Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    i created an account just respond to that thread

OP , the fact that you're all about that " rpg" factor yet you can't even start to think how transmog can make sense in a rpg setting boggles my mind.

what is transmog in essence ? making a piece of gear look like another right ? so akin to illusion . Like illusions, the modified piece of gear doesn't take the properties of whatever it's transmoged into

let's see , in a world so full of problems as wow , of course there would be a lot of adventurers . what does that means ? concurence for jobs . a lot of those adventurers would strugle to even make a living .

now , in a role playing setting , appearence can make a difference right ? so consider this for a second : you're a beginner adventurer and so nobody want to employ you because you like you could lose a fight against a dead kobold , but you've heard of this guy who , against a moderate fee ,make you look like a far more experienced adventurer , full of gear that would seems looted from exotic and bizarre locations. Sure , it would cost a pretty penny but it is an investment for your journey !

BAM ! after 30 second of reflextion , i foud a perfectly sound explanation albeit simple for transmog in a rp setting .

Quote Originally Posted by naeblis495 View Post
    i created an account just respond to that thread

OP , the fact that you're all about that " rpg" factor yet you can't even start to think how transmog can make sense in a rpg setting boggles my mind.

what is transmog in essence ? making a piece of gear look like another right ? so akin to illusion . Like illusions, the modified piece of gear doesn't take the properties of whatever it's transmoged into

let's see , in a world so full of problems as wow , of course there would be a lot of adventurers . what does that means ? concurence for jobs . a lot of those adventurers would strugle to even make a living .

now , in a role playing setting , appearence can make a difference right ? so consider this for a second : you're a beginner adventurer and so nobody want to employ you because you like you could lose a fight against a dead kobold , but you've heard of this guy who , against a moderate fee ,make you look like a far more experienced adventurer , full of gear that would seems looted from exotic and bizarre locations. Sure , it would cost a pretty penny but it is an investment for your journey !

BAM ! after 30 second of reflextion , i foud a perfectly sound explanation albeit simple for transmog in a rp setting .
    Pretty much this ^

If the existence of transmog makes you think WoW isn't an RPG or kills your immersion then it's because you lack imagination.

From a game design point of view, all of that went out the window when TBC came out. Dragon slayers setting aside magnificent piece of armor and weapons for mismatched junk they picked up from a nameless Hellfire peninsula orc? Yeah, ok. Maybe you could think of a way to rationalize it once or twice, but after half a dozen expansions, the whole "gear pixels = progression" is completely irrelevant.

I'd be totally fine with the removal of the level requirements for transmog as well. From an RP standpoint you could say that you begin your adventuring days with a great looking, magical suit of armor that was handed down through your family.
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2018-03-11 at 05:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Pretty much this ^

If the existence of transmog makes you think WoW isn't an RPG or kills your immersion then it's because you lack imagination.

From a game design point of view, all of that went out the window when TBC came out. Dragon slayers setting aside magnificent piece of armor and weapons for mismatched junk they picked up from a nameless Hellfire peninsula orc? Yeah, ok. Maybe you could think of a way to rationalize it once or twice, but after half a dozen expansions, the whole "gear pixels = progression" is completely irrelevant.
    I dunno. Gone are the days when you would see someone in full tier 2 near the mailbox and rush to inspect them to see what it was.

Now everyone is elite dragon slayers!

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I think over half of the people in this thread, and in the game, fail to understand that RPG stands for Role Playing Game. We are all playing the role of a hero.

I agree with the OP. There is no possible way a newly appointed Squire could have possibly mustered the strength to defeat a foe that dropped that level 100 bling. The game is getting farther and farther from the immersive fantasy world that this game was when it came out. It's a minor thing to complain about, but all the minor things are adding up to what Warcraft has become today.

I realize most players could give two shits about this, but to some people, it's a big deal.
    so level 20s should be required to not wear heirlooms, be sent gold, or summon rare mounts and pets because they themselves did not do it?
    imagine it this way.

Sasha Storm, she has a child, she then goes and kills ragnaros, and nefarian, collecting the judgement armor.
    She then has a paladin offspring who she passes the armor off onto. therefore a level 1 having very strong armor, granted to them by their mother.

and seriously? in most RPGs Link, chrono, secret of mana, you get the "all powerful item" nearly at the very begining.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AlexisSanchez View Post
    I dunno. Gone are the days when you would see someone in full tier 2 near the mailbox and rush to inspect them to see what it was.

Now everyone is elite dragon slayers!
    idk, you must just be bad, cause i get comments on my mog, and on my gear all the times.
    also my TRP but well im sure you dont care about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromgarde View Post
    Gear improving visually over time when playing RPGs is a staple mechanic. If it was trivial nonsense, it wouldn't be something the vast majority of RPG devs make sure to take into account, so I don't see your perspective here whatsoever. Transmogrification already heavily breaks the rules of realistic gear acquisition, that's why certain restrictions were made in the first place.
    Funny, most of the RPGs I play the characters gear never changes visually. Look at most (I think all but I've missed a few) of the Final Fantasy series. The World Ends With You. Undertale. Pokemon. Chrono Trigger. Lunar. Star Ocean. Those are the examples I know off the top of my head that don't change, I have a others floating around but I'm not 100% sure about. I know when I'm playing a table top game (mostly D&D) with my friends we all envision our characters as looking mostly, if not entirely the same from start to end.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stromgarde View Post
    This game can barely be called a proper RPG now. The devs only use the bare essentials so it can flow properly.

Was questing tonight on my low level character and saw a level 14 hunter that looked like he was level 100. Apparently a recent change removed even more restriction from mogging. Proper visual equipment progression seems to be something both the community at large and devs don't give a single shit about.

Just another change in a long list of them that makes me care less about this game. I get it though, the game is old as dirt and at this point the devs and suits above them will basically trip over themselves to please as many people still playing as possible, even if the changes are terrible from a game design standpoint (well, except when it comes to class design as dev egos are more important than anything in that area). I don't expect many people here to sympathize with me, either.

/rant
    Transmog restrictions are what bother you? Jesus christ, I thought I've seen it all on here, I was wrong. This is proof positive that people with bitch and moan about everything.
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Sorry but most RPG elements make for shitty gameplay.

And if I wanted to read a book, I'd read a book, not "play" a game with shoddy writing by most book standards. AND shoddy gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by trajandreps View Post
    The scaling happened and you're worrying about transmog? He better look like 100 since the monster he fights will in fact be 100 once he is.

RPG died the moment scaling happened.

What are levels now? What do they mean, what do they do? What is leveling?
    100% this. So true.

Quote Originally Posted by trajandreps View Post
    The scaling happened and you're worrying about transmog? He better look like 100 since the monster he fights will in fact be 100 once he is.

RPG died the moment scaling happened.

What are levels now? What do they mean, what do they do? What is leveling?
    No zone scales from 1-100. I'm sure you knew this already, though.

Afaik, you can transmog to armor that is at the cap of the level bracket you are in (1-60, 60-80, etc.) I've never seen anyone below 90 wearing 100 gear, unless mailing transmogged heirlooms is a thing.
    Last edited by StationaryHawk; 2018-03-11 at 12:40 PM.