Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    You can still blame the easy access to cars as the result of high DWI deaths.
    You can do a lot of things, and there there is the numbers the stats.

You can compare countries with lots of or no guns, you can compare countries with lots of cars or no cars.

I have yet to hear a normal and rational answer about WHY anyone need to have an AK-47 at his home (and usually, several of them)

Please, explain to me what kind of dangerous beast you hunt that require such a weapon and what kind of lifestyle not involving the purchase of Sudafed in bulk make it necessity to have not one, but several AK-47

(Because it's legal is not an answer)

Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    But people are blaming the idiot who did the crime too.
    Maybe we should blame the manufacturers... Blame anyone...

Peace

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazik View Post
    Actually there is no evidence number of firearms in population has direct link to crime/murder rate. Somewhere it is even opposite correlation.

There are countries with a lot of legal weapons and very low crime/murder rate (Switzerland, Czech Republic...). And there are countries with full gun ban with high crime/murder rate (Latin America countries, Russia).
    I'm sure you have already seen this graph.

Looks, it's not that the US has more crime than Western Europe, it's actually very comparable.
    It's that crime in the US is a lot more lethal.

In America they aren't.
    Well America is huge country of 300+M people. It has like 1-2 mass shootings a year (those where where like 10+ ppl is killed/injured).

Realistically a chance you or your family member will get killed is mass shooting is much much lower than you will get hit by a car walking down the street ;-) or die early from drinking too much Cola and eating too many steaks/hamburgers.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Maybe we should blame the manufacturers...
    People are already blaming the Manufacturers.

Blame anyone...
    Explain.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spazik View Post
    Well America is huge country of 300+M people. It has like 1-2 mass shootings a year (those where where like 10+ ppl is killed/injured).
    Doesn't change the fact that it is more common in the U.S. then other countries that did something to reduce gun violence when a mass school shooting happened.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    I have yet to hear a normal and rational answer about WHY anyone need to have an AK-47 at his home (and usually, several of them)

Please, explain to me what kind of dangerous beast you hunt that require such a weapon and what kind of lifestyle not involving the purchase of Sudafed in bulk make it necessity to have not one, but several AK-47

I don't think full auto AK are legal though. Somehow, congress has managed to muster an inch of common sense and ban full auto. Today's debate is about semi auto version of such rifle. And yes, you can legally find semi auto AK. But frankly, i think the AR-15 is a superior weapon unless you are going for shear power.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    I think you have a point there, but maybe not the point you think or want.

I would say like others have said, trying not to be condescending, if you do not feel safe in a civilized, first world country, to point you need to carry gun, or need an AR-15 for home protection, there is something very wrong with that society.

Rather than continuing the arm race, how about taking step towards a better, safer society. See, i can go out to the movie, to dancing or drinking, walk in the street at 2 AM, I do not feel unsafe. Things can happen, i don't deny, crime does exist but it's fairly uncommon.

30 years in France, never a problem, 6 years in LA, i was mugged twice.

Again, i say that with no intention of feeling morally superior or anything, i'm just saying, there is a better way to make a better society rather than lock and load everyone.
    I do not need a AR-15 for home protection. But I want the choice still to be there should I want one. They are still nice for home defense when you have multiple intruders.

Many decades here in the US and never a problem. But they do exist. Same as over 30 years in my house and none of my 3 smoke alarms have ever went off because of a house fire. But I want to be prepared just in case. And since I have a Constitutional right to keep and bear arms, I will take the extra precaution. Also, I believe a firearm is a great equalizer.

I also understand their deadly potential and threat them with respect. As any tool should be which is capable to do harm if abused.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    It's that crime in the US is a lot more lethal.
    The graph is simply wrong. It does count only gun deaths.
    You need to compare all murders/homicides.

For example in France, they have killed 86 ppl with a truck, this is something it will not show up in your graph. But in the end it is still murder no matter weapon used.

Why does one need a Roll Royce? Or a Ferrari? Or a $1,000 phone? Or a $4,000 computer? Or a 75” television? Or any other thing you really don’t “need”? Or a $300 meal?

The answer is simple. Because they want it and they have the freedom and money to purchase it.

Peace

10+ Year Old Account
    Good thing there's a way to reduce Gun Violence then.

In America they aren't.
    When you compare the number of schools we have here, they are rare. But it is the soft, defenseless one which are targeted. Same for churches.

Why do people own more than one car per driver?
    Why do people own more than one TV?
    Why do people own more than one home?
    Why do people climb Mt Everest?
    Why do people own homes with more bathrooms then bedrooms?
    Why do people own homes with more bedrooms then occupants?
    Why do couples with no kids own 3k sqft homes?
    Why do people own SUV's?
    Why do people go to sporting events over watching them on TV?
    Why do people follow sporting events?

You will find that in a free society that people will exercise their freedoms in different ways, BECAUSE IT IS LEGAL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    When you compare the number of schools we have here, they are rare. But it is the soft, defenseless one which are targeted. Same for churches.
    Sorry, but even when you compare to the number of schools. They are not rare.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Why does one need a Roll Royce? Or a Ferrari? Or a $1,000 phone? Or a $4,000 computer? Or a 75” television? Or any other thing you really don’t “need”? Or a $300 meal?

The answer is simple. Because they want it and they have the freedom and money to purchase it.

Peace
    It's because they pretend they NEED the AK-47 for their lifestyle. Likewise, it's certainly not illegal to dress in camo fatigues to go to work, but at one point, you are left wondering if some people do not live in a fantasy.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do not need a AR-15 for home protection. But I want the choice still to be there should I want one. They are still nice for home defense when you have multiple intruders.

Many decades here in the US and never a problem. But they do exist. Same as over 30 years in my house and none of my 3 smoke alarms have ever went off because of a house fire. But I want to be prepared just in case. And since I have a Constitutional right to keep and bear arms, I will take the extra precaution. Also, I believe a firearm is a great equalizer.

I also understand their deadly potential and threat them with respect. As any tool should be which is capable to do harm if abused.
    Can't imagine why. I can't imagine you will fire an AR from the hip, so you'd need to ironsight it to shoot, stock on your shoulder. I can't imagine how is that more practical than a handgun, in a scenario of home invasion, narrow corridors, doors to open, corners to check. Handguns seem more practical in anyway, it's not like you need the firepower, a handgun has enough stopping power.

Seems to me an AR would be more suited for open spaces.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still saw no school mass shooting in UK and Australia after 20 years after Gun Bans.

Are you suggesting that gun accessibility has nothing to do with Gun Violence?

You do realize that only recently do we have more guns in Circulation in the U.S.A. then U.S.A. Total Population.
    Source? There is no way they know for sure how many guns are owned by US citizens. Estimates range between 250 - 320 million. We have over 320 million population. :P

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    And those are the people you will never eliminate from society. They will always have the means to kill. Disarming law-abiding citizens does nothing to fix that issue.
    Anything can be used as weapon. You don't need a gun if you want to kill someone but it does make it super quick and easy. It'd be easier to fix the underlying causes such as affordable healthcare and mental care along with general economic issues with inequality than amend the constitution. Could also just put ammo under stringent regulations if locking up guns outside of use is to much to ask. Almost all gun violence is committed with stolen guns and ammo is easier to come by than the guns are.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

agreed

It's about Gun Violence Reduction. Banning weapons has proven it works in other countries to reduce gun violence and and gun massacres.
    Disarming the police would reduce gun violence too if you listen to BLM and other anti-groups.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    Disarming the police would reduce gun violence too if you listen to BLM and other anti-groups.
    Most people just want good people to be responsible with weapons. But it's obvious that in America it's out of control.

People are already blaming the Manufacturers.

Explain.

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't change the fact that it is more common in the U.S. then other countries that did something to reduce gun violence when a mass school shooting happened.
    People are blaming alcohol manufacturers? That’s a new one... Doesn’t surprise me though.

In this day and age, many people don’t want to take responsibility for their own actions my friend. It is much easier to lay the blame on someone/something else than to take it yourself. Many have a “victim complex”. They think it will gain them sympathy. And many times it does.
    Case in point, is the “clock boy” incident. Hell, he got to see the President of the United States of America and then quickly skipped out of the country. Some people lapped that up like kittens to milk.

Peace