10+ Year Old Account

1080 TI with intention to water cool.

So, with pricing being what they are and understanding a bit more about gfx cards in general I have run into a question I don't know enough to answer. As the title states, I am wanting to purchase a 1080 TI with the intention of immediately water cooling it. Custom loop. Looking at the different cards. I noticed the higher clock cards also tend to come with better heat sinks and fans, which of course will be useless to me. I don't want to pay a bunch extra for these additional parts if it's not necessary.

Now I don't know how to tell what cards will be able to be overclocked to match the higher rates that the better cooled cards come with stock. That's the part I need help with, or some more information that tells me why my logic is flawed.

I do really enjoy learning about this so if you want to point me to a guide/article instead of answering a question directly I would actually prefer that.

If you need more clarification, feel free to ask.

Thanks!
    Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz | MSI - Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | Corsair - Vengeance LED 32GB DDR4-3400 Memory | Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | Samsung - 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card | Corsair - 850W ATX Power Supply | 2 x HP - Omen 27 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor | Microsoft - Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Deleted
    Have a look at the Gamers Nexus youtube channel, they have done teardowns and VRM analysis on quite a few cards. You are looking for a card which has a block available, a reasonable VRM/design and as cheap as possible. 1080ti silicon is pretty consistent in performance it will achieve given an adequate VRM and cooling.
    Last edited by mmoce90cf0ffae; 2018-03-05 at 04:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DonGenaro View Post
    Have a look at the Gamers Nexus youtube channel, they have done teardowns and VRM analysis on quite a few cards. You are looking for a card which has a block available, a reasonable VRM/design and as cheap as possible. 1080ti silicon is pretty consistent in performance it will achieve given an adequate VRM and cooling.
    Excellent, thanks. I actually started watching this channel this morning at work. It's been my background noise all d

These cards are crazy expensive..... I hear the prices when some of these videos were made and the price is up $400!!! Crypto currency needs to go away. I don't even understand why people are going after this mess, or why it even has value.
    Last edited by SolSphere; 2018-03-05 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Added info
    Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz | MSI - Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | Corsair - Vengeance LED 32GB DDR4-3400 Memory | Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | Samsung - 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card | Corsair - 850W ATX Power Supply | 2 x HP - Omen 27 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor | Microsoft - Windows 10 Home 64-bit

the one that seems to be the "best" for liquid cooling was the MSI GTX 1080Ti ARMOR.

The ARMOR cooler apparently sucks (worse than a blower), but the board uses better VRMs and better power delivery than the Founders, but is only like 20$ more at MSRP, and has a layout that the water blocks all fit easily.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceshuttle View Post
    Crypto currency needs to go away.
    That ship has sailed.

I don't even understand why people are going after this mess, or why it even has value.
    Because a lot of people see value in a currency that isnt controlled by a government or organization that cant be tracked by said governments and organizations.

A LOT of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Because a lot of people see value in a currency that isnt controlled by a government or organization that cant be tracked by said governments and organizations.

A LOT of people.
    Until someone steals it from them or the currency looses all it's value and they loose all their money, then they turn to the authorities to try and get it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Until someone steals it from them or the currency looses all it's value and they loose all their money, then they turn to the authorities to try and get it back.
    the word is "lose", not "loose", as an FYI.

Getting it stolen or the currency losing all of its value is no different than any "real" currency - which are all fiat currencies now anyway. It's quite a bit harder to steal than "real" money, actually, as long as you take the proper precautions.

And the people who have tried to turn to "the authorities" to get their money back so far have been told to whistle for it. Pretty much just like when real money gets stolen. You dont get it replaced magically, except for a VERY small amount that is federally insured, IF you had it in an FDIC-backed facility.

It's not really any different than any other currency. Except governments cant control it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    the one that seems to be the "best" for liquid cooling was the MSI GTX 1080Ti ARMOR.

The ARMOR cooler apparently sucks (worse than a blower), but the board uses better VRMs and better power delivery than the Founders, but is only like 20$ more at MSRP, and has a layout that the water blocks all fit easily.
    I think that is the one mentioned in one of the videos I was watching. But then I saw one from Jayztwocents The ASUS one. It allows for water cooling AND fan cooling. The Poseidon I believe. That tickled my fancy, but I think the price tag gouged my wallet. Might have to save a bit before I finish up my build.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceshuttle View Post
    Excellent, thanks. I actually started watching this channel this morning at work. It's been my background noise all d

These cards are crazy expensive..... I hear the prices when some of these videos were made and the price is up $400!!! Crypto currency needs to go away. I don't even understand why people are going after this mess, or why it even has value.
    https://blockchainrigs.io/Tracker

Use their tools against them.

Yep they give a good breakdown that is fairly easy to follow. Or wait a few months for Nvidia's new vid card lineup.