Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New law: 18+ to own/play video games

Title.

I was thinking, hypothetically, what would it be like if a law passed that stated in the US, all video games are illegal if you are under the age of 18?

ALL GAMES.

Age restrictions on mobile games, console, computer games. You can't play.

How would this change the generation of youth affected?

Would it be a positive change? Would they be missing out on vital skills from online communication in a gaming setting? Would it lead to a better school/learning experience. Would kids grow up smarter or worse off than ever?

I think this is a very interesting thing to ponder!!

Let me know what you guys think? KEEP IT CIVIL.
    Last edited by Cynical Person; 2018-03-09 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Mods, if I posted this in the wrong place, please do not close, move to the correct subforum thanks!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Why were you thinking this?

Might as well ban all movies for minors just because there are some that are rated R. It's completely ludicrous and a nonsense hypothetical situation that serves no purpose. It's not the deep philosophical question you've posed it as.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Would be idiotic. It would be as stupid as making all movies or TV shows illegal to watch until 18.

Videogames were a large part of my Childhood. Playing RPG's and RTS games rapidly increased my Math and Literacy/Reading Skills as a Child and introduced me to complex problem solving.

I beat the first Command and Conquer game and the first 2 Warcraft games before the age of 9 and they taught me an amazing amount of skills.

Deleted
    I'd support it. Kids shouldn't watch tv/play games anyway. It just breeds autism and other problems.

You have to be 18 years or older to play or watch football.. Makes perfect sense right?

I firmly think that no smart phones can be bought or owned until 21. Your kid has to have a phone for safety? Then they get a flip phone with no texting or internet features just a phone

11 teens die a day from texting and driving
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky View Post
    Title.

I was thinking, hypothetically, what would it be like if a law passed that stated in the US, all video games are illegal if you are under the age of 18?

ALL GAMES.

Would it be a positive change? Would they be missing out on vital skills from online communication in a gaming setting? Would it lead to a better school/learning experience. Would kids grow up smarter or worse off than ever?

I think it would be too difficult to enforce. We already have most parents not paying any attention to the current restrictions (ESRB Ratings). It is very common for a kid to ask for their parents card info to buy a game, and the parent just forks it over without investigating what game they are buying. Or kids getting gift cards as a present and buying games on their own. Some parents may pay heed to the law, but I think most are too wrapped up in their own lives to micro manage their kids video games. Especially as we are in a time when most new parents grew up with video games and understand that they are harmless for the most part.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Its a billion dollar industry they would never allow a law like this to pass.

People can choose.

I like that idea. Not because it rots kids brains, but because video game publishers would lose a lot of money. Once video games become less profitable and uncool, then good games can be made more higher frequency.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I'd support it. Kids shouldn't watch tv/play games anyway. It just breeds autism and other problems.
    Really? What other problems do video games and TV breed?

For the record I'm stating this Hypothetically for civil discussion and I even said in bold fucking text to keep it civil and the first thing you all do it attack me.

Shut the fuck up and read before you post hate.

There, now I'm done being uncivil.

Cunts.

Deleted
    The market would crash.

Lots of people laid off.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Nothing would change no one would follow the law there would be no way to regulate it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    I firmly think that no smart phones can be bought or owned until 21. Your kid has to have a phone for safety? Then they get a flip phone with no texting or internet features just a phone

11 teens die a day from texting and driving
    If I raised a child, I would certainly not allow them a smartphone before the age of 18. If they need the internet, they can wait till they are at a computer to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    I like that idea. Not because it rots kids brains, but because video game publishers would lose a lot of money. Once video games become less profitable and uncool, then good games can be made more higher frequency.

This is one of the outcomes I was seeing that could be a possibility.

Deleted
    Title.

ALL GAMES.

Clickbait title.
    Insultingly absurd idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Clickbait title.
    Insultingly absurd idea.
    Wow can you give an example that backs your stance or are you just gonna hate with your anime weeaboo avatar?

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow can you give an example?
    Pay no mind to those who don't wish to entertain the discussion. It will only breed further uncivil comments.

Why stop there? Make it you gotta be at least 40 with 2 degrees before you can even think of playing a game.