Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post

You just HAD to go there, didn't you.
    It was admittedly tongue in cheek, but there really are some dangers to forced education. Making it an option I'm totally ok with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The crime rate is already at historic lows
    So even less crime is bad? is there a good level of crime that we shouldn't go under or something?

Cool idea, but I think general free education for non-criminals is a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    So even less crime is bad? is there a good level of crime that we shouldn't go under or something?
    Well, if it dips to zero, then it will result to lost jobs. You could immediately fire all police, prison guards, security workers, quite a bunch of judges and lawyers, and any office workers related to those.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Its just weird to complain about the crime rate when its been collapsing. Its like people do not know what is going on.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

So what do we do when crime jumps 5000% due to people wanting a free college education?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Because education is already free for everyone. Now imagine everyone else had to pay gigantic fees while prisoners could do it for free.
    Using an argument "this other part of our system sucks" is not really a good argument to me. Prisoners should not be forced to be driven into a spiral of can't do anything, so can't get a education.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    True. But until that happens (Which is somewhere between like 40 years and never)
    That's very optimistic

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    we shoudl get rid of the whole student debt issue for state schools if you are within that state. Like New York did where it is free but you have to work/live in new york for as many years as you went to school for free.
    Someone needs to pay for it though; in this case the state. California had free tuition for in-state schools back when I was going to college, but then the state ran out of money and had to cut back - now it's fee-based like all the rest. If enough people in the state agree to raise their taxes in order to make tuition free, or somehow manage to bring in a ton of revenue in some other way, that's great, but I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Cool I'll go steal a candy bar or something and get free food, shelter, and an education.

Sounds like a sweet deal.
    Better than hosting a repeat offender criminal. Now he has that college degree to go commit much more interesting crimes.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    If did something dumb enough to put you away for 12+ years, yeah, that is just you.
    which doesnt necessarily make a bad person forever and ever and ever, but I also don't get a hardon over punishments, our current justice system, and an abjact refusal to forgive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The crime rate is already at historic lows.

Public PERCEPTION is completely and utterly off base. The public is totally ignorant of the massive drop in crime in the past 25 years.
    I think that's because the first chart lists a decrease in property and violent crimes, but our prisons are chock full of people on drug related crimes. Thus I can easily see someone seeing a ton of people in prison and thinking crime rates are huge, while not realizing that what most of us consider "real" crimes - violent and property-based - are actually down.

- - - Updated - - -

is there a good level of crime that we shouldn't go under or something?
    There is a crime rate you absolutely CANNOT go under. I don't know what it is, but it's certainly above zero. The closer you near that line though, the worse your cost to benefit ratio gets when it comes to spending to decrease the current rate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes well that's lovely, but in reality aka not bleeding-heart-ville, these are bad people forever and ever. These are the "Yeah, just raped your daughter, but after 10 years, I'm cool..." or "Yeah so what if I stabbed some guy on the street who looked at me funny? That was like 10 years ago!"
    again, that's not true either. This requires a severe lack of empathy to think everyone is the same and as such require no sympathy or forgiveness. People are all different and are capable of change (mostly). This is reality, not macho sociopath ville.

10+ Year Old Account
    its a good idea but its kinda flawed because it would be free for them but the kids outside of prison have to struggle and pay arm and leg to get in a college and build up heaps of debt.

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems the Republicans want to turn schools into prisons, so, why not?
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Well this isnt education, but pairing abandoned dogs with criminals tends to make both better

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national...437660633.html
    I saw a little piece about that when I watched the HBO docu "Toe-Tag Parole". That program is pretty cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    It was admittedly tongue in cheek, but there really are some dangers to forced education. Making it an option I'm totally ok with.
    There is definitely something to what you're saying. I would think that any program like this would be voluntary. Forcing reformation doesn't entirely work. However, dramatically changing/improving the conditions of prisoners live in would be a HUGE first step. Give anyone structure, encouragement, and a path forward and they will more than likely improves

What I would like to see U.S. prisons be.

Deleted
    im sure they are going to do theyre homework every day and than work for google or nasa because prisoners are genius that how they ended up in prison

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by superblink View Post
    im sure they are going to do theyre homework every day and than work for google or nasa because prisoners are genius that how they ended up in prison
    Ignorance is not something to flaunt.

I guess it's just a terrible idea to try and help people who may not have had the same options that some of us had, eh? Or who just fucked up and want a second chance. Because let's just toss them away forever rather than be a good society, right?

- - - Updated - - -

This requires a severe lack of understanding how much time people get for crimes. Can someone convicted of a violent crime come out of prison and never commit a crime again? Perhaps....

But.why.the.fuck.are.you.suggesting.we.reward.them.for.commiting.a.crime?

It's sociopathic to expect prison to be a punishment? You leftists and your mental gymnastics. You're going for the gold, aren'tcha?
    We aren't. Why aren't you paying attention to the issues we're discussing instead of just making shit up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a leftist. Lol. Actual leftists would say I'm not. I'm a centrist with empathy but thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Liftinmammals View Post
    Sweet! A prisoner could go to college free, but I'd have to give my soul and life's savings for a crack at better education. Sounds cool! I guess the best way for free college would be to either be poor or do crime. No middle ground for the other people. I love my country...
    easy to fix just make college education free problem solved we clearly can afford it when we spend trillions on defense

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest. We're doing almost nothing to re-integrate these people into society (and indeed often making it as difficult as possible for them to, even for petty crimes), and reaping the consequences of that.