Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    What if pillars had a stacking debuff in a small radius around them, once you hit a certain stack then an effect will trigger, things like a dot, mana drain, or even a knock back/Silence. This would make to so that Pillars are usable to avoid damage or CC short term, but makes sure people do not live around pillars.

So something like the pillars have a 5yrd zone round them ever 2s you are around them you get a debuff for 15s after 5 stacks it starts draining mana for healer roles increasing per stack and a dot for damage and tank roles. If you are way from the pillar for 15s the stacks decay.

I can see issues with the idea, but I can also see ways to make it work.

Just a thought.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    I disagree. The fact that this was ever a viable strategy... is flawed design.

Can you picture yourself witnessing a real life death match/coliseum type situation? Would you honestly cheer for the pussy who kept running away and hiding?

You don't actually watch any arenas, see people pillar humping and then think to yourself, "Man, that guy is really good!"
    Bad idea to relate WoW to IRL fighting.

Some classes are designed around disengaging to recuperate, if there was no LoS to kite around every melee would have to be designed to fight like a warrior and every caster would have to be designed to fight like a warlock.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post

Some classes are designed around disengaging to recuperate, if there was no LoS to kite around every melee would have to be designed to fight like a warrior and every caster would have to be designed to fight like a warlock.
    The point is, its a shitty tactic, its really an abuse of mechanics, and nobody respects you (the global you) playing like a cunt.

I am going to disagree with you on certain classes being designed to disengage.

If that were true in the PvE game said classes would also need to be able to function that way, and they don't.
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2018-03-02 at 07:27 PM.

Deleted

Can you picture yourself witnessing a real life death match/coliseum type situation? Would you honestly cheer for the pussy who kept running away and hiding?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5FU0ZMRB_Q

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Himhim View Post
    Such a GREAT FANTASTIC movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't say i like the pillar hump gameplay but it is a big part of wow PvP. The game would have to change a lot for pillars to not be a core aspect of arena.

But i think they can be improved. The shape and size of pillars play a big role. A circular shape imo should be avoided. Because it's super annoying to have someone run 10 yard infront of you and you can't do anything. Squares, rectangles, triangles or some irregular shapes could work.

Quote Originally Posted by a dot ham View Post
    i disagree. The fact that this was ever a viable strategy... Is flawed design.

You don't actually watch any arenas, see people pillar humping and then think to yourself, "man, that guy is really good!"
    QFT

if there was no LoS
    But there is

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    The best alternative and the full answer? WoW PvP is shit from the ground-up and should never be taken seriously. The game is fundamentally flawed from a core point in design and movement, meaning the LoS issue has no real right answers. Deal with it or play a better PvP game, basically.
    we have a Winner I think

- - - Updated - - -

NO PILLARS
    NO ITEMS
    FOX ONLY

FINAL DESTINATION.

come on Blizzard. let's just have a giant Arena where all it is is a giant circle with 2 elevators for each team to ride up on.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wait we had that in the Orgrimmar Arena. except they removed it cause "OH MY GOD GUYS THE PILLARS WENT DOWN AND I GOT FOCUSED I COULDN'T LOS"
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

4 pages of "buhu i cant faceroll smash this moving target within 10 seconds of doors opening! Such a flawed design. Buhu"

L2P-issue att best...

Quote Originally Posted by Appelgren View Post
    4 pages of "buhu i cant faceroll smash this moving target within 10 seconds of doors opening! Such a flawed design. Buhu"

L2P-issue att best...
    Being able to pretty consistently use abilities is hardly faceroll or disadvantage. It's probably the least players expect from the game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Himhim View Post
    I stand corrected... carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by Prode View Post
    Being able to pretty consistently use abilities is hardly faceroll or disadvantage. It's probably the least players expect from the game
    Which brings me back to the L2P-issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly... comparing a fantasy game to the real world. Probably the dumbest shit ive read in this thread so far

Deleted
    Good old times when you could hear the blood lust / heroism and got blow up in a second in og arena.. so much skill wow
    would be the same without pillars, have u ever played 3v3 against 2 locks without pillar?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    But playing around the pillar requires no skill, it's just shit design. There is no strengths or weaknesses around pillar, that's how game is design. Better your pillar skill is, more chances you win.
    the better you cc the more chance you win - remove cc
    the better your dmg is the more chance you win - remove dmg
    the more healers you have on bg, the better chance you win - remove healers
    logic
    every game has pillars (battlerite, cs go, fornite, battle royale, league of legends etc)

Deleted
    I would like to see those pillars move up and down 100% randomly. I would enjoy anything randomly hitting you in arena to be honest. Pure hunger games stuff, you are fighting in the middle and suddenly a flamethrower appears in the middle dealing AoE damage in 360 degree angle. Or you run on the bridge and suddenly it disappears.

Or things like these could start spawning randomly after a certain time (3 minutes?) instead of this lame dampening. Thats real arena, heroes/adventurers refuse to kill each other for audience´s amusement? Screw them, release the hounds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Games like CSGO at least requires aim accuracy and tactical movement. In WoW only tactical movement is pillar. You can't plan to go other way hoping that enemy won't see you. Also, why you didn't mention Overwatch? Ah yeah, you won't mention what doesn't work your way.
    Last time i played overwatch healers, hanzos etc did not stand on the open. I will just ask the mercy not to run away next time. stupid lucio running around pillars and healing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalna View Post
    I would like to see those pillars move up and down 100% randomly. I would enjoy anything randomly hitting you in arena to be honest. Pure hunger games stuff, you are fighting in the middle and suddenly a flamethrower appears in the middle dealing AoE damage in 360 degree angle. Or you run on the bridge and suddenly it disappears.

Or things like these could start spawning randomly after a certain time (3 minutes?) instead of this lame dampening. Thats real arena, heroes/adventurers refuse to kill each other for audience´s amusement? Screw them, release the hounds.
    random stuff never healthy for a pvp game

The point is, its a shitty tactic, its really an abuse of mechanics
    Agree it's pathetic, those that want to avoid combat for an excessive amount of time should stay dalaran. Arena should be the last place for that

Continuously running around the pillar maybe similar to just jumping on flying mount and wait for cds. Flying mount is just more spectacular but 24/7 hiding is about as miserable

15+ Year Old Account
    They should remove LoS objects from arena altogether and give tank specs the ability to be LoS objects. So if your team is behind a tank, the tank takes the damage.

This basically mirrors Battlerite/Bloodline/HoTS. It gives tanks actual usage in arena and introduces body blocking, which is viable in PVP games. WoW doesn't have collision stuff like this because of the MMO nature, but I feel like collision could be a thing in instances.
    If they can't figure out collision, they should definitely figure out how to actually make tanks useful in arena. Give tanks PVP abilities that dampen people's damage output, I dunno, be creative, try new stuff.

It takes them soooooo long to develop PVP in this game and when they finally decide to push envelopes we get PVP templates.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalna View Post

They tried it and there's a reason to why it was the only map ever removed from the game