Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    (Source)

This shows how effective propaganda can be. I've seen many people who think of GMOs as this horrible thing pushed by the government to oppress society or some Alex Jones-level conspiracies.
    Monsanto is into mmo-c. Thats pretty cool man.

On an attempt to take this serious. So you are so distressed with Europe not gurgling down on gmos (as an american), that you feel this need to post alex jones scenarios wall texts on a video game forum. You should take a break between those corn syrup injections before talking about health and science as american.

Another amusing fact. How the entire criticism against Europe's rullings against GMO is US articles and fake "science" websites crying about gmo bans. I'd say its the other way. Monsato funding crap against EU since the americans are already stupid enough to take it.
    Its unthinkable that such fat cancerous corporations would fuel megatons of money in their propaganda all around the world.
    Last edited by Vorkreist; 2018-03-08 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    You actually buy that garbage? Unless you have both gluten intolerance and a nut allergy I don't see the point.
    The stuff they hand out on Delta flights in the free "premium" snack tray almost always has these sorts of logos. I guess it makes people feel fancy or something. Weird brands, mostly tastes pretty decent.

It's pretty sad that people with Celiac feel the need to clarify that they're not retarded when they get gluten-free things.

Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    ..lol..yes there are.
    Are you saying what I just linked is wrong?

https://www.loc.gov/law/help/restric...mos/sweden.php

Swedes, both consumers and producers, are very conscious of genetically modified organisms (GMOs). GMO use is limited and almost exclusively used in animal fodder products. The use of GMOs in food is a sensitive topic that generates strong public opinion. A majority of Swedes consider it important or very important that their milk is GMO free, and dairy farmers therefore avoid GMOs in their fodder. Sweden, as a European Union Member, has adopted a case-by-case analysis for each GMO. One GM potato for industrial use has been approved for cultivation in Sweden, but currently no GMOs are being produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    Monsanto is into mmo-c. Thats pretty cool man.

On an attempt to take this serious. So you are so distressed with Europe not gurgling down on gmos (as an american), that you feel this need to post alex jones scenarios wall texts on a video game forum. You should take a break between those corn syrup injections before talking about health and science as american.

Another amusing fact. How the entire criticism against Europe's rullings against GMO is US articles and fake "science" websites crying about gmo bans. I'd say its the other way. Monsato funding crap against EU since the americans are already stupid enough to take it.
    Its unthinkable that such fat cancerous corporations would fuel megatons of money in their propaganda all around the world.
    It seems like any scientific research that shows that GMOs are perfectly healthy are propaganda funded by Monsanto.

Deleted
    It seems like any scientific research that shows that GMOs are perfectly healthy are propaganda funded by Monsanto.
    There is evidence that they did review and edit outside scientific research. However to what extend such editing was, is unclear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its clearly some russian alex jones shit afoot. EU's rulling commisions all got trolled by russian propaganda instead of listening to the "sounds and proven" random fake us studies. They clearly didn't have access to any other scientific resources before taking those decisions.
    Do I have to take a free day of work to list the hundreds of cases of US fake scientific studies funded by big pharma and foods to push their agendas in US ?

And remember injecting marijuanas is bad because Sessions says so, sugar is good for you and the tons of opioids your doc gives you on prescription.
    Last edited by Vorkreist; 2018-03-08 at 11:52 PM.

See this all the time at my store.

Quote Originally Posted by Deldavala View Post
    There is nothing bad about most GMO's. There is bad business practice from companies like Monsanto though
    Which bad business practice is that?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    GMO fucks over farmers and have put hardworking farm families into bankruptcy, I don't need Russia to tell me that.
    How do GMOs do that? Please explain. This is more egregious nonsense.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

When corporations seek government funding for genetic modification of food sources, I stroke my chin.
    ~~Bill Nye

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    When corporations seek government funding for genetic modification of food sources, I stroke my chin.
    ~~Bill Nye
    Which corporation did that, and for what market?
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Which bad business practice is that?

- - - Updated - - -

How do GMOs do that? Please explain. This is more egregious nonsense.
    First link on google.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...s-seed-patents

There was a big fuss with farmers being sued here as well, not an US exclusive thing. Farmers who didn't use their seeds, but it got introduced naturally into their crops.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Which corporation did that, and for what market?
    It's an out of context quote and Bill Nye isn't against GMOs anyway.

GMOs are perfectly safe. It's just another subject that ignorant morons love to be loud about like vaccines, climate change and so on.

If it's all good, then GMO foods should be proud to be labeled as such.

Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post
    First link on google.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...s-seed-patents

There was a big fuss with farmers being sued here as well, not an US exclusive thing. Farmers who didn't use their seeds, but it got introduced naturally into their crops.
    The seed patent criticism is utter bullshit.

First, patents are necessary for GMOs to be developed at all. Otherwise, the company developing them gets maybe one season of sales to recoup the whole investment. Patents here serve the same function as they do for manufactured goods. They internalize a positive economic externality, fixing (at least partially) a market failure.

So given that there are patents, the patents have to be defended. They don't enforce themselves.

In all the cases Monsanto sued farmers, the farmers knew or should have know they were violating the law. For example, one farmer deliberately concentrated GMO traits by repeatedly planting seeds and spraying them with herbicide to kill off non-resistant varieties. The courts rightly said this was illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Player Twelve View Post
    Are you saying what I just linked is wrong?

https://www.loc.gov/law/help/restric...mos/sweden.php

Swedes, both consumers and producers, are very conscious of genetically modified organisms (GMOs). GMO use is limited and almost exclusively used in animal fodder products. The use of GMOs in food is a sensitive topic that generates strong public opinion. A majority of Swedes consider it important or very important that their milk is GMO free, and dairy farmers therefore avoid GMOs in their fodder. Sweden, as a European Union Member, has adopted a case-by-case analysis for each GMO. One GM potato for industrial use has been approved for cultivation in Sweden, but currently no GMOs are being produced.
    A little further down on the same page....

"The Swedish National Food Agency merely implements the European Food Safety Agency’s decision."

Also note that you are talking about growing crops at least in part. If you have ever eaten anything with corn or soy I can guarantee that you have eaten GMO as the percentage of those crops that are GMO are nearing 100%. Rice is not far behind. You have also eaten animals raised on GMO crops.

..and that article is 3 years old. An eternity in this matter,

I will give you half a point for the general anti GMO climate in Sweden..which is an embarrassment. Being anti GMO simply means that you have not understood the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by arboachg View Post
    This implies "informed" is seeing "GMO", being irrationally afraid, and not buying it for virtue of not actually being informed.
    This is why you have lists of ingredients on food etc in order for consumers to make an informed decision whether to purchase or not

This could be because someone is a vegetarian, a vegan, have an allergy or simply be morally opposed to GM

The part about making an informed decision relates to knowing what's in the product, not whether you have undertaken research about the ingredient or not
    Everyone kept saying MoP was shit, but it started at 10M subs. It's big loss was by months 4-6 into MoP, the total loss across those 6 months was only 1.7M compared to WoD losing 2.9M in HALF THE FUCKING TIME. 3 months passed and WoD loses 2.9M players. This is not due to "MMOs dying", but because Warlords of Draenor is a garbage expansion. Cata also lost 2.9M subs across the entire expansion. MoP lost 3.2M across the entire expansion. WoD lost 4.6 Million 7 months after it launched!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    Yes it is. The only significant difference between GMO's and what humans have been doing for thousands of years is the time it takes to do it.
    at no time in history were humans able to splice DNA in from other plants (even animals like fruit flies) into vegetables.
    there are different levels of GMO including
    So what are the big differences between GMO technology, cross-breeding and simple cross-pollination? Let’s start with the last one. Cross-pollination is simply a process where two sexually compatible plants happen to cross by virtue of pollen, which is the male contribution to this process, being carried by wind or insects or possibly by water – whatever process – to fertilize another member of the same species. So, cross-pollination happens all the time. And I shouldn’t say “same species” because sometimes plants can cross that barrier without much trouble.

The idea of cross-hybridization – or cross-breeding is the way that the question came in – is when scientists – or when plant breeders, could be farmers, could be scientists – deliberately select parents for their specific traits and then transfer the pollen from one plant to the pistillate parts of the other plant, in other words making a cross between two plants that may have never crossed naturally. We see this more and more in plant breeding. The idea is to create a plant which has outstanding attributes of both parents.

GMO technology can also be thought of – or I think of it as – precision cross-breeding. It’s where you’re able to take a single gene, or maybe a small set of genes, and transfer them into a new genetic background.
    personally i am for GMO's, with the exception of inserting genetics in from other species, without testing done worldwide, not tests funded/run by monsanto where the results are guaranteed to be biased.

but saying it's the same thing as has been done thousands of years? that is entirely laughable.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Also note that you are talking about growing crops at least in part.
    Did you miss where they only found one product that was GMO in the food market and was labeled as such?
    If you have ever eaten anything with corn or soy I can guarantee that you have eaten GMO as the percentage of those crops that are GMO are nearing 100%. Rice is not far behind. You have also eaten animals raised on GMO crops.
    Doubtful. No GMO corn is being produced in Sweden, I buy locally produced vegetables and it also has to be labeled as GMO. Never seen any label on any product in stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Where the 'implicated party' here are actually the only ones qualified to talk about it.

This is a ridiculous tactic and I don't understand why people keep falling for it:
    Step 1) Politicize a scientific field
    Step 2) Declare the scientists in that field biased

This is idiocy, and yet it's worked for climate change, evolution, GMO's and vaccines so far.
    No, they're not the only one qualified about it - - and i said out of this GMO case because i dont know either. But usually, they look like the only one qualified because they said they are the one and the others are scams, the same for all pharmacy groups or oil groups who are the only one right, they dont do any damage with this new drill in protected area or this new medicine work incredibly right, all the other things are wrong, move along, they're nothing else to see §

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it is not working on this American.