Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Of course its a videogame and theres no chance of it happening in game. I was just pointing out that devs didn't really think it all thru.
    Given that even in a "real" situation, it would be unlikely to have any significant effect, i think it's you who didn't quite think things through. There's a difference of at least two generations here. People aren't meeting their parents, they're meeting alternate universe versions of their grandparents.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    ugh time travel sucks...

One thing i was thinking to make AU orcs work was that having being exposed to MU orcs, some temporal mumbo jumbo happens that locks AU orcs to draenor, and causes AU draenor to reject all the orcs that dont have dopplegangers in the MU, where they are infected with some temporal plague and have to emmigrate to azeroth where the plague disappears or something...
    its desperate but it would give some AU orcs an excuse to emmigrate and provide a lore reason to avoid double ups and inbreeding. would also mean that there will be no possibility for the horde to use draenor as an infinite orc recruiting realm
    You're trying to avoid problems that have no reason to even happen. There's a thirty year difference in age, their MU versions kids already have families. Double ups and inbreeding are a non-issue. Double ups would have been a non-issue anyway. It's not like identical twins somehow can't exist in the same area. At most you need some sort of naming convention to keep them apart, but that's more of a bureaucratic thing.

As for why they come over? Because the MU Horde asked for help and these guys decided to follow the call. Your "solution" just makes the situation unnecessarily more complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    People aren't meeting their parents, they're meeting alternate universe versions of their grandparents.
    That's not strictly true. Thrall met his parents. It's entirely possible some other orcs orphaned on Azeroth could meet the AU version of their parents or other close relatives, and inadvertently shack up with them.

Probably not often enough to be a problem, and with all the troubles MU Orcs have been through having access to AU Orcs might actually increase the available genetic diversity, but it still could happen.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your worried about inbred orcs?!

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a weird thread, and you're overthinking this more than you probably should, or more than Blizzard does atleast.

What about the darned talking cows and space goats? How do you cope with their existence, OP?

Quote Originally Posted by Dispraise View Post
    That's not strictly true. Thrall met his parents. It's entirely possible some other orcs orphaned on Azeroth could meet the AU version of their parents or other close relatives, and inadvertently shack up with them.

Probably not often enough to be a problem, and with all the troubles MU Orcs have been through having access to AU Orcs might actually increase the available genetic diversity, but it still could happen.
    Even if it does happen, there's still the question of whether that would even constitute inbreeding.

Besides, Thrall already had a wife and family at that point, as would most other orcs orphaned around the time of the first war.

Deleted
    In another thread I had joked that because time travel is possible in wow that Anduin would end up pulling a Back to the Future with his mom. This got me thinking that if the orcs we really do get are from Dreanor then due to the time gap, many of the orcs never knowing their parents due to war/etc, Genetic sexual attraction, and other factors that there is a good chance that we will soon have generations of inbred orcs.
    In my country of origin, everyone is incestious and everyone is far happier that way. Maybe introducing more incest into orcish society will make the Orcs a more emotionally stable and peaceful people.

But seriously. Would probably happen in a consequential setting which cares anything about stuff like that. But that is World of Warcraft and the game hasn't even a gay character and fucks with consequences and what should happen all the time.

Given that even in a "real" situation, it would be unlikely to have any significant effect, i think it's you who didn't quite think things through. There's a difference of at least two generations here. People aren't meeting their parents, they're meeting alternate universe versions of their grandparents.
    Of course there wouldn't be a significant effect even if all our orcs mated with their parents or grandparents it would still only be one generation born of incest. There would need to be multiple generations to have any significant effect.

Oooooohkay? Since when has breeding of any sort made sense in WoW? We have fucking half orc and half goat men running around.

You're trying to avoid problems that have no reason to even happen. There's a thirty year difference in age, their MU versions kids already have families. Double ups and inbreeding are a non-issue. Double ups would have been a non-issue anyway. It's not like identical twins somehow can't exist in the same area. At most you need some sort of naming convention to keep them apart, but that's more of a bureaucratic thing.

As for why they come over? Because the MU Horde asked for help and these guys decided to follow the call. Your "solution" just makes the situation unnecessarily more complicated.
    thats even worse! someone could fuck their own mom, also annoying yet very valid questions will keep popping up, like where is AU saurfang? is he as badass as MU saurfang? can AU saurfang access MU saurfang's social security account?
    You can say AU saurfang died and there is no double up, but then you end up just having to kill off all of the double ups. If MU saurfang dies, who cares, we have another in storage, just import it from draenor.
    Will thrall help his dad raise himself?
    ugh god i hate time travel...

This might be some convoluted story, but it actually fixes a number of plot holes that, imo, ruin the story feel free to disagree

Of course there wouldn't be a significant effect even if all our orcs mated with their parents or grandparents it would still only be one generation born of incest. There would need to be multiple generations to have any significant effect.
    So you acknowledge yourself there was never a chance of your scenario happening to begin with?

New allied race: inbred orc

Its not time travel its an alternate dimension. Ergo the bloodlines would be completely different.

To quote the most brilliant intellectual of our time...

Rick from Rick and Morty: Don't think about it!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    thats even worse! someone could fuck their own mom, also annoying yet very valid questions will keep popping up, like where is AU saurfang? is he as badass as MU saurfang? can AU saurfang access MU saurfang's social security account?
    You can say AU saurfang died and there is no double up, but then you end up just having to kill off all of the double ups. If MU saurfang dies, who cares, we have another in storage, just import it from draenor.
    Will thrall help his dad raise himself?
    ugh god i hate time travel...
    They're different characters that just happen to have the same name. You're not fixing plot holes, you're just killing people for no good reason.
    That'd be like killing one of each pair of twins to avoid having doubles. In fact, that's pretty much what it is.

AU Saurfang isn't MU Saurfang. AU Saurfang did not went through the same development as MU Saurfang, did not fight in Silithus, did not lose his son to the Lich King, does not get captured in the Battle for Undercity and imprisoned in the Stockades.

Thrall will not raise his dad. His dad has been dead for 30 years.

Stop treating them as if they were the same people and 99% of your issues disappear.

So you acknowledge yourself there was never a chance of your scenario happening to begin with?
    Where was it in any of my posts that made you believe I was being 100% serious? Was it when I posted the infant mortality rate of AU orcs? Or when I linked to the 6 case studies on the effects of Time travel on Genetic Sexual Attraction?

They're different characters that just happen to have the same name. You're not fixing plot holes, you're just killing people for no good reason.
    That'd be like killing one of each pair of twins to avoid having doubles. In fact, that's pretty much what it is.

AU Saurfang isn't MU Saurfang. AU Saurfang did not went through the same development as MU Saurfang, did not fight in Silithus, did not lose his son to the Lich King, does not get captured in the Battle for Undercity and imprisoned in the Stockades.

Thrall will not raise his dad. His dad has been dead for 30 years.

Stop treating them as if they were the same people and 99% of your issues disappear.
    They have the same DNA not just the same name or they wouldn't look like their counterpart.

10+ Year Old Account
    In another thread I had joked that because time travel is possible in wow that Anduin would end up pulling a Back to the Future with his mom. This got me thinking that if the orcs we really do get are from Dreanor then due to the time gap, many of the orcs never knowing their parents due to war/etc, Genetic sexual attraction, and other factors that there is a good chance that we will soon have generations of inbred orcs.
    I really doubt Blizzard writers will ever tackle the issue of incest in a Warcraft game...

They might make a (T rated) BttF reference in a silly random leveling up quest about it, but it would never escalate to anything more than a meme quest.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Now i can imagine the old good Mankrik raising his AU version and his AU wife version as his own kids. He will be looking at them growing together, giving council to both after their fights, and then, our friend is proud, because the AU versions of himself and his wife are wiser, purest and none of them got corrupted by the fel or lived the horrors of first, second and third wars..

Then our Mankrik dies, at peace and with a smile on his face.

Im not crying.
    Zul'Jin died for our sins.
    --
    My Loa are smiling at me infidel. can you say the same?

Woah, that's... actually plausible.

Though I'd expect them to get to know their mates a little bit before, you know.
    "Wait, are you saying you're my..." vomits

We don't already?