Poll: Which is better?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Which movie franchise is better? LOTR or Classic Star Wars

Which movie franchise do you think is better? LOTR [Fellowship-Return of the King] or Classic Star Wars? [4-6]

I watched Star Wars first much much younger and enjoyed it a lot and literally watched LOTR a month ago and thought, WOW this may be better than Star Wars' franchse!
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

I don't see any lightsabers in LOTR.

Checkmate.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    This is SO effing subjective, it's silly.

Different genres, different effect engines, different time periods. You cannot compare one to the other.

10+ Year Old Account
    Consider that LotR had a large, established literary source to pull from.

Other than a few vaguely appropriated names and ideas from mythology, George Lucas basically made all of Star Wars up.

I'll also contend that the original lord of the rings trilogy gets... stuffy... at times, and can occasionally lean on the books explaining stuff for them. Star Wars keeps it pretty light and fun all the way through and doesn't rely on you knowing all this tertiary stuff to get through.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

While I love LOTR for laying the foundation to fantasy as we know it, by todays standard they're mindnumbingly boring, so much that even the old Star Wars are better. I'd hate to have to watch either series again though.

lotr on all fronts.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Other than a few vaguely appropriated names and ideas from mythology, George Lucas basically made all of Star Wars up.
    Some say that George Lucas was also inspired by Pierre Christin's comics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Val%C3..._and_Laureline

I don't see how it can even be a question. LotRO dominates SW so much it's not even funny.

Deleted
    Well to me Hobbit is by far better trilogy than LOTR, simply because LOTR is way too butchered.

As for Star Wars I find the The Old Republic era way way way better than any of the films, it's not even close.

But if you want only those 2 trilogies than LOTR for me.

If we're talking strictly the trilogy, I'd say LOTR is better.

If we're talking all content (including gaming), Star Wars is much stronger imo. But I'd say both universes are quite important from a fantasy/fiction perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    George Lucas basically made all of Star Wars up.
    If by "made up" you mean "took a bunch of shit from Valerian", then yes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    Well to me Hobbit is by far better trilogy than LOTR, simply because LOTR is way too butchered.
    And Hobbit is way too stretched to sell 3 movies. Could've been one really great movie, or maybe two at most, 3 was too much.
    Fans actually have taken up that task and cut it down to size, which makes the movie just so much better. But alas due to copyright reasons, you likely won't see that being distributed properly anywhere.
    Last edited by Nevcairiel; 2018-03-06 at 08:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archon14 View Post

If by "made up" you mean "took a bunch of shit from Valerian", then yes.
    Other than a few aesthetic choices which themselves could be traced back to earlier space opera pulps and the like (which were influences of both of those series) I'd say the major plot points of Star Wars are still the majority of Lucas' creation.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I grew up with LOTR, and they are my favorite movies. I respect Star Wars had a larger impact, but they were before my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    While I love LOTR for laying the foundation to fantasy as we know it, by todays standard they're mindnumbingly boring.
    So much this! I always shirk away from conversations about the trilogy because people fawn over the books like they are masterpieces. I feel like they forgot parts like when Tolkien just writes about trees for an absurd chunk of Two Towers.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

I would preach you to watch the LOTR Appendices before you speak Ill on this masterpiece, Its hardly just a trilogy, and If so, It truely Is the greatest film ever produced, You must appreciate every fabric and every note In the making of this PERFECTION.
    I have watched It countless times, and would continue to do so again, because It Is a very touching story with some of my favorite quotes out there.

I have yet to see a movie like LOTR which contains such passion for every detail.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say that considering how different the two are, both in terms of the content of the films as well as everything involving the genesis and production of the two trilogies, they are pretty much impossible to compare. It really just comes down to a matter of opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    I very much prefer trimmed down to work better as movies vs. insanely bloated of overstuffed to turn a simple ~300 page novel into three, two and a half plus hour movies.

15+ Year Old Account
    Jurassic Park trilogy.

All the Jaws movies!
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Deleted
    I feel like LOTR is a fine fantasy series. and yes it was one of the first major "fantasy" worlds. but that also makes it very generic and "bland"
    and that reflects in the movies.i Feel starwars present mores, and just have more "universe" building Not just 30 min look at pretty scenes then 40 min hard core battle then a bit of dialog and rinse and repeat.

Deleted
    I'm more invested in the SW universe (films and TV series).

LotR were the better movies.