Poll: Would you play on a "fresh" realm?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    I like that people are already concerned about the end of the classic server cycle. The first time vanilla ran 25 months or so and even with that time Naxx remains one of the lowest cleared raids of all time. That is a pretty long cycle and that is without a lot of the content being available at the start.

If they want the least amount of effort and the most return, staggering the patch and content cycles is going to be the best way to do this. Recreate the experience from the ground up, the QoL patches are fine to implement out of the gate and some of the content (pvp stuff etc). But if they want the raiding cycle to work out slowing it down and releasing it on a gate system is going to be the best for blizzard. Maybe even the same spacing as the original run, who knows. But a server wipe and character delete is going to be a hard sell to MMO players I think.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    so split up the whole community like crazy...
    i love all these people like "its about the community" but then want to do everything they can to split that community.
    Wiping progress people work for for months would thin out the community much more then offering choice. Many people simply won't even bother starting at all.

In fact it's an argument I see all the time when private servers are the subject that they aren't reliable on when their characters might be gone.

Not 100% of people want to start on fresh servers a second time, so offer choice for both kinds of people. Let them reroll on a NEW realm.

If population on established servers is a problem, merge realms or offer transfers to 1 target realm like I said.

Not 100% of people want vanilla to be forced into TBC, offer choice as well. This is a side project so they can, unlike retail which evolved over time.

Wiping has no benefits over new realms, only to piss off a lot of people, then they succeed.

What if someone spent 6 months on a character, leaves, stops following the game, comes back and sees an empty account? Fun??

Also, we need multiple realms anyway, cause I hope CRZ and stuff isn't implemented....

Adding this : Wiping some Grand Marshal/High Warlord or someone with rare mounts like Zulian Tiger/Black Scarab would be a mega insult to the playerbase, things weren't account wide in vanilla, achievements weren't in.
    Last edited by Teri; 2018-03-03 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    i find it funny i made this thread to prove you wrong and its working, and you even link posts that people in them are doing nothing but complain about what you say will be perfect
    Those people are not really complaining per se, they have a love hate relationship with fresh servers. They want stability but they also want fresh. It's very complicated human psychology.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Those people are not really complaining per se, they have a love hate relationship with fresh servers. They want stability but they also want fresh. It's very complicated human psychology.
    You can't have both Fresh/Stability by just deleting the characters, it's one or the other. New servers periodically is a simple solution instead.

Not very complicated.
    Last edited by Teri; 2018-03-03 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    You can't have both Fresh/Stability by just deleting the characters, it's one or the other. New servers periodically is a simple solution instead.

Not very complicated.
    Why do we need new servers for that? Just roll a new toon on a different realm, that's how it worked in vanilla and how it should work in Classic.

Implementing things that weren't in vanilla to begin with is a bad idea. And yes this includes bullshit like dynamic respawns, increased realm pops or the removal of things like xr bgs or DHKs.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Why do we need new servers for that? Just roll a new toon on a different realm, that's how it worked in vanilla and how it should work in Classic.

Implementing things that weren't in vanilla to begin with is a bad idea. And yes this includes bullshit like dynamic respawns, increased realm pops or the removal of things like xr bgs or DHKs.
    I agree, and I only mention new servers for "fresh" starts as in , progression/economy from level 1 scratch.

I personally don't even need/want that.

But the OP instead suggested wiping the entire server instead after like X amount of time. Bad idea.

And people might say "but but if they wipe your mounts/titles your alts have it", not in vanilla, mounts sit in your bag, and titles were character specific.
    Last edited by Teri; 2018-03-03 at 05:42 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    no, they are complaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Or we could not make any god damn changes to vanilla. If you want seasons go play Diablo or something.
    Did you play Vanilla lol? They had new servers like every other week.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, one of the stupidest ideas ever imo. Why would I work so hard to upgrade all my characters and level all the professions and such just to have them wiped? That's one thing I always thought was the best parts of WoW, you could build your account to be badass with high level characters, gear, achievements, rep, etc etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Wiping progress people work for for months would thin out the community much more then offering choice. Many people simply won't even bother starting at all.

In fact it's an argument I see all the time when private servers are the subject that they aren't reliable on when their characters might be gone.

Not 100% of people want to start on fresh servers a second time, so offer choice for both kinds of people. Let them reroll on a NEW realm.

If population on established servers is a problem, merge realms or offer transfers to 1 target realm like I said.

Not 100% of people want vanilla to be forced into TBC, offer choice as well. This is a side project so they can, unlike retail which evolved over time.

Wiping has no benefits over new realms, only to piss off a lot of people, then they succeed.

What if someone spent 6 months on a character, leaves, stops following the game, comes back and sees an empty account? Fun??

Also, we need multiple realms anyway, cause I hope CRZ and stuff isn't implemented....

Adding this : Wiping some Grand Marshal/High Warlord or someone with rare mounts like Zulian Tiger/Black Scarab would be a mega insult to the playerbase, things weren't account wide in vanilla, achievements weren't in.
    I agree, I definitely wouldn't play again and would be hesitant to put much effort into playing in the first place, apart from to play for a bit and get some nostalgia.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barrsftw View Post
    Yes, we had new servers periodically, but they never deleted characters for it.

I made new characters when they launched RP-PVP realms and played there until about 40, then decided that STV ganking was stupid.

(I didn't race to 60 as I still had a main raiding realm)

Thankfully I had my main realm to fall back to.
    Last edited by Teri; 2018-03-04 at 03:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The reason people like fresh starts for everyone is competition. They want to be server first "XYZ".. so simply deleting your character and re-rolling doesn't do this, as the server is already progressed.
    to be fair, the OP doesnt really get to this point. could have cut out 90% of his babble and just said would you like the server first feels over and over again.. yes or no?

while the OP does mention something about D3 seasons, which i think D3 has already infested the game far too much, he went on to use other reasons that were best suited for individual players to decide if they want to redo that, not forcing everyone who tries out the server to be screwed if they didnt start on day 1 or even care about races for that matter.

i suppose there could be some sort of special sever created just for this type of gameplay... but lets not put the horse before the cart here. lets allow this vanilla/classic stuff to be released first, then we can debate or lobby for alternatives.
    Last edited by Sinndra; 2018-03-04 at 04:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

New servers isn't the same as fresh server. A new server is just a new server, it runs the same patch as every other server because that's how wow works, you can only have one client version at any given time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    why would you need to do this... re~roll does this already. start a new alt. or just delete your own character and start again. iirc, Vanilla didnt have account bound stuff in the first place.

i know its difficult to be proactive and do these types of actions yourself, many need Big Daddy Blizzard to do it for them as well as force everyone else to do it too, even the ones that dont want it.
    Nah not really. Progressing through all raids is pretty much my only goal in vanilla. If i came in and the expansion was locked at naxx i'd honestly loose about 90% of my interest in it

Yes, we had new servers periodically, but they never deleted characters for it.

I made new characters when they launched RP-PVP realms and played there until about 40, then decided that STV ganking was stupid.

(I didn't race to 60 as I still had a main raiding realm)

Thankfully I had my main realm to fall back to.
    I was confused. I wasn't ever suggesting deleting characters, just that the "new realm" experience was great, and one that many people participated in (as clear evidence showed the queue times on new realms for weeks after they were created.)

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I was confused. I wasn't ever suggesting deleting characters, just that the "new realm" experience was great, and one that many people participated in (as clear evidence showed the queue times on new realms for weeks after they were created.)
    You didn't suggest deleting I know, but the OP did "The concept of a fresh server. Is apparently where 1 year after naxramas has released. The whole server is wiped and everyone is sent back to square one."

I loved the new realm experiences tho, especially the first launch, since I was in a guild set up long before, RP oriented, really grouped together and the nightelf players moved to human land pretty quick (after running through wetlands of course). Game was still new and unknown.

I did play horde in closed beta, but alliance at launch, so it was still super fresh.

And then horde again on a side project RP-PVP realm till about 40, was still fresh, but ganking became stupid once 60s started to kill lowbies on purpose in contested zones.

I still support new Classic realms periodically after launch, but the game will probably be way more of a race to dominate the progress/economy instead of the 2004 experience. Especially after Classic is out for a while and new realms are still coming out.
    Last edited by Teri; 2018-03-04 at 11:06 PM.