Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

One mum's fight to get wheelchairs on planes

I can't post video directly but HERE

This is something I heavily support. As a wheelchair user I have flown three times and each was horrendous uncomfortable and humiliating. Because of this flying is just not a feesible option for me especially on destinations over 2hrs which unfortunately limits me travelling to places I would love to visit. Changes such as this would open the world up for wheelchair users like myself

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, I thought most airlines did this? I mean, the ones I've flown with does.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Why not just get out of the wheelchair and have someone seat you in a normal seat and then get back into the wheelchair when you're at the destination?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Why not just get out of the wheelchair and have someone seat you in a normal seat and then get back into the wheelchair when you're at the destination?
    The video addressed this in like the first 30 seconds

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Wait, I thought most airlines did this? I mean, the ones I've flown with does.
    None I have flown on, perhaps the big ones do

It is shitty for people in wheelchairs, I worked for WestJet and we were pretty good about it, but ya it is a nightmare regardless.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post

This is something I heavily support. As a wheelchair user I have flown three times and each was horrendous uncomfortable and humiliating. Because of this flying is just not a feesible option for me especially on destinations over 2hrs which unfortunately limits me travelling to places I would love to visit. Changes such as this would open the world up for wheelchair users like myself
    Sounds pretty reasonable.

The system will never ever fit in a standard economy class seat row which pretty much makes the whole idea pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    None I have flown on, perhaps the big ones do
    Lufthansa, SAS, KLM, AirBrussles does it I know.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    The system will never ever fit in a standard economy class seat row which pretty much makes the whole idea pointless.
    Airlines don't make much on economy as is, about 2$ per seat after everything is priced out.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

I doubt they would ever do something like this since if something fucked up on the wheelchair and it came loose and injured a few passengers they would be sued for millions. Much cheaper for them to just replace someones wheelchair that the crew mishandled and broke.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    I doubt they would ever do something like this since if something fucked up on the wheelchair and it came loose and injured a few passengers they would be sued for millions. Much cheaper for them to just replace someones wheelchair that the crew mishandled and broke.
    But they do this one buses and trains

Planes are not like buses, you can undergo serious turbulence in a plane and wheel chairs aren't up to standards is my guess.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Planes are not like buses, you can undergo serious turbulence in a plane and wheel chairs aren't up to standards is my guess.
    A wheelchair securely clamped down is more secure than the overhead luggage

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    There's a number of issues from what I can tell. The first is that the wheelchair takes up more space than a standard seat. The second is that not all wheel chairs can be anchored at the same points. The third is that the number of people flying who need a wheel chair is somewhat low. I'm pretty sure the total wheelchair population in the US amounts to about 1% of the population. We have far more people who need more space in their standard seat and nobody addresses those issues.
    Why can't the airlines just have special wheelchairs then that you borrow at the airport and return before you leave at your destination airport that all have a certain size? That way the airplanes only have to adjust to one type of wheelchair.

Obviously it will help but for even most able bodied people, flying is horrendous and uncomfortable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    Why can't the airlines just have special wheelchairs then that you borrow at the airport and return before you leave at your destination airport that all have a certain size? That way the airplanes only have to adjust to one type of wheelchair.
    This seems to be a reasonable way to go about it either a special airplane wheelchair or just have ones you can purchase that are rated for air travel with a set of standard tie down connectors. I think the biggest reason this won't happen is they keep trying to smash more and more people into less and less space there just is not room for it.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Supply and demand. I really don't care. Unless you fly too often just endure it. If you fly too often, consider moving closer to the place you are flying often to.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

7+ Year Old Account
    I used to work as a flight attendent, and the problem came basically with electric wheelchairs.
    Apparently, most of them have a lithium or another kind of batteries that cannot be in cabin during a flight (same happens with a lot of other devices), so (in our company) a regular wheelchair could be on cabin during the flight, but the ones with lithium batteries had to either go to cargo or be removed of the batteries before entering.
    As far as I remember, in that case they gave you an airport wheelchair to move on cabin.
    "You can wear whatever costume you want for Halloween and it's totally cool but here's a list of costumes I'll shame you for and call you sexist and racist if you do wear them"
    - Laci Green 2015.

A wheelchair securely clamped down is more secure than the overhead luggage
    (double post for some unknown reason)
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2018-03-08 at 07:17 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Wheelchairs were a nightmare to deal with when I worked for ExpressJet (which is owned by United Airlines, which is about the worst airline in the US.) I always felt bad for the guy in the chair because getting it onto a cramped ERJ145 was never fun for anyone.

IIRC, most the larger airplanes I worked on had a wheelchair stowed away somewhere. I know there was one somewhere on the E170-175s that Republic would send us sometimes.
    Putin khuliyo