Page 30 of 92 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrysis View Post
    Horde isn't as picky about the cultures of its member races and it would be tactically advantageous to consolidate power over the Zandalar continent. If we control that entire continent, we can focus our attention to battlefronts elsewhere. Not to mention that we've just made a move to consolidate power over Kalimdor. Kalimdor has FOUR deserts. What the Sethrak reputedly like? Deserts. We have four different locations that would be easy for them to expand to, if they so wanted. Horde would LOVE to have a race that likes deserts. Installing a member race into one of those deserts would make it much easier to defend and fortify the continent against Alliance incursions. Not only that, but the Horde, like the Alliance, lost a lot of members during the war with the Legion.

Zandalari should like having the Sethrak as allies for a similar reason. No need to war at their homeland versus the Sethrak, and they can focus on building their global influence up elsewhere, such as trying to consolidate more of the troll tribes.

- - - Updated - - -

Not proven yet.

Also, cute drawing.
    Pretty sure OP earlier put a list of datamined NPCs at an Alliance only flight point in Vol'dun, Slithering Gulch I believe anyway all the names were distinctly Sethrak sounding and he/she(I don't like to assume) said they were Sethrak

Yes. This is my. I do not use my usual nickname here. so as not to frighten people. х))

Quote Originally Posted by cfStatic View Post
    They make a pretty good race for the Alliance for the same reasons. Additionally with whatever power makes wherever they settle more desert like, they hold a pretty unique advantage in that they could threaten whatever resources the Horde gained from gaining control of Kalimdor.
    Except that Alliance get to that area second, which means that Horde already have a stronger presence there. And did I not mention that Horde already has some deserts? They won't need to expend that power or Azerite to create deserts since Kalimdor already has deserts in place. That would free them up to do other stuff, rather than terraforming.

Alliance are pickier about who they want, and certainly don't appreciate races utilizing the land to their unique needs. Just look at Ashenvale. Orcs need wood, orcs take wood, because trees grow back. They certainly don't have magical sprites that make wood out of nothing like the Night Elves. And yet, the Night Elves have a hissy fit over the orcs harvesting lumber. Or the Nightborne. You don't feel secure about taking on a legion of demons and protect your people under a shield, they hold it against you forever. Or the Forsaken. Turned into a zombie against your will by the Lich King, and then you free yourself? Too bad, you can't have your land any more.

Can you imagine them letting the Sethrak turning any of their land into desert? Okay, maybe the radioactive crater that is the Blasted Lands, but that is a really unfortunate area to try and settle. (Burning Steppes and Searing Gorge not only belong to the Dark Iron, but also have giant mines in them which would not be suitable for sand, should the Sethrak prefer a sandy desert.) Not to mention that the Alliance currently has two refugee races now -- Gilneans and Night Elves. Horde only have one, and they'll probably just take over where Teladrassil stood.

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Most wars are fought over land/resources. Having your ally sharing the same space means you gotta share the same resources.
    Three things. People are a resource, and an expensive one at that. Warring wastes people and population. War in general consumes resources -- a lot of resources. So unless you think you can win that war and gain more than you lost in the battle, it's a bad deal. With the two major factions, it would be a stalemate, which means you wouldn't win any resources, only lose them, so far as the Sethrak go. Third. Joining the Horde would not only preserve the resources that would be lost through war, but would open up expansion opportunities on the mainland.

Quote Originally Posted by PomPup View Post
    Yes. This is my. I do not use my usual nickname here. so as not to frighten people. х))
    Is your real nickname AngryPup?

Three things. People are a resource, and an expensive one at that. Warring wastes people and population. War in general consumes resources -- a lot of resources. So unless you think you can win that war and gain more than you lost in the battle, it's a bad deal. With the two major factions, it would be a stalemate, which means you wouldn't win any resources, only lose them, so far as the Sethrak go. Third. Joining the Horde would not only preserve the resources that would be lost through war, but would open up expansion opportunities on the mainland.
    If it was really as simple as you believe then the Horde would have joined the Alliance long ago or added the quillboars to the Horde. Just because someone lives by you doesn't mean you are going to become friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Psykho View Post
    Is your real nickname AngryPup?

Alliance are pickier about who they want, and certainly don't appreciate races utilizing the land to their unique needs. Just look at Ashenvale. Orcs need wood, orcs take wood, because trees grow back. They certainly don't have magical sprites that make wood out of nothing like the Night Elves. And yet, the Night Elves have a hissy fit over the orcs harvesting lumber. Or the Nightborne. You don't feel secure about taking on a legion of demons and protect your people under a shield, they hold it against you forever. Or the Forsaken. Turned into a zombie against your will by the Lich King, and then you free yourself? Too bad, you can't have your land any more.
    You do realize all examples you mentioned had the Races of the Alliance in some shape or another threatened by the Horde race counterpart, its not being pickier, is an act of self defense.
    Mage Tower Final Result:
    Dk:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:1/3 Dh:2/2 Warlock:3/3 Hunter: 3/3 Priest:3/3 Paladin:3/3 Warrior: 3/3 Rogue:3/3 Shaman:3/3 Monk:3/3 Druid: 4/4

Quote Originally Posted by Psykho View Post
    Pretty sure OP earlier put a list of datamined NPCs at an Alliance only flight point in Vol'dun, Slithering Gulch I believe anyway all the names were distinctly Sethrak sounding and he/she(I don't like to assume) said they were Sethrak
    Didn't see it verified by a major site, so I treat it with a grain of salt. Not only that, sometimes stuff that is datamined is changed later, or it's datamined wrong. It's just like someone saying that Horde getting Voldunai rep means that Horde get Vulpera. If I were to go by that logic, Alliance would get NOTHING because all of their listed rep was for their faction stuff related to Kul'tiras -- House of Waycrest, House of SomethingSomething. . . etc. Hell, Voldunai could be a combination rep where it's a coallition of Vulpera and Sethrak rebels for all we know.

So right now, EVERYTHING is pure speculation. Okay, other than the fact that I'm pretty sure that Blizz devs are busy eating popcorn right now and watching the show that we're giving them, because I've never seen anything create the same feeding frenzy since the whole flight debacle. It could be exactly as they have said -- the two races have the same set-up as PCs to make them easier to implement, and have no intention of making either group a player race.

So, because everything is speculation, I'm trying to present logic based on in-game lore and stuff, rather than arguments that people give like "I think that Horde got Vulpera, so therefore we should get Sethrak!".

Also, text strings, NPCs, and flight points are easy to change. Show me ART, and I'll believe it. Art is much harder to change, and takes a commitment. Those Mag'har totems, a mag'har wolf, straight posture, and a probable set of armor? Yeah, we're very likely going to get a different kind of orc as an allied race. We haven't seen ANYTHING directly relating to player usage. Even the Sethrak isopod mounts are used by NPCs as was shown from the intro video.

hello toxic players in the comfortable topic

I think the next alliance race is the Khadgar. An entire race composed of Khadgar's mirror images, spreading terrible puns across the land.

Honestly though, Sethrak are possible for either faction, if blizz wants it, they will make it happen.

Zandalari should like having the Sethrak as allies for a similar reason. No need to war at their homeland versus the Sethrak, and they can focus on building their global influence up elsewhere, such as trying to consolidate more of the troll tribes.
    Should they? This is someone they're openly hostile with. It doesn't seem beyond the pale that the Zandalari might think "Hey, why sign a treaty with the Sethrak when with our new horde allies we can just steamroll them and take whatever we want?"

Having two hostile empires just up and decide they should be friends now isn't as straight forward as I think you're making it out to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PomPup View Post
    Blizzard promised that they would listen to the players. Need more agitation.

- - - Updated - - -

well thank you!
    Consider me fully agitated then! If it'll bring me cool snek people as a playable race I'll agitate as much as tube man on cocaine!

Quote Originally Posted by Squiggit View Post
    Should they? This is someone they're openly hostile with. It doesn't seem beyond the pale that the Zandalari might think "Hey, why sign a treaty with the Sethrak when with our new horde allies we can just steamroll them and take whatever we want?"

Having two hostile empires just up and decide they should be friends now isn't as straight forward as I think you're making it out to be.
    Zandalari are having internal troubles and trouble with blood trolls. Why start a war on two fronts when they could make peace and Horde could get another race out of it? Mostly, the thing here is that the Zandalari join the Horde. This trades local influence for global influence -- i.e., they get a greater say and stake on what happens on the world stage, but if the Horde as a whole wants to recruit another race, they're going to have to play nice. Joining the Horde also means that Zandalari are no longer as dependent upon local resources since they can now get more stuff from the mainland.

Nothing is straightforward, but we have little to no data in this general area, and some of the ideas I'm putting forward aren't that far-fetched. It could also be that the Sethrak are illogical, irrational people who are hell-bent on vendetta. Right now, we don't know.

Deleted
    Personally I really don't care who gets them, I will play one whichever side they end up on. However currently the Horde is basically getting all the 'cool' races as it were. Druids with unique forms, the AU Orc clans (specifically the uncorrupted Orcs they've wanted since TBC). Not going to lie, it is somewhat selfish of me I know but we're seeing more and more possiblities with the Horde, they've already got their 4th Allied race confirmed and the Alliance is sat there looking at more humans as their option.

I kind of wish Blizzard had seen the fervor that the Sethrak would kick up in advance, especially thanks to the fact that they're still refusing to give us Naga because they don't want to put in the animation work. I think they knew people would want the Vulpera, hence why they seem to be designed with the intent to at least eventually end up as a playable race but Sethrak seem to be designed primarily as NPCs from the outset.

Still we can do nothing but hope that threads here, on the official forums and the numerous people posting to their twitter with the many different hashtags (such as #SupportOurSneks) along with numerous fan art actually gets their attention.

Deleted
    currently the alliance needs a little help with the hole allied race subject, the horde has now the dreanor orcs and may soon have the vulpira,
    i think that the sethrak will provide more valuable to the alliance than the horde. also there is going to be some improvements with stormwind since the whole prison break and all so the alliance may want to build up there defense. so it batter go gain more than lose from a kings view this war will take many lives so its better to gain more allies than foes, same goes the sethrak (the good ones) since the zandalari think all the sethrak are enemys and soon the horde will apply this view so its better for them to have someone on there side.

I feel like we're already going to be a bit saturated on allied races. Though I do look forward to seeing these in game either way, that snapping animation looks rad. We've come a long way from "oh look, another reskinned tauren."

(the highmountain tauren don't count. They have moose horns! And a storyline that's actually interesting.)

Personally, I'd rather see the Sethrak on the Horde because they follow a loa, are expansionistic thematically, and mesh aesthetically with the Horde.

I'm not a fan of the Vulpera because even with the 'rebelling slaves' origin plot to make them thematically Horde appropriate, they don't fit aesthetically.

If Sethrak are made Alliance, they'll end up like the Draenei and Worgen were for years, isolated, adding simply to flavor the Alliance as a whole, and not appearing much afterwards until they get a brief time in the spotlight.
    Twas brillig

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    Personally, I'd rather see the Sethrak on the Horde because they follow a loa, are expansionistic thematically, and mesh aesthetically with the Horde.

I'm not a fan of the Vulpera because even with the 'rebelling slaves' origin plot to make them thematically Horde appropriate, they don't fit aesthetically.
    They're a tribal race that survive in caravans and ride vultures. I would argue that vulpera, lacking any centralized civilization and being a race of survivors fits in better aesthetically within the Horde than the civilized, high cultured sethrak.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    They're a tribal race that survive in caravans and ride vultures. I would argue that vulpera, lacking any centralized civilization and being a race of survivors fits in better aesthetically within the Horde than the civilized, high cultured sethrak.
    Most of the stuff I've seen for the Sethrak seems pretty close to Zandalari in structure, they don't seem very 'high cultured' or 'civilized', could you provide examples?

EDIT:

I should rephrase that, they seem closer to the Zandalari in the WAY that they're high-cultured, unlike the Alliance's races.
    Twas brillig

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    Most of the stuff I've seen for the Sethrak seems pretty close to Zandalari in structure, they don't seem very 'high cultured' or 'civilized', could you provide examples?

EDIT:

I should rephrase that, they seem closer to the Zandalari in the WAY that they're high-cultured, unlike the Alliance's races.
    Honestly by troll standards the Zandalari are high-cultured enough that they'd fit in the Alliance too, in a different world. Which means the Sethrak fit as well.

The thing about Vulpera is that their aesthetics don't matter too much, they're savage little assholes who will tear someone apart and then play an instrument on their ribcage (paraphrased quest text: "I've used a skull as a boat and turned a Sethrak into a tent-flap"). Thematically, they're a perfect fit for the horde, you know what they say about judging books.

To give a bit more: From what little we see they do have a large, permanent city, that was built with roughly egyptian era techniques (mostly slave labor), and from what we see have a fancy for gold and jewelry, the good faction is also deeply bound in spirituality, while the evil faction isn't. If they become any state of playable, we'll likely see the believer re-absorb the faithless.

The Alliance isn't just about the light, it welcomes all walks of faith who hold to morals and strengths, Sethrak would likely be the odd man out as the race that's getting somewhat hemmed in by an enemy-of-my-enemy situation and having to change parts of their culture (Assuming the Believer faction aren't opposed to ending their slavery practices) to suit their new allegiances, but in writer's circles we call that development and compelling narrative.

Meanwhile in the Horde they'd end up probably stopping their slavery practices anyway, but they'd just be a savage yet High beast man race in a faction full of noble savages as their most defined overall trope.

I'll take them for either faction, but I feel like the story opportunities would be much greater on Alliance.

Also assuming you're the same Skytotem from the post on the official forums (I can't post there), I know being Loa worshippers would be the wild man out, but at this point Chronicles has established that the difference between a Loa and a Wild God is minute, so it's no less off-base than what the Druids and NElves/certain Worgen worship
    Last edited by Veluren; 2018-03-11 at 07:16 AM.