Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Will we ever be on a journey to discover, not to extinguish threat?

I wonder if it's ever going to be possible for Warcraft to introduce stories of Azerothians visiting other lands just for the sake of new discovery,

AND have necessary competition, factional tensions and whatnot, WITHOUT any threat against the world.

I thought MoP and BfA would be the closest thing but MoP ended with a dooming threat + Old God, and BfA seems like it's going to be the same deal.

What do you think?

EDIT:
    What I intended was NOT about "no endgame boss to raid" but instead, have a big bad boss, but stop selling this "our planet is in danger" gimmick is what I want to say. We can always have a big, bad and powerful villain that's a threat to our adventures and not interested in ruling the world.
    Last edited by MatthiasLehner; 2018-03-07 at 05:25 PM.

It's a great idea. I want that too, but the WoW audience seems to lose their shit at the mere thought of an expansion without a big bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    It's a great idea. I want that too, but the WoW audience seems to lose their shit at the mere thought of an expansion without a big bad.
    The last 3 expansions didn't have a big bad until later on. End boss I mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthiasLehner View Post
    I wonder if it's ever going to be possible for Warcraft to introduce stories of Azerothians visiting other lands just for the sake of new discovery,

AND have necessary competition, factional tensions and whatnot, WITHOUT any threat against the world.

I thought MoP and BfA would be the closest thing but MoP ended with a dooming threat + Old God, and BfA seems like it's going to be the same deal.

What do you think?
    I think vanilla was more this then any other. We HAD raid bosses buut more things that popped up then big bads

Not as long as Blizzard keep pushing their spectacle creep.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthiasLehner View Post

What do you think?
    And where's fun in that? We already have people going nuts over "OMGZ a filler expansion WTF!". People do need ultimately a big bad to relate and IMO, that is absolutely fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Not as long as Blizzard keep pushing their spectacle creep.
    The problem is again that if they don't do this, then you will have this whole filler expansion crap going on and this will hurt them a lot. They just can't afford such expansion and BfA is as close as it gets to stretching it.

Considering the fact that we're straight-up running out of places to explore that aren't immediately tied to potential threats, it's safe to say that BfA is the closest thing we'll get to something like this.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    I think vanilla was more this then any other. We HAD raid bosses buut more things that popped up then big bads
    What? Vanilla had old gods, scourge AND the legion ergo every threat there is!

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Sounds like you want the game to be more "sandboxy", which I'm not entirely against but will be a huge change to the core game IMO. WoW is stuck on prioritizing raids, can't have a raid without some bad guy that both factions find a threat.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Idea:Re-use the Ner'zhul plan of opening more portals to different worlds(Make someone of the Horde or another big bad do this) but instead of shattering Azeroth, other Worlds are teleported near to Azeroth's Planetary System or have a portal that connects them.

Boom, endless exploration and possibilities.
    Mage Tower Final Result:
    Dk:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:1/3 Dh:2/2 Warlock:3/3 Hunter: 3/3 Priest:3/3 Paladin:3/3 Warrior: 3/3 Rogue:3/3 Shaman:3/3 Monk:3/3 Druid: 4/4

Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    Considering the fact that we're straight-up running out of places to explore that aren't immediately tied to potential threats, it's safe to say that BfA is the closest thing we'll get to something like this.
    How can you run out of places to explore when you can literally make a new place up to explore in your head and program it into existence at any moment at your liesure? read: dev team.
    If we could all sit and talk without demonizing one another and attempt to understand the opposite point of view, the collective world would be a better place. Mental bigotry is the worst of all.

Aren't we gonna discover Jaina or Khadgars intent to take over?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    The last 3 expansions didn't have a big bad until later on. End boss I mean.
    End boss isn't the point, it's that every expansion is "OH MY GOD THE WORLD IS ENDING QUICK KILL ALL THE THINGS".
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Deleted
    It would be nice. World-ending threats stopped being interesting a long time ago since they will never have any chance of succeeding anyway. Smaller local conflicts are much more interesting as they are far more relatable, and we can even lose a certain battle without it being a huge deal, which also makes the stories far less predictable.

I really wish someone would make a comic of two patrons sitting at a local inn somewhere just talking about the madness that is Warcraft's "history" over the past ten years, with new world-ending threats every two years. What do the local folk at Stormwind say when their sons, husbands and fathers all go off to war never to return, only for it to happen again two years later, and then again, and again. Exploring how all these conflicts have truly affected the people of Azeroth would also be really interesting. Or maybe that's just me. *shrugs*

People HATED Mists. It's not happening, ever again.

We had that during MoP, and it was the most polarizing expansion to date. It offered new lore and US becoming the catalyst for threats, rather than us venturing into Pandaria to battle something threatening the entire world.

World of Warcraft though, not World of Explorationcraft. The exploration happens at a gameplay level, so explore away when new areas come out.

We already have enough plebs branding expansions "filler" as soon as they don't like the story on a personal level. Imagine what it'd be like if we had expansions where nothing mattered and we were just running around sightseeing with our dick in hand.

7+ Year Old Account
    There's the mysterious other side of Azeroth continent that has never been seen by anyone. So who knows what could happen?
    High Elves and Wildhammer Dwarves are finally playable in the Alliance. XD

15+ Year Old Account
    Would like that aswell, just adventure in the wild discover quests and small stories, no main threat end of the world.

Maybe a stargate-like system could be implemented, players traveling from world to world. Helping new races and also finding new enemies.
    Could go a lot of ways with this, find a full jungle world, help locals defeat Burning Legion remains find or worlds touched by the Voidlords and drive them back, etc etc..

Deleted
    It's called warcraft want to explore? Go play minecraft.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by EbaumsTipster View Post
    People HATED Mists. It's not happening, ever again.
    With people do you mean " Me and some others i know that think the same "?