Where are Those HDR Monitors

Anyone else remember those HDR monitors NVIDIA announced in January of last year at CES? One year later and they still are nowhere to be seen. On similar note they announced even more were coming again in Jnauary two months ago and still nothing. Anyone have any idea on what's going on?

As a rule of thumb, expect anything you see on CES to not be seen for a year. If it's display, expect 2 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    UP2718Q. Or call Eizo for a CG3145.

If you're looking for Gsync one then... Nope.

UP2718Q operates like a high end LCD HDR TV with Full Array Local Dimming. It's not a great solution imo but it's currently one of the ways to get a higher contrast range. CG3145 is a reference monitor for production that doesn't rely on it and will cost you a leg arm and kidneys.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2018-03-06 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerLCD View Post
    Anyone else remember those HDR monitors NVIDIA announced in January of last year at CES? One year later and they still are nowhere to be seen. On similar note they announced even more were coming again in Jnauary two months ago and still nothing. Anyone have any idea on what's going on?
    I think they pushed them back (Asus and Acer) but fuck i dont spend 2000$ on a 34 inch screen.

Deleted
    If you ask me, you don't want to see those HDR monitors. With the current state of the technology, HDR would be the biggest bullshit of marketing buzzword history ever to be put on a produtct. Well, most consumer products that is - maybe NASA got displays that handles HDR well, if the scientists want to look at astronomical maps. I would say 5-10 years instead, untill it's worth looking at, if it survives early development stage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd care more about displays not having BLB/back-lighting/viewing angle/whiteglow/calibration issues long before something as detailed as HDR would matter.

Another way to word that is HDR would be super rare delicate icing on the cake, but the cake is still muddy and unclean.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    I'd care more about displays not having BLB/back-lighting/viewing angle/whiteglow/calibration issues long before something as detailed as HDR would matter.

Another way to word that is HDR would be super rare delicate icing on the cake, but the cake is still muddy and unclean.
    You can always get Eizo CG2730.
    https://www.prad.de/testberichte/tes...r-eizo-cg2730/

This is it's backlight bleed

This is the IPS glow or lack thereof, basically just the minimum brightness is showing.

And this is it's color calibration

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post

At minimum it would need to be OLED before I'd even consider HDR mattering due to perfect blacks, contrast levels, and viewing angles that compare to IPS and its variants.

This is one of those times things are jumping ahead, but I think it's good because more progress is needed with displays.

Although I wonder how much it would help with 10bit video that has many dark frames and the black levels may be better blended and still an improvement even on TN/IPS panels.

With those Eizo displays you're paying a huge premium for the calibration, and those are just meant for professional photo editing. I assume they have horrendous input lag too. I know there's a new type of IPS panel that was mentioned at CES or something similar a year ago that almost fully eliminates the white glow, but that has to be quite a ways off.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2018-03-07 at 10:23 AM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    At minimum it would need to be OLED before I'd even consider HDR mattering due to perfect blacks, contrast levels, and viewing angles that compare to IPS and its variants.

This is one of those times things are jumping ahead, but I think it's good because more progress is needed with displays.

Although I wonder how much it would help with 10bit video that has many dark frames and the black levels may be better blended and still an improvement even on TN/IPS panels.

With those Eizo displays you're paying a huge premium for the calibration, and those are just meant for professional photo editing. I assume they have horrendous input lag too. I know there's a new type of IPS panel that was mentioned at CES or something similar a year ago that almost fully eliminates the white glow, but that has to be quite a ways off.
    OLED has it's own set of problems, including viewing angle. LG's WOLED is basically a OLED backlit LCD if you're going to quote an OLED without viewing angle problems.

The one you're thinking of is Eizo CG3145. It's the dual layer Panasonic IPS achieving 1,000,000:1 static contrast comparable to an OLED at that point without some of the drawbacks of OLED which means higher peak brightness and no burn in. You can basically only purchase it by contacting them and pay an arm, leg and both your kidneys.

10+ Year Old Account
    OLED has it's own set of problems, including viewing angle. LG's WOLED is basically a OLED backlit LCD if you're going to quote an OLED without viewing angle problems.

The one you're thinking of is Eizo CG3145. It's the dual layer Panasonic IPS achieving 1,000,000:1 static contrast comparable to an OLED at that point without some of the drawbacks of OLED which means higher peak brightness and no burn in. You can basically only purchase it by contacting them and pay an arm, leg and both your kidneys.
    I'm aware; screen burn-in, and color fading after x years.

I've read they're enough of an improvement over TN panels that it's worth it. I'd much rather have better screen uniformity, no BLB, no white-glow, and IPS type viewing angles than worry about HDR.

The next real game changer should be QLED.

I'm still using a 42" 720p plasma for movies and last-gen consoles games since I refuse to downgrade to a TN panel and OLED's just aren't worth it, yet.

if you would actually use a HDR monitor at its highest resolution you could kiss your fps goodbye in pretty much ever single game except for solitaire and mine sweeper.

Get an LG OLED TV.

4K@60fps. 1080p@120fps. HDR. 21ms latency.

If you think nVidia's monitors will be better value, you're dreaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm aware; screen burn-in, and color fading after x years.

I've read they're enough of an improvement over TN panels that it's worth it. I'd much rather have better screen uniformity, no BLB, no white-glow, and IPS type viewing angles than worry about HDR.
    And there are screens like that if you ever look for it... Only other I can think of atm is Eizo EV2736W but that's discontinued.
    The next real game changer should be QLED.
    I... don't think you realize what QLED is. It's really nothing spectacular.
    QLED = Quantum LED or employing a Quantum Dot layer in between the backlight and the sub pixel layer. What this does is it changes the backlight's color spectrum to another. The main reason for this is "White LEDs" (W-LED) are essentially blue LEDs with yellow phosphors. This essentially restricts gamut to a small gamut approximately sRGB color range. Quantum dot changes that to allow a wider color gamut but not as wide as a GB-r, RB, or RGB LED backlight which are significantly more expensive. It's essentially a cheap way to achieve a higher color gamut. That is all it does... really. It still works the same as every other LCDs.

If you really want a game changer look out for Micro LED displays in the likes of Sony's Crystal LED or whatever Samsung's is going to be called. Problem is that it's considerably big and cumbersome due to how it works.
    I'm still using a 42" 720p plasma for movies and last-gen consoles games since I refuse to downgrade to a TN panel and OLED's just aren't worth it, yet.
    Which is fair enough.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2018-03-07 at 08:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And there are screens like that if you ever look for it... Only other I can think of atm is Eizo EV2736W but that's discontinued.
    I... don't think you realize what QLED is. It's really nothing spectacular.
    QLED = Quantum LED or employing a Quantum Dot layer in between the backlight and the sub pixel layer. What this does is it changes the backlight's color spectrum to another. The main reason for this is "White LEDs" (W-LED) are essentially blue LEDs with yellow phosphors. This essentially restricts gamut to a small gamut approximately sRGB color range. Quantum dot changes that to allow a wider color gamut but not as wide as a GB-r, RB, or RGB LED backlight which are significantly more expensive. It's essentially a cheap way to achieve a higher color gamut. That is all it does... really. It still works the same as every other LCDs.

If you really want a game changer look out for Micro LED displays in the likes of Sony's Crystal LED or whatever Samsung's is going to be called. Problem is that it's considerably big and cumbersome due to how it works.

It looks like I'm behind on what's actually out as well as incoming tech since I stopped checking news on Overclock.net since I've never heard of microLED. My point still stands about HDR, I'd need many other aspects addressed first, although settling for just black levels being addressed first might be enough.

I didn't want to come across as 'that guy' that always says "the real game changer is xxx" just to be part of a conversation. I'm still using that plasma and really want to replace it, but I haven't seen anything worth it yet that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I thought I understood what I've read and didn't get suckered into all the misleading acronyms. QDLED/QLED was supposed to have none of the cons of OLED. I chose that as my minimum requirement for an upgrade due to black levels

So from what I've read LG is the only company making OLED's, and Samsung produces microLED's. This is great, we need more companies producing tech so nothing stays stagnant.

I think it's gonna be called MicroLED :P https://www.wired.com/story/microled-samsung/
    Would love to buy The Wall. Anyone got some spare change?

HDR is a little over hyped for gaming in my opinion.

I have a new Samsung QLED HDR, while the picture quality with suitable content is incredible i.e Netflix 4k HDR, games in HDR 4k on my PS4 are meh, Horizon Zero Dawn is great, but still no where near my PC standard.

Compared to an image on my Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor, which doesn't have HDR, games on this are significantly more vibrant, especially if you can run games in ultra, taking full advantage of Nvidia's digital vibrance setting.

I wouldn't worry too much.

Quote Originally Posted by ossyc View Post
    HDR is a little over hyped for gaming in my opinion.

I have a new Samsung QLED HDR, while the picture quality with suitable content is incredible i.e Netflix 4k HDR, games in HDR 4k on my PS4 are meh, Horizon Zero Dawn is great, but still no where near my PC standard.

Compared to an image on my Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor, which doesn't have HDR, games on this are significantly more vibrant, especially if you can run games in ultra, taking full advantage of Nvidia's digital vibrance setting.

I wouldn't worry too much.
    Right now I use the Alienware34 Ultrawide but I was just more curious than anything as I don't see myself investing in another monitor anytime soon since I bought this baby. Also there is only 4 PC games on the market right now that even support HDR. I'll probably wait another 2 years before getting one if and when they ever come out.

10+ Year Old Account
    A shame you couldn't get one of the 2013 1080p plasmas. They're still arguably better than anything in the market for normal SDR sRGB 1080p content in controlled environments.

Just to add to the discussion though, LG doesn't sell RGB OLED panels like Samsung does. They're basically using a RGBW subpixel matrix that's composed of white OLEDs and RGB colour-filters. OLED has a problem of lack of luminance output, which is remedied with the extra white subpixel (although similarly priced LCDs will still output way more light regardless). Those panels suffer from viewing-angle problems just like LCDs, weird colour shifting and vignetting.

Last generation VA panels achieve ~5000:1 contrast ratios anyway, it's not like they're terrible for HDR content. Specially if you're not in a dark room and can utilise LCD's superior light output to increase the HDR range even further.

When it comes to media consumption both IPS and TN are usually pretty horrible due to the horrible black levels, any reasonably decent VA is just insanely better. The OLEDs are amazing in light controlled rooms, but they can easily look worse than modern LCDs if there's enough light in the ambient.

At this point just wait for CLED/MicroLED, it'll give all the benefits LG's OLEDs can give you while not sacrificing anything LCDs can give you in the process. It'll still suck in motion resolution when compared to CRTs or Plasmas, but they just work differently by nature. You can try to emulate the feeling with high frequency PWM or BFI.

And a random information, there was a real RGB OLED TV in the market at some point (Samsung S9C), it was as bloody expensive as possible and they had to cease production since it basically wasn't practical (which is why LG goes with all the gimmicks instead).
    Last edited by Artorius; 2018-03-12 at 03:15 AM.