn't stop advancing science no matter what our personal beliefs are. Science and our minds are humanities gift weather it was bestowed by a creator or cosmic chance.

Until it's proven, i don't believe in anything. So no, i don't believe in afterlife.

I believe that everything exists and designed for a reason (but I do not believe in anything religious)
    I just do not believe all the things around us are results of coincidence or something, there is some design, and maybe some bigger purpose to everything

In that context, there may be something afterwards, some continuation, but nothing like an afterlife as is described in books and fiction, or anything that we imagine
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    I find it funny when people say "No. There isn't" like they are dead already and can confirm. Truth is, no one knows.
    By that logic santa clause could be real too, there is no proof he does not exist.