Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    With Chronicles 3 preview on amazon talking about Ner'zhul, how he outsmarted the dreadlords and the legion, im pretty sure they will retcon arthas "destroying" ner'zhul in his mind. Dude beat the dreadlords at the thing they are best, the whole "there is no more nerzhul" sounded dumb even at the time, but now that we have more about the LK in chronicles 3 its sounds even dumber. Im pretty sure nerzhul is still there and he is slowly overpowering bolvar. I also think the whole us defeating LK was his plan to replace arthas.

We'll see though.

Deathknight is by far the best class order storyline. Imo. Will have to see if blizzard is going to make the storylines canon or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I remember one of Velen's visions from "Prophet's Lesson":

And I wonder if that Lich King was actually the current incarnation of Bolvar, if he were to have moved into action earlier before the events of Legion. On the heels of that
    I thought the Scourge was too far out of the control of the Legion and therefore a threat to them? (pending source)

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    He's doing better than Ner'zhul did. =] You remember Ner'zhul? The OG lich king that got shanked when his little lap dog Arthas suddenly developed psychic powers and killed Ner'zhul with his mind? And then took credit for everything that Ner'zhul had accomplished. Yeah.
    For Ner'zhul being the Lich King was a punishment, For Arthas being the Lich King was a calling. I think the motivation behind what he was doing made it easier for Arthas to overpower Ner'zhul.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Bolvar's actual initial agreement with the Ebon Blade was that they would serve as his proxy enforcers in exchange for the Scourge remaining in Icecrown - unless that's what you mean by the above? If so, this is less the DK's stopping him and more just agreeing that they're better positioned to do what needed to be done as opposed to Scourge troops entering the fray.
    Even though the DKs are listening to Bolvar they show a good amount of restraint and independence compared to the Lich King. I hope they expand on the motivations of each factions DKs more as we move into BfA. Thassarian and Koltira had their problems with parting ways, and Legion reunited the Ebon Blade under Bolvar, now they are supposed to hate each other again. Will Bolvar have hidden motivations to command his DKs on both sides of the war or will he stay out of the faction war?

Beside Bolvar's fate, one has to wonder how Kel'thuzad is. We do not know if his philactery has been destroyed for good now. His last message is identical to the one he left in Vanilla Naxxramas : ''I will come back with powers beyond imagining'' or something like that. Was that message left like that intentionally, to leave the gate open for Kel'thuzad's return?

I suspect that Kel'thuzad is being kept as the introduction/leader character for a future Necromancer class. That is the only explanation I can find for the mystery surrounding him at the moment.

Bolvar might have his philactery kept safe, somehow. As a heirloom of the Scourge.

Next expansion will see Sylvanus move to north rend where she will attempt to take Bolvar's powers. This way she will be able to continue creating forsaken.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by keymil View Post
    With Chronicles 3 preview on amazon talking about Ner'zhul, how he outsmarted the dreadlords and the legion, im pretty sure they will retcon arthas "destroying" ner'zhul in his mind. Dude beat the dreadlords at the thing they are best, the whole "there is no more nerzhul" sounded dumb even at the time, but now that we have more about the LK in chronicles 3 its sounds even dumber. Im pretty sure nerzhul is still there and he is slowly overpowering bolvar. I also think the whole us defeating LK was his plan to replace arthas.

We'll see though.
    In the same Volume 3 its said Arthas bested Ner'zhul spirit. Again. Although there still his small presence in Helm of Damnation.

I believe each person who wear that damned thing leave their small echo.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwhale View Post
    In the same Volume 3 its said Arthas bested Ner'zhul spirit. Again. Although there still his small presence in Helm of Damnation.

Yes I just read that from the Chronicles Preview. That would confirm that Bolvar is not alone while wearing the helm. He might be influenced by Ner'zhul and Arthas, their drive, their ambition, their personality.

gosh, really? i really hoped its their chance to just abandon this "arthas beat nerzhul" part of story... after what they revealed in chronicles about nerzhul / lk it makes even less sense that a human who got corrupted so easily somehow managed to destroy the spirit of someone much, much more powerful...

7+ Year Old Account
    gosh, really? i really hoped its their chance to just abandon this "arthas beat nerzhul" part of story... after what they revealed in chronicles about nerzhul / lk it makes even less sense that a human who got corrupted so easily somehow managed to destroy the spirit of someone much, much more powerful...
    Arthas was mind controlled since he killed Malganis and before he put Helm on his head. I believe after MC wear off its Arthas' rage and hate to Ner'zhul that helped him to overcome warlock.

After all he (Ner'zhul) tricked and manipulated him in killing his family, friends and people.

Bolvar seems to have been taken over by the Lich King that was in control of Arthas. He has a second chance and he's taking a different approach this time. Last time, he challenged everyone to come at him, this time he's way more subtle and only the DKs are seeing it(but going along with it)

The Knights of the Ebonblade are also being used as front men, the things he's doing is being done through them, or else there would be widespread panic of the rest of the world knew the Lich King was doing all of this. They Paladins cut them some slack, but seem to be unaware of who sent them.

It looks very much so that the Lich King has slyly taken the Death Knights back into the Scourge with even Darion being resurrected by him(reasserting control) and is one of his 4 horsemen. I think we'll see now that the Death Knight Order Hall is in the past, a major development with the Scourge either this expansion(8.2 if at all) or more leading up to it with something in 9.0+. Since the Order Hall is in the past, the Death Knight can now be separated from the Knights and the Scourge, like finally the Lich King tries to subvert you and fails and you get a quest to warn the Horde.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe after MC wear off its Arthas' rage and hate to Ner'zhul that helped him to overcome warlock.
    What Warlock?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    What Warlock?
    Ner'zhul = Warlock. I used warlock to escape repeating Ner'zhul twice in same sentence.

it makes even less sense that a human who got corrupted so easily somehow managed to destroy the spirit of someone much, much more powerful...
    Arthas =/= Death Knight Arthas. While the Lich King was in control until the merge, he allowed the being of Death Knight Arthas too much personality and will. Even though he could never disobey, Arthas never seemed to be forced to do anything. He coincidentally did everything Ner'zhul wanted, which probably gave Ner'zhul a false sense of control, but he showed to have ambitions beyond what a servant of the Lich King should.

Sylvanas is another similar case. She had complete free will and had to obey every order and moment she was no longer shackled... BAM! she butchered and assassination attempt xD

- - - Updated - - -

Ner'zhul = Warlock. I used warlock to escape repeating Ner'zhul twice in same sentence.
    ahh ok, remember though, Ner'zhul never became a warlock. He went from a Shaman to dark shaman/shadow priest then Necromancer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kraner View Post
    He's chilling
    Triple entendre for the win.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well considering new information from Volume 3 i'm curious how they explain Arthas holding out Scourge during WoTLK and not using it with full potential.

Also i find it interesting that his Valkyries (we know now that they were made by Arthas) wanna spend rest of their time in hell for Sylvanas. Something not quite right.

Maybe they (Valkyries) want to be/reach shadowlands hell where is Arthas' soul now?

Also i find it interesting that his Valkyries (we know now that they were made by Arthas) wanna spend rest of their time in hell for Sylvanas. Something not quite right.

Maybe they (Valkyries) want to be/reach shadowlands hell where is Arthas' soul now?
    Arthas didn't make all, those still bound at the Throne did say they were enslaved and wanted freedom from the Lich King.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    Arthas =/= Death Knight Arthas. While the Lich King was in control until the merge, he allowed the being of Death Knight Arthas too much personality and will. Even though he could never disobey, Arthas never seemed to be forced to do anything. He coincidentally did everything Ner'zhul wanted, which probably gave Ner'zhul a false sense of control, but he showed to have ambitions beyond what a servant of the Lich King should.
    that would be really inconsistent. the guy outsmarted dreadlords, one of the most cunning and deceiving race in the universe. making mistake of letting arthas slowly gain control would be out of his character really.

god, if they leave that plot, i wish they didnt overhype him in chronicles, feels even worse tbh

edit: now that i think about it, humans are probably the most powerful race in the universe, the masters of all, so makes sense that arthas didnt even break a sweat

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    We took someone who was irredeemable and hellbent on the destruction of the world, killed them, and replaced them with someone that is preventing the Scourge from doing just that. I'd say that's a hell of a good change. At least it was before Bolvar started to... change.
    But Terenas says they'll be even more dangerous without a leader! So wtf was Arthas doing? If the Scourge is more dangerous without a leader then why did we kill Arthas? It makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post
    But Terenas says they'll be even more dangerous without a leader! So wtf was Arthas doing? If the Scourge is more dangerous without a leader then why did we kill Arthas? It makes no sense.
    From the little bit of Chronicle III preview, Arthas was preserving the main forces of the Scourge so he can protect Azeroth against Old God/Burning Legion. The ultimate irony is that he might have done a better job, at least factions won't war against each other all the damn time.

Sure, everybody is dead, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeliste View Post
    {snip}
    Sorry that was too much for me to address everything! I will say yes, they did a good job killing off Ysera. That was a great moment in the levelling journey. Why? Because it had real impact. That's what I'm getting at. If they bring her back I will groan.

I haven't played Horde since TBC but I never cared about Vol'jin anyway. If they killed Thrall then that would be a "wow!" moment. Variann? Glad he's dead. Was an annoying manga-haired idiot. Now Saurfang, he's a real character, like Bolvar was.

I watched the DK order hall lore. It's actually pretty cool but I want to see Bolvar redeemed at the end of any of it. Otherwise what? We kill LK 2.0 and we need a 3.0? Sylvanas? Lich Queen? It's got to end some time. Actually, conclusively end...

And don't get me started on time travelling alternate universes xD

If anyone reading this has played Middle Earth: Shadow of War, then the parallel I'm drawing here might sound plausible. I see Bolvar as WoW's Talion, who in the aforementioned game takes up Isildur's ring and controls an enormeous army within Mordor, but knows that he will eventually succumb to the darkness and become a Naz'gul himself. Bolvar is no different to me; as pure as his intentions always were, there is absolutely no way the HoD will not change him into a villanous pragmatist at best.