10+ Year Old Account

Florida Senate Approves Year-Round DST

Florida Senate Approves Bill for Year-Round Daylight Saving Time

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    March 7, 2018, 12:39 PM EST
    Tallahassee, Fla. (AP) -- Florida is a step closer to living up to its nickname as "The Sunshine State."

A bill to let Florida remain on daylight saving time year-round is headed to Gov. Rick Scott's desk after the state Senate approved it 33-2 on Tuesday.

If Scott signs the "Sunshine Protection Act," Congress would need to amend existing federal law to allow the change. The governor has not given any indication of whether he'll sign it.

While the rest of the East would set their clocks back in the fall, Florida wouldn't, leaving it with more sunshine in the evening during the winter. Northwest Florida is currently in the Central time zone.

Hawaii, most of Arizona, and a handful of U.S. territories do not observe daylight saving time.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ht-saving-time

DST never really bothered me. A mild annoyance, it would be cool for it not get dark at 5-6pm in the winter though. The critical thing to take from this is that FL is the 3rd most populated state in the US with the 4th highest GDP, which means other states are likely to follow if to keep some sort of standard.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    There isn't even a point to DST anymore. I don't know why we bother with it at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    DST is such an outdated concept. We live in the age of electricity and nightlife. I wish every other state, including mine, would follow suit.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but, good call, Florida.

Waiting for my state to get off of DST, although I think the sports teams are fighting it due to lighting purposes for games... I could care less, people will adapt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Waiting for my state to get off of DST, although I think the sports teams are fighting it due to lighting purposes for games... I could care less, people will adapt.
    Pretty much how I've always felt about it as well.

People will always bitch and moan about shit but eventually get over it.

I'd rather it be not dst. The sun should never be up before 6am.

edit: it would appear Florida doesn't have really early sunrises
    Last edited by Ayla; 2018-03-08 at 05:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Covfefe the Strong View Post
    There isn't even a point to DST anymore. I don't know why we bother with it at all.
    This is basically what I came here to post. Let's do away with it altogether, please!
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

15+ Year Old Account
    This is stupid. If you want to get rid of DST, get rid of it.

By forcing us to always have it, it'll put Florida at UTC-4 for the months of the year that no other notable part of the Continental U.S. is. I'll have to constantly translate times to EDT when my friends in nearby states are on EST.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

I'm moving back to Florida later this year so it will be interesting to see how this works (assuming it becomes the law). I don't think it really matters one way or another.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Florida is closer to the equator than most states. The closer you are to the equator, the less variation in daylight there is between winter and summer. DST in those conditions give little benefits.

The only good thing DST does is make more daylight hours for people who have to be outside. As a kid I waited at the bus stop for the school bus and if it wasn't for DST I would've had to wait in the dark.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Why would they want to stay on EDT instead of EST? Why would you make "spring forward" your last experience with this exercise in shared confusion? Stick with EST, let us all sleep in one more time.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hate the time changing. Do not care which way they go, just stick to one time.

Reminds me of this lol:

I live in Texas so odds are we will have to fight with...

but... but... Jesus wants DST...

Shame, but likely true.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    Florida is closer to the equator than most states. The closer you are to the equator, the less variation in daylight there is between winter and summer. DST in those conditions give little benefits.
    There's definitely a noticeable difference in Tampa and Orlando. During EST the sun is already setting by the time you leave work at 5pm.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I hate the time changing. Do not care which way they go, just stick to one time.
    Me too, I live in Florida. I don't care which one they keep, just no more changing.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everwake View Post
    Reminds me of this lol:
    Oh jesus christ, that was brilliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

This is definitely what we should be focusing on.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano