Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    GMO fucks over farmers and have put hardworking farm families into bankruptcy, I don't need Russia to tell me that.
    That's not what's being addressed, though. They're making up phony claims about the "safety" of GMO crops.

If people want to talk about the evil business practices of specific corporations, go ahead. But lying and misrepresenting the safety of the crops themselves is pointless.

...or, rather, serves to undermine western faith in science, education, and leads to a generally dumber population.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2018-03-09 at 04:16 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    That's not what's being addressed, though. They're making up phony claims about the "safety" of GMO crops.
    Well, someone did claim Monsanto sued farms over patents. Not a very good argument since no one held a gun to the farmers' heads and made them break a law they didn't have to.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Player Twelve View Post
    Doubtful. No GMO corn is being produced in Sweden, I buy locally produced vegetables and it also has to be labeled as GMO. Never seen any label on any product in stores.
    ... and ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Player Twelve
    No, they aren't. I've never seen a single label like that.
    You keep mentioning what you've personally seen in your local stores, as if that's some sort of proof for your argument. However,

Quote Originally Posted by Player Twelve
    In a 2006 survey the National Food Agency found only one item (out of the ninety-six surveyed products) that contained GMOs and was so labeled, whereas ten products were labeled as free from GMOs.
    Your personal anecdotes on what labels you have seen seem to be in conflict with the information from the source you quoted.

Personally, I believe GMO's should be labelled, but I can understand the reticence to farmers having to add additional labor and materials cost to their products. You might ask "What additional costs", well in the US and Canada, at least, many fruits and vegetables are sold without packaging, so if they had a legal requirement to be labelled, you'd either have to package each individual item, or make certain your sticker stays on your produce, to avoid legal ramifications. Besides, as has been proven, the consumer will still have a choice without Mr. Government stepping in to require labeling, as any marketing division will be quick to label their products as non-GMO, which they do.

Honestly, I had more problems with "Organic" food and "Organic" labeling than I have with GMO foods, since in Canada it took until 2009 to implement some sort of standards on what that labeling even meant, and even then there's public misconceptions. Additionally, https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...08521X00000603 indicates that more than a quarter of the organic growers don't believe organic techniques can provide enough food for the population we already have without non-organic food to supplement.

Specific GMO techniques, and the practices of certain companies, may need further evaluation, but we've been using GMO products in the open market for 20 to 30 years. If there's some great cover-up conspiracy that the GMO products in use during that time was bad for you, it took less than 20 years of an actual real cover up from the tobacco industry for the public to generally acknowledge that cigarettes were bad, and 10 years later we had CEO's of the tobacco industry testifying before congress, with considerable outrage when they said they believed cigarettes were not causing harm. The larger the conspiracy, the sooner someone leaks, if there were some conspiracy about the harm GMO products caused, we should have had some pretty major scientific findings illustrating that, much like tobacco, even with a cover up.

As far as labeling requirements, I'd be more in favor of requiring sugar to be labeled in the US the same way it is in Europe, with the percentage of maximum daily amount listed.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    GMO fucks over farmers and have put hardworking farm families into bankruptcy, I don't need Russia to tell me that.
    If GMOs are fucking over farmers then it's just because farming techniques are obsolete and farmers should adapt to 21st century. Not cry over things and try to hold back technological progress. If they can't then fuck them.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    This ignorance isn't harmless either. GMOs can provide great relief to world hunger yet many protest them in the name of weak scientfic evidence and protectionism. Especially ironic when many of these people claim to care deeeply about the poor.
    That's the main problem with this. If you don't know about it already look up the problem golden rice is having.

How does that follow? If it's so safe, wouldn't it not need a label at all?
    If they want to win the argument, then they need to show it by making it obvious..make that label into a statement.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Aren’t almost all the crops we use at an industrial level qualify as GMO aside from those listed as heirloom?

Quote Originally Posted by LonerStoner View Post
    Aren’t almost all the crops we use at an industrial level qualify as GMO aside from those listed as heirloom?
    If you're in the USA something like 80% of the food you find in a store is made with GMOs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn you, team of scholars you foiled our plans again!

- - - Updated - - -

Know what causes me to be skeptic of GMO? The refusal to label it as such. Why should I trust them if they can't even be truthful to me about what I'm buying?
    Literally all food is GMO, have you even seen wild-grown crops?
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    If they want to win the argument, then they need to show it by making it obvious..make that label into a statement.
    What does that even mean? Corporations exist to make money. If they slap a GMO label on their products, some people who are misinformed will not buy them. Thus they lose money and have nothing to gain. Making a "statement" is useless and is an economically asinine argument for GMO labeling.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.loc.gov/law/help/restric...mos/sweden.php

Swedish scientists have not agreed on a firm conclusion concerning the effects GMOs have on health and the environment.[12]

The source links to a case where rats being fed GMO food suffer kidney and liver injuries. It also seems to have the same effect in cows.
    Oh shit, this study again, where scientists used rats who were previously tested some heavy medicine that ruined their kidneys?

- - - Updated - - -

What does that even mean? Corporations exist to make money. If they slap a GMO label on their products, some people who are misinformed will not buy them. Thus they lose money and have nothing to gain. Making a "statement" is useless and is an economically asinine argument for GMO labeling.
    Why not make everyone who doesn't use GMO label their products with "doesn't use GMO products" after they bring definitive proof of that? (it's funny because they can't prove that)
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

The issue with labeling is that people on a whole are dumb as a bag of rocks, for example how many people would be hesitant to buy a food if it had "contains oxidane " on it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    The issue with labeling is that people on a whole are dumb as a bag of rocks, for example how many people would be hesitant to buy a food if it had "contains oxidane " on it?
    I would, because it's fucking water

Know what causes me to be skeptic of GMO? The refusal to label it as such. Why should I trust them if they can't even be truthful to me about what I'm buying?
    And you think "organic" and such is truthful? Even "non-GMO" is not truthful. We've been genetically modifying our food since before the agricultural revolution. It's just now there's less dice rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    I would, because it's fucking water
    but its a nonbiodegradability industrial solvent! its also used in nuclear reactors and has the highest PH of any acid!

Making a statement would win the argument...if public relations maeant anything.
    Or are you claiming that people in the US are more knowledgeable about science than those in European countries as well as Australia, NZ?

So some bioengineers, you know the guys that develop GMOs, have decided that to be anti-GMO is bad? Color me surprised.

- - - Updated - - -

but its a nonbiodegradability industrial solvent! its also used in nuclear reactors and has the highest PH of any acid!
    Hint: Acids are lower pH. High pH is a base. lol

Making a statement would win the argument...if public relations maeant anything.
    Or are you claiming that people in the US are more knowledgeable about science than those in European countries as well as Australia, NZ?
    no americans where just introduced to gmos sooner so they became integrated in our society and food before the scare train could get rolling.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    So some bioengineers, you know the guys that develop GMOs, have decided that to be anti-GMO is bad? Color me surprised.

- - - Updated - - -

Hint: Acids are lower pH. High pH is a base. lol
    its ph is 7 tho that's totally higher the something with a ph of 1 therefor its scarier

its ph is 7 tho that's totally higher the something with a ph of 1 therefor its scarier
    pH of 7 is not an acid. Troll harder.

How is labeling their food "making a statement"? Companies don't care about winning arguments, they care about making money. I don't think you know what PR means and companies have zero moral obligation to let their profits suffer because consumers are ignorant about GMOs.

I don't know why you are splitting hairs over countries. Most people in any country are scientifically ignorant on most issues because they have no incentive to be otherwise. Americans support GMO labeling as much as people in other western countries do and like people in those other countries, they are just as ignorant about GMOs.