Poll: Would you get it?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kurigosh View Post
    hey, i know that doing surgery may sound like you are giving up or you dont want to try , but i was 147 kilos and went down to 80 . But after a while stress got the better of me and i got all the weight back. People who are fat have a tendency of gaining weight easier . For example, imagine you having a headache , wouldnt you want to take some pills to stop the headache? thats what a surgery is , its a treatment , not a cheat. I've done a gastric bypass surgery a month ago and im very happy . because even in weekends if i want to eat more my stomach is very little ( and it absorbs 70% less fat and other stuff ), so i dont gain any weight even if i eat a lot of food on weekends. But even then, i have to exercise every day and eat healthy in weekdays just like any person would if they wanted to loose some pounds.
    My plan is to lose all the weight with the surgery , then gain some muscle by working my ass of at the gym ( my cousin thit that and it is working extremely well for him ).
    also there is the question about health , if you stay fat you will live less , its not even a question of if its pretty or not.
    The question could as well lie at the part, would you live well with the band or not? I've seen it work on some, and ruin others. I'd rather work for it with exercise and dieting the correct way, then ruining most of the things I have enjoyment of. The gastric band is a treatment for people who doesn't feel like they have any other methods to do.

My plan is to take up my life and fix it after a severe illness period and I feel more energized knowing that I'm bettering a weakened husk that is my body, and taking on the world again than having to worry about having 1 glass of water too much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOut View Post
    No, it's not about dieting. It's about eating right. From portions, to eating at the right times, to a bit of exercise. That operation is just a bandaid.
    Basically this.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I can eat 8k calories a day and not gain weight. I cant imagine a circumstance where I would even need to consider such a thing.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    I considered it when I was obese but I just stuck with keto and it worked wonders for me and brought me down to a healthy weight so no need. I know some family friends that have had the procedure done and it also worked but they were very obese.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never. Controlling ones weight is purely dietary. If someone is super overweight and is desperate to lose the weight, this won't necessarily work. The person has to do a whole lot of introspective and fully understand what they did to end up as a tubby. On top of that the person had to understand how macro molecules work and how their body processes them. The big 3 things that cause people to become overweight is: being very sedentary, drinking soda/alcohol (any carbohydrate filled drink) and constant snacking throughout the day.

I have family members that are overweight and it's hard to watch their habits. One of my relatives visited me a couple weeks ago and it's disgusting how much they snack without thinking about it. They only had 3 meals throughout the day, but it's the snacking and drinking soda that gets them. Every hour they were eating some kettle corn, some chips or drinking a coke.

If someone is overweight and is a chronic eater, then this surgery won't help. It just limits how much you can eat, not WHAT you eat. Someone can still go home and eat fries with a milkshake after getting this surgery. They might not eat as much as they had, but what they ate won't help they lose weight. This is the issue with america. People would rather have the quick fix than change their horrible habits.

The quickest and easiest fix someone can do is cut out snacking and drinking nothing but water. You get your 3 meals throughout the day with a good serving of vegetables and a lean (white meat such as tilapia, turkey, cod, chicken etc) protein.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yamuri View Post
    I only hear bad stories about people who get surgery like this. Not immediate but over time. Like becoming very sick from altering the body.
    My neighbors Mom passed away after getting the surgery. She was a big lady and there were complications with the surgery. To think people would rather risk dying under the knife than to simple adjust their diet.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    I have a referral to the Bariatric Clinic at my local hospital. It has been suggested that I go this route to ensure there are less complications from a heart attack I suffered 6 months ago. My father and a good friend both had it done. My father lost weight and has become stable at just above 300lbs. My friend went from 500ish down to about 260. At 360, and with diets not working, it's the option my Cardiologist suggested.
    Sorry to hear about that, mate. Not your choice but your father and friend. And true, if you're at the point where your body can't handle the process or gain from it, then a band would be the better option.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Only if it was recommended by my doctor ... which is the thing rational people do.

These medical opinion advice threads get so cringey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Only if it was recommended by my doctor ... which is the thing rational people do.

These medical opinion advice threads get so cringey.
    Of course I would consider is much more if it was at the request of my doctor, and not by my own reasoning.

Deleted
    No i would not if I had a choice.
    I run around 10-15km a day and work out on the gym in evenings, keeping in shape is not a problem.
    Diets normally isn't hard if you do it correctly.

Though I understand people are different.
    Last edited by mmoc44505a06a9; 2018-03-08 at 09:09 PM.

No. One of my guilty pleasures is watching "My 600 lb. Life" and "Fat Doctor" (the Brit version). These are people who are not educated about food and more often than not are addicted to it. They all say "diets don't work" and when they list what they've tried it's always the unsustainable, unhealthy ones no one can stick to long term. Instead of addressing that they just forcefully make their body unable to consume as much volume while continuing to eat the same things (as much as they can). Some cases the weight loss doesn't stick because they stretch their stomachs out and it doesn't really address any health issues other than weight.

Barbaric surgery as a treatment for obesity is a disservice to anyone who could change their lifestyle if given the proper information.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    I have a referral to the Bariatric Clinic at my local hospital. It has been suggested that I go this route to ensure there are less complications from a heart attack I suffered 6 months ago. My father and a good friend both had it done. My father lost weight and has become stable at just above 300lbs. My friend went from 500ish down to about 260. At 360, and with diets not working, it's the option my Cardiologist suggested.
    You'd do better to start eating plant-based. You'd not only lose the weight, but probably reverse whatever heart disease you have. (See "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease" by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn.) I know that's not a popular answer around here, but I'd definitely investigate it before having irreversible organ surgery performed.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    If I was fat, I would probably, just probably get off my lazy ass. I would then proceed to change all the little habits that produce said fat. I would probably stop eating unhealthy food.

Do you know what I probably wouldn't get? A bloody gastric band. Do you know why? Let's just say the reason is probably why I weigh 64kg and not 300.
    spoken like a true moron, keep up the good work kiddo, you're parents must be proud of the close minded ignorant asshole they have spawned.

as to the OP: no i wouldn't because the gastric band is far too dangerous and currently it is only available in the USA because most other nations that support gastric surgery have abandoned it as an option due the severe health risks involved with the band, furthermore i was forced to undergo a gastric bypass several years ago due to a long time health concern and let me tell you now that it is not a fun experience, nor is it something that should be looked at as a 'quick fix' for a poor lifestyle.

10+ Year Old Account
    My cousin got it done. I don't think it worked for him, but who knows where he'd be without it. I wouldn't do it. I"m not nearly heavy enough for that.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    I can eat 8k calories a day and not gain weight. I cant imagine a circumstance where I would even need to consider such a thing.
    Ohhhhh...just you wait Life has a very cruel way of creeping up on you. Through my 20's and 30's I was similar...then I took a desk job (bad) pretty much stopped exercising (worse) and kept eating the same way (the worst) In the course of a decade - I slowly ballooned from my normal weight (165 lbs) to 230. It was at a Dr.s appointment that did it. Blood pressure was hypertensive (I used to be borderline - but now he wanted me on meds immediately) Blood sugar readings were in the pre diabetic range (again - he wanted me on metformin) Instead - I asked him to give me a few months to whip myself back into shape. Just eating better and walking my dogs every night had the desired effect. Over the next 8 months (Feb-Sept 2016) I lost 70 pounds, and the readings returned to a normal range.

Never considered surgery, and frankly - never would. For me, weight loss was relatively easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliandal View Post
    Ohhhhh...just you wait Life has a very cruel way of creeping up on you. Through my 20's and 30's I was similar...then I took a desk job (bad) pretty much stopped exercising (worse) and kept eating the same way (the worst) In the course of a decade - I slowly ballooned from my normal weight (165 lbs) to 230. It was at a Dr.s appointment that did it. Blood pressure was hypertensive (I used to be borderline - but now he wanted me on meds immediately) Blood sugar readings were in the pre diabetic range (again - he wanted me on metformin) Instead - I asked him to give me a few months to whip myself back into shape. Just eating better and walking my dogs every night had the desired effect. Over the next 8 months (Feb-Sept 2016) I lost 70 pounds, and the readings returned to a normal range.

Never considered surgery, and frankly - never would. For me, weight loss was relatively easy.
    Im 40.

10 chairs.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

For sure if I were fat with a giant stretched out stomach of course I would get it done. If anything to postpone my death.

Iam very thin for my age and even if i was a fat i wouldnt use one of those.

10+ Year Old Account
    Na, I work out instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    My cousin got it done. I don't think it worked for him, but who knows where he'd be without it. I wouldn't do it. I"m not nearly heavy enough for that.
    You dont have to be. Those that adverstise this in private, would even put them on people that dont need them at all.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

No. Anyone getting gastric bypass is retarded

a friend of mine recently underwent the surgery where they turn your stomach into a sleeve so you can only eat or drink a few ounces at a time. She has lost about 70lbs since the surgery but now she has to be very careful about what and how much she eats otherwise she can get violently ill. She'll also now have to be on supplements for the rest of her life because she can't eat enough food to get the proper nutrients she needs on a daily basis

I can't say whether she made the right or wrong choice because I've never been overweight but I personally would never do a surgery such as that, its far cheaper and FAR less dangerous to diet than to go through surgery
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Don't need one nor would I get one if I was a fatty.

I do know a guy though, who had it done. End result was that he gained 30-35kg (66-77lbs) back after the surgery. Obviously it took some time for him to gain those back since it literally stops you stuffing your face full. But when he went with the energy drink and cookies diet option, calorie surplus was easily met. As a bonus he got bunch of problems on top of the old ones, like addiction to pain meds, gastric ulcer and other "good" shit.

It's a poor choice for treating obesity, only right way is to change your eating habits.