Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    The operators of the steel mills because the US doesn't have a state controlled company?
    They will pass those costs to the manufacturers and they will pass it on to the consumer!

Economics 101!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baddger View Post
    They will pass those costs to the manufacturers and they will pass it on to the consumer!

Economics 101!!
    MK. What's the average cost to update a mill and what's the average increase in efficiency? The prices will go up a little and the manufacturing level but when we talk about that level of scale exactly how much will it increase the price? If the average price of a car goes up 100 or 200 dollars for a car that costs around 25k I don't think most people would notice.

Based off this we are only talking about 12-15$ per ton over what's already being spent
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...t-aging-plants
    Last edited by Tierbook; 2018-03-09 at 03:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

MK. What's the average cost to update a mill and what's the average increase in efficiency? The prices will go up a little and the manufacturing level but when we talk about that level of scale exactly how much will it increase the price? If the average price of a car goes up 100 or 200 dollars for a car that costs around 25k I don't think most people would notice.
    There are these things called margins when the cost of something is passed onto the customer.

Maybe they wont but is a trade war that the rest of the world is already lining up for worth the cost?

Hey maybe if companies was patriotic and bought american steel in the first place and therefore what you said where people wont notice a few hundred dollars on a car might ring true but sadly it doesnt work like that.

Bottom line is profit is everything and costs is always passed down to the consumer but if the US government put there money where there mouths are and at least invested in the infrastructure around steel mills maybe that could bring costs down to make them competitive.

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand Trump wanting to help the steel workers but instead of this ridiculous tariff why not invest in Americas steel mills to bring them up to date and to help increase productivity?

Why not invest in the infrastructure around the mills to help transport the ore to the mills and to quickly transport the finished steel out to the market or where it needs to go?
    Because that would help America vis a vis Russia? Instead, Traitor Trump hurts America and it's allies in a way that helps Russia and China.
    Impeach the MF.

Quote Originally Posted by FeedsOnDevTears View Post
    Because that would help America vis a vis Russia? Instead, Traitor Trump hurts America and it's allies in a way that helps Russia and China.
    Funny how these tariffs doesnt hurt Russia isnt it?

Anyway batten down the hatches and wake me up when Great Depression 2.0 ends!

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny how these tariffs doesnt hurt Russia isnt it?

Anyway batten down the hatches and wake me up when Great Depression 2.0 ends!
    Current Employment trends seem to indicate bottoming out at 2.5% national unemployment sometime next summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

So he successfully managed to wipe 100s of billions from stock market.

Well atleast those steel jobs are back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Current Employment trends seem to indicate bottoming out at 2.5% national unemployment sometime next summer.
    That...sounds unlikely. For one, unemployment has been around 4.1% for four months now. For two, "full employment" is a term used by economists to call lowest unemployment rate that doesn't cause inflation. The Fed is set to raise rates several times this year, so, I think we're there, or close. For three, the US has never had 2.5% unemployment rate outside of a world war.

I don't think 2.5% in 15 months is possible.

Well we shall she how this trade war plays out.

Its funny but if Trump just kept his mouth shut and just played golf he couldve taken credit for the economy in 2018 and maybe forestalled a democratic fightback but unfortunately thats not Trumps style instead he has now pissed off all his allies and god only knows how this will play out in the next few months.

10+ Year Old Account
    California Steel is the bigger of the two steel plants west of the Rockies. Recovering from a bankruptcy with the help of investors from Japan and Brazil, they are a billion-dollar industry, making anything from wire to ductwork (they no longer make battleships, but they used to). Naturally, they've been asked how much more money their billion-dollar, thousand-employee business will make from these tariffs.

“If they impose tariffs on our slabs it will hurt our business,” said CEO Marcelo Rodrigues. “We are talking about saving American jobs right? We are American jobs.”

That's right, California Steel will...wait, what? Hurt their business?

Rodrigues said there are two problems with the blanket tariff proposed by Trump.

One, mills in the eastern USA, could not or would not sell steel slabs to competitors fighting for the same market.

Secondly, transportation costs. Importing slabs from Mexico and Brazil by ship costs $20 a ton, he said, moving them by rail from the Midwest costs more than $100 a ton.

“The freight cost to bring slabs in from those countries to California costs 1/4 to 1/5 less than the freight cost of bringing them in from the east coast to west coast,” Rodrigues said.
    That's right: because California steel imports slabs of steel for the intent of refining them into better products, rather than just dumping low-quality product directly onto the open market, they'll be forced to pay the 25% tariff -- about $190 million dollars per year. Actually, correction: their customers will. Because that's how tariffs work.

"How big can California Steel really be?"

By weight, the largest customer of the Port of Los Angeles.

"Okay, but that's just some librul rag tear-jerking about California."

Check the citing. That's FOX News.

Unfortunately that is not how it works.
    When the costs for the steel go up the extra is no simply handed down the line, but all the multipliers that come from processing and the supply chain get applied to it, too. And that you'll definitively notice, because they act exponentially.

10+ Year Old Account
    Be interesting to see if they can put there money where there mouths are.

US steel has been driven out because of high wages, low productivity and high overheads and to make US steel competitive they will need to update there mills and someone is gonna have to pay for that and guess who will in the end?
    We'll just have to reduce the number of employees, lower wages, cut benefits, and give management larger bonuses to make ends meet. That works everytime!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, are you suggesting that a small increase, like a percent or two, is so small it won't have any realistic effect?

Because that's exactly what the tax cut for the rich did for 90% or so of Americans.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, who wants to predict what the trumpeters will say when the stock market goes into free fall and stuff they want to buy costs more? Who's fault will it be?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Not sure how I feel about the tariffs as my industry buy's a lot of steel, but I found this interesting.

Elon Musk goes on tweetstorm, siding with Trump over tariffs

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    So, who wants to predict what the trumpeters will say when the stock market goes into free fall and stuff they want to buy costs more? Who's fault will it be?
    A) China
    B) Crooked Hillary
    C) Mexico

Deleted
    Wow, that's indeed a Tweet storm.

And the things he sums up indeed seem unfair.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Not sure how I feel about the tariffs as my industry buy's a lot of steel, but I found this interesting.

Elon Musk goes on tweetstorm, siding with Trump over tariffs
    I guess that's one way to interpret what he twote. A very partisan, one sided, pro-Trump way. Very "independent" of you to regurgitate what Fox tells you to.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    I guess that's one way to interpret what he twote. A very partisan, one sided, pro-Trump way. Very "independent" of you to regurgitate what Fox tells you to.
    posted information, got attacked over it even though I didn't interject my own person thoughts.

Yup, typical day in MMO champion