Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    A bit of that went a little bit over my head but I get it and I agree that is very interesting. I hope we get more info on it but if we do I don't see it happening anytime soon.
    Basically the patent is for testing how much they need to nerf certain aspects of new hardware and software to run old software without the need of emulation, translation layer (though this is more for across different instruction sets) or recompiling the game when running in backwards compatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Basically the patent is for testing how much they need to nerf certain aspects of new hardware and software to run old software without the need of emulation, translation layer (though this is more for across different instruction sets) or recompiling the game when running in backwards compatibility.
    Cool.

So as stupid as this may sound its safe to say they are likely working on something BC related and this makes it sound like its at a hardware+software level and not just emulation software correct?
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool.

So as stupid as this may sound its safe to say they are likely working on something BC related and this makes it sound like its at a hardware+software level and not just emulation software correct?
    Correct. Otherwise there's no point in this patent. If you read it everything points towards a hardware / software adjustments to run the game natively in backwards compatibility mode. This patent is just finding the nitty gritty details needed cause they already know what breaks games when running in more powerful hardware. They just need the precise details to avoid that.
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/9892024.html
    Last edited by Remilia; 2018-03-07 at 07:04 AM.

Correct. Otherwise there's no point in this patent. If you read it everything points towards a hardware / software adjustments to run the game natively in backwards compatibility mode. This patent is just finding the nitty gritty details needed cause they already know what breaks games when running in more powerful hardware. They just need the precise details to mitigate that.
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/9892024.html
    Cool hopefully this is something that comes to PS4 (or Pro since it does have a CPU boost).

This is all neat tho and like I say ya learn something new every day. It could be part of there big 5.50 update I could see that if its coming sometime soon since that update also adds SS to PS4 Pro's.

Doubt if it comes that soon tho if at all.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool hopefully this is something that comes to PS4 (or Pro since it does have a CPU boost).

This is all neat tho and like I say ya learn something new every day. It could be part of there big 5.50 update I could see that if its coming sometime soon since that update also adds SS to PS4 Pro's.

Doubt if it comes that soon tho if at all.
    It has nothing to do with PS4 to PS3 (or PS2/PS1) backwards compatibility. This specific patent and implementation mentions and requires binary compatibility, aka it must be x86. PS3 is PowerPC and thus invalidates this. This particular patent is for creating a specialized device (basically a PS4 with lots of knobs to change things) to find timings for software that causes them to error out.

It has nothing to do with PS4 to PS3 (or PS2/PS1) backwards compatibility. This specific patent and implementation mentions and requires binary compatibility, aka it must be x86. PS3 is PowerPC and thus invalidates this. This particular patent is for creating a specialized device (basically a PS4 with lots of knobs to change things) to find timings for software that causes them to error out.
    Why u gotta kill my hopes and dreams

Question: Couldn't it have something to do with PS3 if they was going to go the route MS went with BC and repackage the games to download? Just wondering.
    Or how the current emulation works with PS3 on PC?

Just thought I would ask since this goes a bit over my head.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why u gotta kill my hopes and dreams

Question: Couldn't it have something to do with PS3 if they was going to go the route MS went with BC and repackage the games to download? Just wondering.
    Theoretically they could do it, it's just way more unstable and more manpower required. It's imo not worth it at this point in the generation, especially with this patent signalling a new machine in maybe 2 years (obviously a guess number).

Theoretically they could do it, it's just way more unstable and more manpower required. It's imo not worth it at this point in the generation, especially with this patent signalling a new machine in maybe 2 years (obviously a guess number).
    Ya im likely just getting my hopes up a little on PS3 BC lol. But its safe to say PS5 will be fully BC with PS4 and this likely confirms it don't you agree?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya im likely just getting my hopes up a little on PS3 BC lol. But its safe to say PS5 will be fully BC with PS4 and this likely confirms it don't you agree?
    More likely than not. It's not something so easy so wait until the new device comes to fruition.

As for your edits, there are multiple methods of emulation. Don't know how it is on the PC for PS3 but more likely it's high level emulation. High level emulation has a lot of overhead and attempts to emulate what the system is supposed to do, essentially brute forcing it. Low level emulation runs the code through a translation layer and simulate the run time environment of the native machine. Low level requires stuff like BIOS software so it's not something you easily get your hands on.

More likely than not. It's not something so easy so wait until the new device comes to fruition.

As for your edits, there are multiple methods of emulation. Don't know how it is on the PC for PS3 but more likely it's high level emulation. High level emulation has a lot of overhead and attempts to emulate what the system is supposed to do, essentially brute forcing it. Low level emulation runs the code through a translation layer and simulate the run time environment of the native machine. Low level requires stuff like BIOS software so it's not something you easily get your hands on.
    Cool beans so really all we can do is wait and see but this is likely a PS5 thing. Thanks for the back and forth its kinda brain candy for me learning about all this stuff lol.

If Sony wanted PS3 emulation on PS4 it can be done and its already being done on PC's.

They could just copy how Xbox does it if they really wanted to, But who knows what they want to do.

Fun Fact: All ps3 models can play ps1 games. Just fyi I didn't know until here recent lol.
    Correct. But some disc games have issues.

One I know of is FF8 where past the start up screen Disc 4 will not work after loading a save or switching from Disc 3.

Allow me to play my ps2 games again without digging out the slow ps2? Yes, please!

10+ Year Old Account
    Backwards compatibility is fine, but I don't want any resources poured in to it like the Xbox and I don't want the price of my console affected like the PS3.

I'm in a weird place with BC, its a total nothingburger post launch for me however if the PS5 can natively play PS4 games then I'll probably be happier to invest in a PS5 day one for sure. If PS3 BC came in now I wouldn't touch it.

If Sony wanted PS3 emulation on PS4 it can be done and its already being done on PC's.

They could just copy how Xbox does it if they really wanted to, But who knows what they want to do.

Fun Fact: All ps3 models can play ps1 games. Just fyi I didn't know until here recent lol.
    Sort of. The ps3 emulates ps1 and its very mixed. For example some things like the PAL -and if memory serves only PAL- version of Final Fantasy 8 does not play. It laods the PS1 icon and noise then its a black screen. Like the xbox 360 with og xox games its a case of 'throw it in and hope it plays, but if its not first party dont hold your breath 100% of the time"

10+ Year Old Account
    https://gametransfers.com/sony-regis...compatibility/

Really hope this turns into a thing and if so....ABOUT FUCKEN TIME. I would settle for PS2/PS1 BC but PS3 BC would be great.

This as on Kinda Funny Games Daily podcast today and it seems it was looked at at the end of last month.

2min mark
    If it's PS3 BC i'd be ecstatic.
    Last edited by Blade Wolf; 2018-03-07 at 04:35 PM.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Correct. But some disc games have issues.

One I know of is FF8 where past the start up screen Disc 4 will not work after loading a save or switching from Disc 3.
    Very true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Took them long enough. Been loving the xbox BC since you can get the discs cheap or do what I did and replay the good fallouts and Oblivion

Perks of being a collector. I kept all my old systems/games.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Perks of being a collector. I kept all my old systems/games.
    Same but the less shit I have hooked to my tv the better.

Same but the less shit I have hooked to my tv the better.
    Oh I'm safe. The tv has switchers/breakers/surge protectors the works.

If I'm using 1 console then any other's on different stuff is turned off.