Page 24 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    again, do you have any proof of this statement? You state it like a fact yet again, so where's the proof?
    Again you know perfectly well this is an opinion dude. As does anyone with an ounce of common sense reading it. Enough now please.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Rift probably is still profitable because it has lootboxes and well we all know how people leap at those in any game.
    Now you are contradicting yourself?

Which one is it? Is Trove keeping Rift afloat and Rift would not exist without it as you so often imply, or is Rift profitable on it's own?

Quote Originally Posted by Arbs View Post
    They should of stuck with just Rift, They were strong with just 1 game. but decided to waste money on other projects which bombed hard.

End of Nations being a big one.
    I never really did much research into End of Nations. From what I can gather was supposed to be an RTS game no.

But I'd say their big 3 games at the moment would be Rift, Trove and Arcehage (publisher).

Defiance is being relaunched so I imagine the focus there is on 2050, Devilian has shut down now and as for Atlas Reactor I can't say I've heard anything big lined up for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Now you are contradicting yourself?

Which one is it? Is Trove keeping Rift afloat and Rift would not exist without it as you so often imply, or is Rift profitable on it's own?
    Where am I?

I said Rift is more than likely still profitable. But that one game is probably more based on speculation. I imagine Rift's initial success is what funded Trove. And I imagine Troves success in return is helping fund Trion for the most part.

They should of stuck with just Rift, They were strong with just 1 game. but decided to waste money on other projects which bombed hard.

End of Nations being a big one.
    Yeah, this is more like the truth. Rift was fine, until they started doing other games, then Rift went F2P, because F2P makes more money then P2P(this is fact in the industry these days, yes, WoW and FFXIV have become the outliers) and they needed to make some money to support those other products, so Rift suffered, and suffered and suffered.

Yeah, this is more like the truth. Rift was fine, until they started doing other games, then Rift went F2P, because F2P makes more money then P2P(this is fact in the industry these days, yes, WoW and FFXIV have become the outliers) and they needed to make some money to support those other products, so Rift suffered, and suffered and suffered.
    The outliers are because of brand popularity to be fair.

To be honest if they had kept at Defiance it would have been good. But after the TV series ended they kinda stopped caring.

Atlas Reactor I haven't heard a peep out of.

Where am I?

I said Rift is more than likely still profitable. But that one game is probably more based on speculation. I imagine Rift's initial success is what funded Trove. And I imagine Troves success in return is helping fund Trion for the most part.
    Yes, you say Rift is more than likely profitable, but you also continue to say that Trove is what keeps Trion afloat? Which one is it. The two are pretty mutually exclusive. Either Rift is profitable, meaning it covers all it's own costs and makes them money, or Rift does not make them money and it's Trove's success that is making them money, or both make them money and Trove's success has nothing at all to do with Rift, yet you keep bringing it up.

Which is it?

Yes, you say Rift is more than likely profitable, but you also continue to say that Trove is what keeps Trion afloat? Which one is it. The two are pretty mutually exclusive. Either Rift is profitable, meaning it covers all it's own costs and makes them money, or Rift does not make them money and it's Trove's success that is making them money, or both make them money and Trove's success has nothing at all to do with Rift, yet you keep bringing it up.

Which is it?
    I'd say based on speculation Trove is more profitable to them in general. With Rift being a likely second.

However the amount of content Rift pushes says to me that most of the money until Prime wasn't going there. And again that's speculation which I admit to.

As for other games no idea. I doubt it though with the current state of at least two of them.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-03-07 at 02:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

To be honest if they had kept at Defiance it would have been good. But after the TV series ended they kinda stopped caring.

In my opinion the only good game Trion made after Rift was Trove & they had the CubeWorld hype. Who knows if they were involved in that with the guy disappearing, but that isn't a subject for now.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

In my opinion the only good game Trion made after Rift was Trove & they had the CubeWorld hype. Who knows if they were involved in that with the guy disappearing, but that isn't a subject for now.
    To be fair Defiance could have been good. But as I said after the tv show ended they kind of just stopped giving a damn.

I mean hopefully they learn their lesson with the relaunch but I'm doubtful.

Prime has it's chance to be successful. But if it ends up with a niche audience then they won't do it again. The idea is to garner as much interest as possible.

Which leads me to ask. I haven't seen any hyped up stuff going around in a big manner. Isn't it like a few hours until launch?
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-03-07 at 02:59 PM.

I dunno, I tried Defiance and only kinda liked it. Without the TV show though, which was a flop, it kinda destroyed the whole concept of the game. When I tried it, it felt dead. Much deader than Rift and that was while the TV show was still going.

"To be honest it would have been good." Again, you sound like you are stating a fact when you have no idea. You may have liked it, that does not mean it would have been good. Fact of the matter is, you claim Trove is a success because they brought it to multiple platforms and guess what?

http://www.trionworlds.com/defiance/...2/27/announce/

They are doing the same thing with Defiance, probably because it's making them money. They are redesigning it from the ground up and bringing it to multiple platforms. Doesn't sound like they stopped caring to me. If they are putting that kind of effort in to relaunch, they must care quite a bit.

In addition, they are doing that, while putting a fair amount of effort in to the Rift Prime server AND Trove is still getting it's updates. Sounds like three independently running machines that are all taking care of themselves. You make Trove out to be the only one making them money, yet they are obviously working on the others. If they others were so bad and such failures, why are there people playing them and why are they continuing to update them?

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with Lathias, Defiance was a flop in my opinion.

The saying was the game couldn't survive without the show & when the show was canned the game just wasn't talked about.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2018-03-07 at 03:02 PM.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

-snip-
    And again I'm not. Enough with this whole "you have to state everything clearly as an opinion thing". People have enough common sense to read an opinion as such without them having to be told every single time. Discuss my points rather than my posting habits. Already been through that with one poster here and there's no point in going through it a second time so let's just leave it or we will be going round in circles forever.

I claim Trove is a success because when a game has had 15 million lifetime players (yes not current) that is something any company should be proud of. Just like Square with 10 million FF14 players, or GW2 with 7 million or w/e lifetime players. Especially within 2 and a half years of launching. Good thing about a claim. Is that while I present evidence as to why not once do I make these claims as my own facts.

I said they didn't do much with the current version of Defiance after the series ended. The relaunch is doing plenty with the franchise in general. However the current game didn't see much to it other than from what I remember a bit of story stuff.

I never made Trove out to be the only one at all. I said through speculation it's probably making them the most out of them because it branched out in such a quick period of time since it's launch to gain as much of a userbase as possible. Whereas Rift dwindled a bit around Nightmare Tide and 4.0. I not once stated this as fact.

As for Rift Prime that will naturally through subs and the separate credits thing (still greedy). Live makes it's money most likely through lootboxes since it's a heavily bought item in most games that have them.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-03-07 at 03:25 PM.

I love that I can leave this thread and go to bed and there are still the same people arguing over Rift Prime for 4 more pages.

How about, we all just play it and see how it is going. If you don't want to play, cool

10+ Year Old Account
    To all the Accountants and Investors we have here, let's put your minds to rest, Rift cost $50 million to make, in it's first year it made $100 million, then later on the next year, 2012, they had raised another $85 million in funding.

Bear in mind Trion has some serious investors like Comcast,Time Warner, the Ontario Teacher's Pension Fund,which has $110 billion in assets, now i'm fairly sure none of us here posting on MMO Champion are investors/hold shares in Trion so none of us have any idea if the Company is still profitable, don't forget they tried to launch Rift in China, when it was still pay-to-play, might have been better to wait until the F2P transition but what do i know.

Anyhow, source is here, even though it's from six years ago, a lot of other links just don't exist after this time:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...80I19K20120119

Right, that's the Financial side of things done, back to Prime now..... I was waiting for somebody to state the obvious about "Classic" vs Prime but seeing as no one did, here you go.

Let's assume that Trion did want to start with the classic feel, what would be the point? in four months time or whenever Storm Legion get's released on Prime, all the old soul trees/abilities are gone anyway so what would have been the point of throwing Dev time/resources/money at something that only lasted 3-4 months and had to be changed anyway.

Now if they said we are doing Classic, which they never did, the terms used are Progression and Challenge server(s) then you'd all have a point, Trion would have to just give us Rift up as far as Update 1.10, which was the patch before Update 1.11 started giving us changed soul trees just prior to Storm Legion (1.11 was the last update before Rift 2.0).

It's not anywhere near a Classic server because the whole thing becomes moot once they release Storm Legion, this isn't WoW where Blizzard expressly said it will be WoW classic, up to The Burning Crusade so they can afford to leave most things alone, personally i have my doubts Blizzard will ever get close to Classic, reverting their engine back to 32-bit? clunky polygon counts? etc etc but i digress, Blizzard have the resources and a separate Dev team to throw at Classic, as it will be stuck as WoW 1.0 they can do, Rift will be a progression server, each Expansion released ~ 4 months apart,

Quote Originally Posted by CerealLord View Post
    I love that I can leave this thread and go to bed and there are still the same people arguing over Rift Prime for 4 more pages.

How about, we all just play it and see how it is going. If you don't want to play, cool
    I'd say we were discussing it.

I claim Trove is a success because when a game has had 15 million lifetime players (yes not current) that is something any company should be proud of. Just like Square with 10 million FF14 players, or GW2 with 7 million or w/e lifetime players. Especially within 2 and a half years of launching.
    and how many Lifetime Players has Rift had? Not that it really matters because it's an entirely different genre. But is it enough to be considered a success?

and how many Lifetime Players has Rift had? Not that it really matters because it's an entirely different genre. But is it enough to be considered a success?
    I'd say Rift was a success for them in overall terms. However I don't think Rift has published it's lifetime player numbers has it? So this part is minor speculation.

Now what matters is how successful Prime can be. It really does need to work for this game.

Now back to the topic of Prime. Are any big names actually going to be streaming this tonight?
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-03-07 at 03:32 PM.

http://www.trionworlds.com/defiance/...2/27/announce/

They are doing the same thing with Defiance, probably because it's making them money. They are redesigning it from the ground up and bringing it to multiple platforms. Doesn't sound like they stopped caring to me. If they are putting that kind of effort in to relaunch, they must care quite a bit.
    Sorry but no they are not redesigning it from the ground up.

I watched there stream of it and all it is is a cheap HD "remaster" like capcom puts out and is coming to PS4/XB1. The only difference between the current version and the upcoming one is the shinny new textures. The rest of the game is the same.

Now of course they could be adding new endgame shit at some point but the base game is 100% the same.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2018-03-07 at 03:36 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Heads up, you can now download Rift Prime on Glyph and be ready for launch in ~3hrs 20mins or so, it's over 1.20GB in size so if your connection is a bit slow, start it now.

I'm curious how raiding will be. Is each tier going to be release every month or so? Cause that will not be enough time for everyone to gear up and be ready for the next tier.

Bucknaste Time!