Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

PCgamesn and massivelyop articles:"private servers are expanding despite WoW Classic"

It's not new, but I just read those, and I thought it would be an interesting read for you guys:

<links snipped>

/debate people ;-)

edit: also, please try not to promote the projects mentioned in the articles. I wanted to create this thread because I believe that it illustrates how complicated the situation is right now, with people not knowing what will happen at all with classic wow (when will it come out, how authenthic will it be...), and not necessarily willing to wait 1-2 or even 3 years before Blizzard finally releases these servers.

So yeah, this is an interesting subject, but let's try to keep it classy.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2018-03-08 at 02:16 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Blizz is certainly taking its sweet time to announce anything beyond the fact that "they are committed to making Classic servers", like Mr. Brack said.

Between 3500 and 5500 players for a free game.

I thought these private servers were supposed to be popular. There's probably more people playing tic tac toe on AOL games right now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ydraw View Post

I thought these private servers were supposed to be popular. There's probably more people playing tic tac toe on AOL games right now.

Between 3500 and 5500 concurrent players on a single server for a free game, is a bit more accurate. There are many other servers that are as popular if not more.

Private servers aren't the most accessible thing ever either for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Blizz is certainly taking its sweet time to announce anything beyond the fact that "they are committed to making Classic servers", like Mr. Brack said.
    Because going from announcement of a game to full release is the same as pressing 1 button.

Cyberpunk 2077 was first announced in 2012, and it is still not out(rumors are it will be out late this year or early next year).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ydraw View Post

that's not the total community ON a server, that's the amount of people online at a given time: there are hundreds of thousands of active accounts on the private server scene atm (with the overall amount of fan servers out there (there are tens of them), and you'll understand). Last year, there was an estimate made by IDK what article during the nostalrius relaunch (which was the biggest of the history of unofficial servers), saying that there were around 850 000 people regularly playing on unofficial servers.

Also, light's hope is slowly dying right now, for several reasons, and Kronos III seems to be the next big thing.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Because going from announcement of a game to full release is the same as pressing 1 button.

Cyberpunk 2077 was first announced in 2012, and it is still not out(rumors are it will be out late this year or early next year).
    Strawman at its finest. I never said or implied that the delay is unjustified; but the lack of communication spurs "OMG vanilla hype wtb server nao"-type reactions. And communication is one of Big Blizz's weakest points as of late.

Strawman at its finest. I never said or implied that the delay is unjustified; but the lack of communication spurs "OMG vanilla hype wtb server nao"-type reactions. And communication is one of Big Blizz's weakest points as of late.
    Why do we need communication when the answer will be the same until like a few months off potential release/beta release?

Cyberpunk had this same thing. Here is the official Twitter account for the game; https://twitter.com/cyberpunkgame

Notice how there was 1 tweet this January and the one before that was in... 2013. It's not like progress hasn't been made, developing a game is not that fast or simple. Blizzard's job is no easy task still even though they have all of the game content "ready".

As soon as there is relevant info to be shared, they will share it. I assume the Dev team that develops Classic is quite small compared to BfA and that there is a lot of overlaps between the teams with work(namely the client- and server-side stuff).

Deleted
    And it's only going to get worse the next months. People are literally hungry for classic right now, so yeah, it's no wonder that fan projects are launching new servers left and right (although I do believe that it's mostly about the two mentioned in the articles).

Can't go 5 minutes on these forums without people talking about private servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortextex View Post
    that's not the total community ON a server, that's the amount of people online at a given time: there are hundreds of thousands of active accounts on the private server scene atm (with the overall amount of fan servers out there (there are tens of them), and you'll understand). Last year, there was an estimate made by IDK what article during the nostalrius relaunch (which was the biggest of the history of unofficial servers), saying that there were around 850 000 people regularly playing on unofficial servers.

Also, light's hope is slowly dying right now, for several reasons, and Kronos III seems to be the next big thing.
    Naming private servers is against forum rules.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Can't go 5 minutes on these forums without people talking about private servers.
    They are the closest thing to Vanilla available, what do you expect? Most people dgaf about legal stuff (which is quite a grey area btw) anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Most people only go there because of a lack of alternative. Sure we'll get one in the future so I'm not complaining at all, but since there's been literally 0 feedback so far, the community is starting to get impatient.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMagicMan View Post
    Between 3500 and 5500 concurrent players on a single server for a free game, is a bit more accurate. There are many other servers that are as popular if not more.

Private servers aren't the most accessible thing ever either for that matter.
    They just claim to have 3500-5000 players. Not how many concurrent players. It’s like when FF14 claimed to have over 10 million players when it was registered accounts.

as a PS user..can confirm at least 1/3 of active players are bots and another 1/3 are APAC region XYZ farmers

classic servers could come out before BFA I don't think they would be too worried about it taking away sales.

Cool a fresh new server that won't allow multiboxing

I hope when we are going to get the real thing, the offcial classic servers are not going to restart fresh every 6 months

Not a surprise, seems like a lot of the people who want classic just want to play wow without paying for it.

It's no mystery why this is happening. Blizzard created hype when they announced classic. There are people who are excited, and don't want to wait for a time that hasn't even been announced, so they are playing on private servers to pass the time.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    Not a surprise, seems like a lot of the people who want classic just want to play wow without paying for it.
    And you came to this mind blowing conclusion how, exactly? Is there any paid Classic alternative atm? Ah, that's what I thought