Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    have you seen the downvote/upvote ratio on that video?
    Has it effected sales negatively? If you hate Apple products, this ad won't change anything. If you're on the fence about buying an Apple, or already an Apple fan, then this ad just reinforces your bias.

What Apple is doing here is telling you get get ready to stop buying Laptops from them cause the iPad is going to replace them. Which majority of Apple users are more than willing to agree, just like the removable of the headphone jack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Has it effected sales negatively? If you hate Apple products, this ad won't change anything. If you're on the fence about buying an Apple, or already an Apple fan, then this ad just reinforces your bias.

What Apple is doing here is telling you get get ready to stop buying Laptops from them cause the iPad is going to replace them. Which majority of Apple users are more than willing to agree, just like the removable of the headphone jack.
    I've never brought an apple product and never will. More fool you for trusting a company 100%, even when they'd screw you over.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Not necessarily. Ad's don't follow the all publicity is good publicity. Remember the backlash pepsi got for that stupid kylie jenner ad?
    That's true for ads that gets very negative reviews; this ad is in worst only cringy. It doesn't is racistic, chauvinistic or somehow hurt the feeling of an SJW (ok, maybe the last is true, but everything enrages an SJW).

Still: The ad is not bad per se. And here the ad is an absolute success: if people are talking about it, it's effective.

Deleted

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I've never brought an apple product and never will. More fool you for trusting a company 100%, even when they'd screw you over.
    You think you are bragging but it just sounds like you are getting ready to hunker down in your basement with a radiation suit at the ready

10+ Year Old Account
    Fun fact - this add actually made me buy iPad Pro. I was looking for laptop that would allow me take notes for my studies and there are barely any that are actually genuinely good at it and don't have some shitty issues with pen that would make it a nightmare.

So I seen this add and thought for myself, wait a minute... why do I even need a laptop in 2k18? You know this age where you have everything in the cloud one way or another anyway and are pretty much always connected too. If I need anything that iPad can't handle - I have Virtual Machines - I have these up in vDC, if I need to quickly toss some code on the go - I have either vDC or Teamviewer to either VM in the cloud or my PC at home.

Other work-related administrative nonsense can be handled directly on iPad with that keyboard addon pretty easily and with pen it's a boatload easier when you need to add notes to document or sign stuff.

Especially invaluable is notes taking for studies, which works stellar really - completely eliminated paper for me. It even has cellular modem in it, so you are pretty much 100% always online even without tethering/WiFi/anything.

So basically, I bought in that add and I think it is legit. I am not a huge fan of Apple, but iPad Pro is genuinely great laptop replacement once you realize that in 2k18 you can remotely access any system or computation power you need anyway, so you basically just need a bloody screen and keyboard that gets you there and it delivers it + bonuses like great note taking and sketching.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by digichi View Post
    Its funny, i saw this ad late at night on aussie tv one day, and it is funny how everyone has had a similar reaction to it... so pretentious, leave it to apple to find a way to try make themselves look so revolutionary in any aspect they can.
    Honestly, I think the ones who are stuck up and live in the past are those who scoff at this add.

IMO - this add is spot on, it made me realize that if I already have all my shit in the cloud including VMs with various systems setup which I remotely access anyway, then why the heck do I need a "computer" in my backpack?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    My oldest uses touchscreens and tablets at school. There aren’t even any desktops there now. I really don’t think desktops will continue for much longer. It’s just the way the tech is going.
    In a lot of situations maybe right. However there will always (well for a LONG time) be places that desktops will still be the go to option. In my job I use a setup with 3 24inch monitors. I pretty much need it too - take one screen away and my productivity goes right down. Tablet? forget it! Now I work in IT and manage servers and need monitoring stuff up as well as helpdesk tools and various other front ends I use so it is fairly specific. I do get that for most people - they only need to look at one thing at once so in those cases - yeah. However there will always be cases where you just need the screen real estate.

7+ Year Old Account
    BREAKING NEWS: INTERNET

Middle aged man doesn't understand ad designed to target younger kids. More at 11

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    You think you are bragging but it just sounds like you are getting ready to hunker down in your basement with a radiation suit at the ready
    sorry but we don't have basements in every house the uk, thats an american custom.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by skidfromsteamwheedlecarte View Post
    I might be late to the party, but this shit is funny and cringy
    Meh, I find the video is just boring. The cringeworthy part is how badly that line was delivered, and how the kid just turns away after asking a question instead of expecting an answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    I just don't get why people hate technology so much.. they hate google, microsoft, apple, amazon, samsung, etc.. Just buy whatever the fuck you want..

I personally buy ASUS gaming laptops for me and my family, and for phones and tablets I like Apple's iPhone and Samsungs Galaxy line.. Some people really enjoy mac's and for company side: I buy whatever employees want. Someone wanted a chrome book, someone wanted a powerhouse customer build desktop.. whatever people want is what I buy.

IDC about babies crying about an ad, gtfover it m8

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    In a lot of situations maybe right. However there will always (well for a LONG time) be places that desktops will still be the go to option. In my job I use a setup with 3 24inch monitors. I pretty much need it too - take one screen away and my productivity goes right down. Tablet? forget it! Now I work in IT and manage servers and need monitoring stuff up as well as helpdesk tools and various other front ends I use so it is fairly specific. I do get that for most people - they only need to look at one thing at once so in those cases - yeah. However there will always be cases where you just need the screen real estate.
    Desktops are for sure dead, whatever you mentioned can be handled by any decent and relatively light laptop with docking station. I use one and it gives me all that at work. I personally use Latitude 7480, it gives all that with ease even with 7th gen 2/4 CPU and since everything now has pretty much double that core count, then it's even more than capable to replace desktops for work in IT and development.

Any sort of job that requires real processing power like building/compiling/making is offloaded to the servers with appropriate VMs running there, everything else is SSH to terminal or just outright web applications.

IMO, Desktops are totally irrelevant now for anything but gaming and even there - give it another 2-3 years, really, especially with this whole crypto-craze that literally kills desktop GPU options. I am sure it won't be strange to see more and more people move to laptops with mid-range GPUs there for gaming, simply because they will cost the same as desktop anyway, but are shitton more versatile being portable.

In short, clinging to desktops now for anything except for gaming is pretty much short-sighted, the same way as scoffing at that add, which actually makes a good point.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2018-03-09 at 11:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    I just don't get why people hate technology so much.. they hate google, microsoft, apple, amazon, samsung, etc.. Just buy whatever the fuck you want..

I personally buy ASUS gaming laptops for me and my family, and for phones and tablets I like Apple's iPhone and Samsungs Galaxy line.. Some people really enjoy mac's and for company side: I buy whatever employees want. Someone wanted a chrome book, someone wanted a powerhouse customer build desktop.. whatever people want is what I buy.

IDC about babies crying about an ad, gtfover it m8
    It is some kind of mini edgelord thing.

Hey man I wouldnt be caught dead using an iphone
    I know man I use a Samsung because Apple spys on us
    Oh man all those sheeple just lining up to use an iphone

It actually is really pathetic

This ad is the only ad that has ever made me want to harm a child.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Even the Apple crowd must know this at this point.

But that said, their message isn't necessarily wrong. The computer as we know it is fading out, and mobile usage is winning over.

Sure, they're not as powerful - If anything, that should say something to the people who are sitting here saying "Lol look at this nub using a shitty ass tablet when I have my PC with dual Titan Z's" - That maybe, just maybe, there's more than just the Apple crowd with their heads up their asses.

Mobile and tablet usage has done nothing but go up. Where PC's, while good, are slowing down. People don't have time to sit at their computer for hours on end anymore - Mobile usage is winning.
    How can you say that when a poster a couple of pages ago linked the annual drop in sales of all 3 platforms? Desktop PC's went down 9%, phones went down 20% and tablets went down 26%. In terms of sales volume. So it seems that the numbers say the exact opposite of what you're saying.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    IMO - this add is spot on, it made me realize that if I already have all my shit in the cloud including VMs with various systems setup which I remotely access anyway, then why the heck do I need a "computer" in my backpack?
    Sure, if you find it easy then good for you. I still see laptops/computers providing much more versatility than a tablet can, especially concerning video games. It will always be a subjective issue of comfort, and tablets do not make things easier for a lot of people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    We are moving away from desktop computers, though. As tech continues, we’ll see tablets and mobile devices taking over more. It’s inevitable. I mean, my oldest is that kids age, and she has a desktop computer, but she rarely uses it, if ever, so I can see why this newer generation may associate more with this advertisement.
    its really interesting what this means for the gaming market.

I really have the feeling that new generations wont be playing big expensive titles. Mainly app games that are freemium.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by digichi View Post
    Sure, if you find it easy then good for you. I still see laptops/computers providing much more versatility than a tablet can, especially concerning video games. It will always be a subjective issue of comfort, and tablets do not make things easier for a lot of people.
    I don't play video games for living and I don't tug bulky hardware on my back, just so I can fire up WoW in frikkin' workplace.

Everything else including IT and development can be handled with razor thin laptop and even tablet if you have decent environments setup in the cloud - that's the whole point. No matter what you tug on your back - shit is built much faster when it's done with a server chilling at server room, at which point all one needs is just something to act as a terminal computer that hooks you up to your resources online and you don't need much anything for it nowadays.

When I look at desktops and those desktop replacement "laptops" they look like Frankenstein to me. IMO, anything larger than XPS13 and that can't last me a working day on battery is ancient technology by today's standards when it comes to convenient portable computing, simply because you can literally do everything nowadays in XPS13 form factor and even smaller if you are smart about it.

The only remaining reason for desktops is gaming, but that too is a thing that will soon pass.

Deleted
    If I was Microsoft I'd make a 5 second clip :

What's a computer?

Better than an apple.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Msi View Post
    So cute, but it's 2 years. You can expect stuff to break in the 3rd year.

I own so many Apple products, and it's definitely not 4.3 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taelon View Post
    its really interesting what this means for the gaming market.

I really have the feeling that new generations wont be playing big expensive titles. Mainly app games that are freemium.
    I think you underestimate just how much power is getting crammed into ultrabook and smaller form factors nowadays and how cloud and connectivity technologies are evolving drastically as of late.

With a little vision, I am sure you can see how at 2020s ultrabooks and even tablets will kill all but kill off desktops, simply because of how not only they will be ridiculously powerful for what just about everyone does daily, but also the things they can't do will simply be streamed to them one way or another by a host of readily available services running on machines that are more powerful than your desktop would ever be.

- - - Updated - - -

IMO, you guys simply need a little vision, that's why I like that add, because it has a vision of what will be an actual thing several years down the road. It's like a wake up call.