10+ Year Old Account

Question Did someone saw the "What the Health" documentary?

Did someone saw the "What the Health" documentary? (http://www.whatthehealthfilm.com/)
    And most important how do you eat after it ?

A friend of mine showed it to me yesterday and I don't know what to think about it.
    Its so hard to see and believe that this is all real but makes totally sense if you look at what people are eating and how much they are eating

Just wanted to know who saw it and how do you think about the whole thing

I believe this post should be somewhere else.
    But to answer it, yes I saw it, and yes I mostly eat plant based natural way. I dont make the natural way, since I eat a lot of stuff that is processed, like mit spinach, some junk food like fries, and i am to lazy to make my own oat milk all the time (very lazy atm, because local store has great oat and almond milk)
    If you have questions, I can give you my point of view to it, but I agree that the documentary is quite "real"and can open some eyes to some points. That said,I agree with the movie, but thats my point of view.
    Last edited by Bas Prime; 2018-03-05 at 12:39 PM.
    Blademasters are as much Warriors as Navy Seals are Soldiers.
    A possible thought of a Blademaster about Warriors
    "They shout, they curse, stabbing wildly; more brawlers than warriors. They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part"
    (300)

All I will say is that often documentary makers while having good intentions will only use info that helps get the point they want to across and sometimes that info isn't as factual as they will claim it is. Much like how industries will fund their own research which is meant to reach a conclusion they want it to. This documentary I believe was trying very hard to get people to question eating meat and not all of the statements it makes may be as true as they are making them out to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas Prime View Post
    I believe this post should be somewhere else.
    But to answer it, yes I saw it, and yes I mostly eat plant based natural way. I dont make the natural way, since I eat a lot of stuff that is processed, like mit spinach, some junk food like fries, and i am to lazy to make my own oat milk all the time (very lazy atm, because local store has great oat and almond milk)
    If you have questions, I can give you my point of view to it, but I agree that the documentary is quite "real"and can open some eyes to some points. That said,I agree with the movie, but thats my point of view.
    Sorry thought i posted it in general Off-Topic can someone move it for me?

Sounds good I really will try to eat more plant based now, will be hard in the beginning but i guess it will work somehow

Vegan propaganda. These Michael Moore style documentaries are the absolute worst way of getting a fair perspective on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaze View Post
    Sorry thought i posted it in general Off-Topic can someone move it for me?

Sounds good I really will try to eat more plant based now, will be hard in the beginning but i guess it will work somehow
    There are many sites on the internet that can provide you with some help at the beginning. Depending on where you live, the options are quite good. I am from Germany and I have a lot of variety in the shops where I can buy the stuff. Of course, Vegetables, at least the common ones, are pretty easy to get (again, depending where you come from, but you have internet, so I assume you can get veggis in the shop around the corner). But dont make the mistake and eat only carb free veggies. This is a mistake I hear a lot. You need carbs (this is my opinion) because its the energy source for your body. So mix in potatoes, noodles and rice. At the beginning this is really easily done. After some time, you know where to buy your stuff and I becomes a routine, just like before.
    If you want to go full plant based without dairy and meat (I honestly hope so for you):
    Be prepared for some comments from people around you. Dont get angry, dont be offended. Stay calm and suggest to watch the movie together, if you want them to understand or they want to understand.
    Talking about movies: Cowspiracy (from the same guy who made What the Health) also on Netflix, Forks over Knives also a great movie, Earthlings (this is very very graphic at times, I saw people cry, its really hard to stomach). Also youtube is a great source.
    I personally can say I have never cooked nor eaten such a big variety since I went vegan.
    A note on tofu. this stuff can really suck, if it is not prepared in the right way. do not get disencouraged when It tastes like nothing. Generally have a lot of spices and seasoning for your meals at home. The fake meat and fake cheese are getting better, but as stated in the movie, plant based, whole foods and not processed foods are the best way to go. That said, it is not a religion. You totally can eat a veggi burger, or hot dog, from time to times. I also advise regular exercise (3 times a week, at least half an hour, not just cardio, do some muscle training, works great).
    I hope I dont overwhelm you with all this stuff, and again, I you have questions, pm me, I really like to help, if I can.
    Blademasters are as much Warriors as Navy Seals are Soldiers.
    A possible thought of a Blademaster about Warriors
    "They shout, they curse, stabbing wildly; more brawlers than warriors. They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part"
    (300)

Here's the thing with "What the Health"...

It's a documentary made by biased documentary makers, NOT NUTRITIONISTS, using frequent confirmation bias, cherry-picking of selected data and misinformation to peddle a specific agenda.

Most of what it says has been debunked by many actual nutritionists.

Though there have undoubtedly been some benefits observed to a Vegan lifestyle, "documentaries" like this and Cowspiracy are purely vegan propaganda. There's nothing scientific to their methodologies and they shouldn't be taken seriously.
    Last edited by rogueMatthias; 2018-03-06 at 12:36 PM.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Deleted
    Never heard of it, but based on the reactions so far I do not fall in the focus target segment.

I'm generally skeptical of almost all nutrition advice aside from the most blindingly obvious (e.g. Doritos aren't very good for you, lots of sugar is probably bad for you). The vast majority of empirical work that's been done is correlative and lacks controls and blinds (for obvious reasons); as a result, it's swamped by confounders and hard to draw meaningfully conclusions, which is why we get the goofy news stories that try to dumb things down to "eggs good, oh, nevermind, eggs bad!".

While I'm sure there are advantages to various nutritional strategies, I doubt there's substantial health risk to any particular normal diet for people that are otherwise fit and healthy. I can't imagine a "documentary" that would change my mind about the science on the matter, although more mechanistic data could persuade me that effects are larger than what I presently think they are.

As to my own diet, I enjoy meats and starches more than is probably ideal, but still eat a decent amount of vegetables. I have no intention of shifting my diet away from eating animals and animal products - it would materially impact my happiness for questionable health improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Here's the thing with "What the Health"...

It's a documentary made by biased documentary makers, NOT NUTRITIONISTS, using frequent confirmation bias, cherry-picking of selected data and misinformation to peddle a specific agenda.

Though there have undoubtedly been some benefits observed to a Vegan lifestyle, "documentaries" like this and Cowspiracy are purely vegan propaganda. There's nothing scientific to their methodologies and they shouldn't be taken seriously.
    Nutritionists are useless since its not a legally protected term. Any idiot can call himself a nutritionist.

Dietitian is the legally protected term.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

We know that plants feel. We know they react. They are living like anything else. Why is killing them okay? I’ve watched countless documentaries about this stuff, about how bad food the disagree with is. A similar one could be made about how bad certain vegtables are. Why doesn’t anyone? Because no one cares. Only vegetarians and vegans care. They need the attention to tell us why they are right, and we are wrong. I don’t think anyone is wrong. Don’t like meat? No problem. Love meat? No problem.

Why are we attacking people for eating? There are those who don’t even have food, and we are spending time and energy attacking people over what they eat? Come on! Get real!

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    In as far as it warns about the health dangers of a diet high in processed foods and sugar, the film gives some good advice.

Aside from those obvious tidbits, it's a misleading propaganda film featuring fallacious reasoning and appearances by known quacks.

Eat less sugar, don't consume Cheetos 32 portions at a time, eat more vegetables, don't devour your entire body weight in bacon in one sitting, and don't assume that every health documentary on Netflix is unbiased or even, for that matter, entirely factual.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    In as far as it warns about the health dangers of a diet high in processed foods and sugar, the film gives some good advice.

Aside from those obvious tidbits, it's a misleading propaganda film featuring fallacious reasoning and appearances by known quacks.

Eat less sugar, don't consume Cheetos 32 portions at a time, eat more vegetables, don't devour your entire body weight in bacon in one sitting, and don't assume that every health documentary on Netflix is unbiased or even, for that matter, entirely factual.
    So in other words, just common sense moderation in all things.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    http://time.com/4897133/vegan-netflix-what-the-health/

No, eggs are not as bad for you as smoking. In fact, based on current research (as opposed to the outdated research the film used), there are no concerns with eggs and cholesterol consumption in general anymore (basically, the notion that eating cholesterol raises your cholesterol has been debunked).

The link between meats and cancer is full of caveats. Processed meats doesn't represent the same level of danger as other items in that category. Overall, processed meats are just as bad for you as any other processed food (see the next paragraph).

Sugar is, in fact, linked to poor health (see https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ig-john-yudkin).

Milk's link to cancer is weak. In fact, as more studies are completed on that subject, it appears that there may be no link at all.

I've been plant-based for 3 years, so by the time WTH came out I wasn't learning anything I didn't already know. I lost 70 pounds and no longer have the health issues I suffered from previously. It's awesome you're willing to give it a try. When I changed my diet I went into it with a lot of negativity because I didn't believe it would work. Needless to say, it did and well enough that I've stuck with it ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post

I don't recall many (if any) nutritionists being interviewed. It was largely doctors and researchers with decades of experience using plant-based diets to treat patients. Conversely, most of the debunkers I've seen have little to no credentials and, of those who do, have never worked with prevention/reversal of chronic diseases through diet. One of the more popular ones that was going around, because it was by "a real doctor", was someone whose medical experience was limited to working in the ER.

As for "cherry-picking", the studies they used were ones not funded by animal agriculture. People don't seem to realize that the vast majority of studies are paid for by industry and they don't publish the ones that aren't favorable. They frequently pay off researchers to come to desirable conclusions and it's not uncommon for the studies to have been manipulated to produce those results. It's rare that the studies are the "gold standard" double-blind, randomized, placebo controlled trials.

The filmmakers are vegan though so, yes, they had an agenda. The documentary was also designed to be contentious, which proved to be a successful approach for many. Those who didn't care for it can refer to other plant-based documentaries such as "Forks Over Knives" or "Eating You Alive". I haven't seen "The Game Changers" yet, but I hear it's also excellent.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Like him or not (I personally do, and find many of his points incredibly valid and applicable to society and as criticisms to the video)

http://zdoggmd.com/what-the-health/

Deleted
    Sounds like a sensational documentary so i'll ignore it ta