Chronicle (2012) 7/10

I'm thinking about going to the movie theaters to see Black Panther. But the shows get sold out (except the front row)...why the fuck are people still watching this movie so avidly over a month after it's release? !I'd have to pay $15/year to reserve tickets online at AMC theaters, which is a fucking scam. (There's a $1.75 convenience fee per ticket if you don't pay the yearly thing.)

*rubs chin* I really want to tear this movie down like the h8r I am, but I hate going to the theater...If I could just show up and get any seats I'd be fine, but committing to a yearly fee just to reserve the seats online is...overrated.

Annihilation - Solid 8/10 for me. It had its flaws, but by the end I was pretty sucked in.

Black Panther - Also a solid 8/10 for me. It was a fun movie all be it a little awkward in spots. It certainly isn't the best Marvel movie ever, nor should anyone have been thinking best picture material.

Mute - 7/10 It was decent and worth a watch, but it was nothing to write home about so to speak.

Wind River - 7.5/10

I wish the story was a bit neater but I really liked the presentation, the tension and the characters. Reminds me a lot of Sicario and Hell or High Water but not quite as good as either (the screenwriter of those films directed this one).

Thor: Ragnarok - 6.5/10: entertaining enough, but trying WAY too hard to channel the Deadpool / GotG slapstick vibe (though admittedly there is some genuinely funny shit here), and could have spent a bit more time building up the villain to be something other than a generic 'kill all the things' entity, especially considering her tie-in. I still need to finish the last 30 min or so, but I doubt my rating will change. Not bad, but certainly not a top Marvel flick.

Hi this my opinion

Black Panther
    8/10
    more interistic character

thats all

White Tiger

8/10
    Plot: WW2 ghost / philosophical story about war and evil.
    Pros: Extremely deep, multiple message levels. Actually very well made and extremely interesting to watch, wasn't expecting that despite a friend recommending it. For those who dig the "Roadside picnic" (book) / Stalker (film), this is a must see.
    Cons: some of the scenes are a little forced. I know it is closely based on a book, but they could probably loosen it up a little. Subtitles might not be for everyone, but I prefer the original sound.
    Last edited by Gaaz; 2018-03-10 at 05:30 PM.

Annihilation 6/10

Cool concept. Meh acting and editing.

Game Night 7/10

Pretty funny. I like the willingness to be somewhat dark and violent.

Death Wish 0/10

Terrible script, bad acting and full of continuity errors. Real lack of grittiness actually makes the concept feel exploitive and shallow.

Gringo 1/10

Not funny. Terrible acting. Bad casting. Looks and plays cheaply.

Mute 1/10

Total shit. Pointless concept, inconsistent metaphors, misunderstood plot framing, rehashed concepts. Bad concepts. Pointless concepts too. This is how not to make a film. 1 out of 10 for Paul Rudd's stache.

Red Sparrow 1/10

Lawrence is pretty watchable. The rest of the movie is total shit- predicable plot, cliched editing, uninteresting characters, bad casting. It's neither salacious, violent or intelligent enough to even waste your time on.

If you are going to make a 'fun' trashy movie that is sexy there has to be an edge to it or a unique take. You can't just give me a recycled spy movie plot, show a penis and a butt and expect me to be impressed.

Everyday 1/10

Kind of a cool concept. Logically, bankrupt. Aspects of the fantastic only work in the context and contrast of mundanity. This movie is all 'feels' and no brains.

A Wrinkle in Time 0/10

Terrible direction and acting. Not a single person is a human being with genuine or believable reactions and behaviour. The imagery isn't even all that fantastical- in fact, it looks like shitty television-level CGI.

This is the kind of movie where which cuts to a reaction shot of characters warmly smiling and that's your queue as to how to feel about the situation. Regardless of narrative logic or lack of verisimilitude.

Empty, vapid film bordering on offensive in it's pretension.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Everything sucks
    So good time watching movies, eh? : P Was this the 2018 Wrinkle in Time that was just out or the 2003 one? I just ask because the 2003 one was pretty bad. Sucks if this one is too.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse - 10/10

Black Panther - 5/10. The movie itself had a number of flaws that I thought studios would have stopped doing by now. Wasn't bad, but wasn't good. Costume design was on point though
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

A Wrinkle in Time 0/10

Terrible direction and acting. Not a single person is a human being with genuine or believable reactions and behaviour. The imagery isn't even all that fantastical- in fact, it looks like shitty television-level CGI.

This is the kind of movie where which cuts to a reaction shot of characters warmly smiling and that's your queue as to how to feel about the situation. Regardless of narrative logic or lack of verisimilitude.

Empty, vapid film bordering on offensive in it's pretension.
    They probably blew their budget just getting oprah

A wrinkle in Tiiiiiiiiimeeeee!!!!!

Verónica - 7.5/10

A solid Spanish horror-thriller. I liked the suspense they were building up with the lead girl and her 3 younger siblings, somewhat of a twist near the end and this movie is somehow based off real events. Very atmosheric and some good scares. The plot didn't feel original and there were some open plot holes that brings the rating down.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Shop on Main Street
    8/10, never knew this existed from my mother tongue. Most straight forward, simple story telling.

- - - Updated - - -

-snip-
    So a lot of shit movies then
    -K

Black Panther: 6/10

It was ok, typical Marvel movie which really isn’t a criticism OR a compliment at this point. Also never thought I’d be pissed off to hear the word “colonizer”, maybe I suffer from this disease called “knowing what the fuck human history is”.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    So good time watching movies, eh? : P Was this the 2018 Wrinkle in Time that was just out or the 2003 one? I just ask because the 2003 one was pretty bad. Sucks if this one is too.
    The newest. I only rate new films here.

I enjoy the act of watching a film and thinking about it regardless of quality at the very least.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2018-03-11 at 08:00 PM.

Deleted
    Black Panther - 6/10

I don't get the massive hype really. Apart from costume design there really isn't anything special about the movie. The story is kinda bland and the whole immigration, black people trouble is hilariously boring. Killmonger could be a likable villain, but at the same time he just sounds like a modern black rapper or something. Wakanda is super advanced, but the biggest 'fight' is 20v20 with sticks and stones pretty much. There is pretty much no reference to anything that happened before, NY fighting aliens, Ultron, ...

Most fighting scenes with Black Panther are CGI, very bad CGI at that too. The car chase scene was ... well out of 2004 or so.

Overall it's just a forgettable film, and boy do I hope Infinity War is A LOT better than this.

Wrinkle in Time 6/10
    I knew going in it was going to have to cut a lot out of the book that I remember so fondly reading when I was a wee.
    Still...damn, I wanted to like it more than I did. And I did kinda like...
    a lukewarm...tepid even, review.
    Had they spent five more minutes on all the points shown, it would have pushed the movie in the 2.5 hour mark, but it would have satisfied the purist in me.

Annihilation (2018) - 8/10 (B+)

Wonderfully cerebral sci-fi, somewhat in the same vein as Arrival and Ex Machina. It makes me think and interpret, and the visuals are mesmerizing. It does suffer somewhat for not being as strong in the event and character departments, relying mostly on the exploration of the ideas behind these things. There's nothing wrong with that, I think people often put overemphasis on character, but it does mean it doesn't quite reach the A-Tier.

Shape of Water, Amazing movie in an odd and weird way.

10/10