Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Kill him off or redeem him. Let Kul'Thuzad res Arthas.

Quote Originally Posted by keymil View Post
    that would be really inconsistent. the guy outsmarted dreadlords, one of the most cunning and deceiving race in the universe. making mistake of letting arthas slowly gain control would be out of his character really.

god, if they leave that plot, i wish they didnt overhype him in chronicles, feels even worse tbh

edit: now that i think about it, humans are probably the most powerful race in the universe, the masters of all, so makes sense that arthas didnt even break a sweat
    Everyone in the Scourge outsmarted the Dreadlords. Arthas set up Illidan to take out Tichondrius, came back to Lordaeron and the 3 remaining had no clue that Archimonde was defeated and that the Scourge was betraying them. Then Sylvanas outsmarted them(though later, Varimathras outsmarted her).

The key difference, Ner'zhul set out from the very beginning to betray the legion and hated them. Arthas was his instrument in doing so and in the end was the instrument of his own undoing. It's a common theme of the bad guy who betrayed everyone else to be betrayed by the one person he thought he could trust.

Yeah Humans get way to much power and plotarmor in this story. You see something that would drain an elf mage permanently in the story, but then a human saying they just need to take a break. All of the humans get the "young anime main character" perk.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazel MMO View Post
    Next expansion will see Sylvanus move to north rend where she will attempt to take Bolvar's powers. This way she will be able to continue creating forsaken.
    That’s out of character. More like take interest in creating more Valkyr, find the cure to Undeath and end the LK permanently. Anduin would want to redeem his old friend and mentor as well as end the Scourge. 9.0 is def WotLK pt 2 and cannot wait until it’s formally announced

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sumerian999 View Post
    Beside Bolvar's fate, one has to wonder how Kel'thuzad is. We do not know if his philactery has been destroyed for good now. His last message is identical to the one he left in Vanilla Naxxramas : ''I will come back with powers beyond imagining'' or something like that. Was that message left like that intentionally, to leave the gate open for Kel'thuzad's return?

I suspect that Kel'thuzad is being kept as the introduction/leader character for a future Necromancer class. That is the only explanation I can find for the mystery surrounding him at the moment.

Bolvar might have his philactery kept safe, somehow. As a heirloom of the Scourge.
    This. I suspect Necromancer hero class restricted to Humans and Undead and a throw back to the DK storyline
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

While I love the Lich King, both old and new, and the DK Legion story was badass, I do agree that the whole "There must always be a Lich King / jailer of the dammed" doesn't totally make sense. Why do the Scourge need to be jailed? One of our heroes now controls them all; just make them kill each other until all the Scourge are gone! You literally have that power. Or just force them to stand there while we go through and chop them to bits, or mana-bomb them into oblivion, or a dozen different scenarios. There's no reason (besides insurance for future plot and story) to have a jailer over a bunch of mindless slaves that you can control their every move.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post
    I hope they ret-con everything since Wrathgate and just say he died. "There must always be a Lich King" is the worst writing in the history of text.
    Written many books, aye? Practically a literary scholar perhaps?

OT: I for see Bolvar as a Illidan 2.0, and I mean as we understand Illidan now. "I was only doing it to save the world" kinda thing explaining his power thirst.

If you take a look at the Loading screen.

Not so well.
    Mage Tower Final Result:
    Dk:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:1/3 Dh:2/2 Warlock:3/3 Hunter: 3/3 Priest:3/3 Paladin:3/3 Warrior: 3/3 Rogue:3/3 Shaman:3/3 Monk:3/3 Druid: 4/4

Deleted
    Well, from what i have played on my DK, there is little or nothing left of Bolvar in there. It's all Ner'zhul scheming.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Chronicle 3 makes the "Lich King" entity even more interesting then during Warcraft 3 and Wotlk.

He's being corrupted by Yogg-Saron.

Proof?
    -He's living in a citadel made of Living Saronite

-King Terenas tells Arthas "No king rules forever, my son". The only other being who says that is Yogg-Saron: "He [Arthas] will learn... no king rules forever; only death is eternal!" King Terenas was like Sara; an illusion created by Yogg-Saron to gain control of the Lich King.

-One of the Brain Room scenes in the Yogg-Saron encounter is Arthas torturing, but not breaking, Bolvar. The other two scenes are of Garona's temporary mind control when she murders King Llane and the corruption of Deathwing, both instances of Yogg-Saron being involved in the corruption of those individuals. What would Yogg-Saron have to do with Arthas and Bolvar? The only answer is that Yogg-Saron corrupted Bolvar, which is why Arthas couldn't break him.

-"There is supposed to be a tie-in between Yogg-Saron (the boss of Ulduar) and the Lich King, and that’s how that was supposed to make sense – through Yogg-Saron’s manipulation of world events. I don’t think that was obvious enough to the players. It’s hard for them to draw that connection even though theoretically that connection exists. In the planning stages, that wasn’t much of a factor for us, because in our minds that connection existed and was clear. We just didn’t do a very good job of expressing it."

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/wo...lich-king.aspx
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

It's hard to say if there's any Bolvar left.

Memory of Arthas says: You believe that you are in control, that your will is your own...
    Yet you do as He commands.
    You exist by His whim alone.
    You imagine yourself to be free, but you will always be His instrument...

Some part of me is convinced Ner'zhul is still in there, removed and stored within Frostmourne by Arthas in the novel, but released and housing himself back in the helmet afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    The paladins stopped the DKs before they were able to. And even if it was all a test of loyalty, it was a fucked up way to go about that.
    Technically paladins never stopped the DKs, DKs destroyed all the paladins in their way, including Liadrin. The only thing that stopped the DKs was the light itself intervined to stop and protect Tirions body.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    They didn't make an argument that Bolvar should stay dead for the lulz, but that "there must always be a Lich King" (which was the reason for bringing Bolvar back) should be retconned, because it sucked. As to why they think so, I do not know, so I'll say my opinion on it instead. It makes zero sense. Forsaken broke free when the Frozen Throne was hit was a spell from another continent.
    Forsaken are a higher form of Undead than the base level Scourge. Always have been. They required a powerful lieutenant of the Lich King to be nearby to keep them under control.

Ebon Blade broke free when the Lich King got hit with Ashbringer.
    Actually, they were always free-willed, to an extent. The Lich King could only "force" them to do his bidding when he was nearby. Even then, Darion managed to shrug off his power long enough to throw Tyrion the Ashbringer.

And it's not just higher undead, Forsaken are mostly zombies and ghouls,
    No, they're Forsaken. Zombies and Ghouls are relatively mindless. And they outnumber the intelligent undead about 20 or more to 1. At least.

members of Acherus that broke free include even abominations and skeletons.
    No, they didn't break free. They are simply under the control of the Death Knights. The entire POINT of having higher-power, free-willed/intelligent Undead was to extend the reach of control - the Lich King couldn't control everything from Northrend (and never could); that's why he went so "easy" on us during the Lich King campaign - he WANTED us to come before him and die, so he could have even more powerful lieutenants to command the Scourge for him.

Yet somehow Lich King, the person that bound all undead to him, dying would not only not free the rest of the Scourge, but somehow make it even worse of a threat. Even though the Lich King was also the person that could resurrect them en masse (with us spending a year at killing Scourge's necromancers).
    We never faced even a fraction of the Scourge's true might. Arthas literally never released them to fight us. He WANTED us to make it before him. Because he knew he could take us and make us Scourge.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Paladins stopped them yes for sure, but not everything is what it seems . That was merely a distraction, Bolvar took something that is for sure. What it was we do not know.
    Actually, the Paladins present got their asses handed to them. The Light itself prevented the Deathlord from taking Tyrion. Mind you, this attack did occur when ~90% of the Order was away saving the Priests' bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post
    I hope they ret-con everything since Wrathgate and just say he died. "There must always be a Lich King" is the worst writing in the history of text.
    If they cannot destroy the helm, and the scourge is still a scourge, millions of undead wandering the earth attacking freely, having someone take that mantle and fight to control it from overrunning azeroth is necessary. That said, it's one cheesy ass line.
    I level warriors, I have 48 max level warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by AbalDarkwind View Post
    He's being corrupted by Yogg-Saron.

Proof?
    -He's living in a citadel made of Living Saronite

-King Terenas tells Arthas "No king rules forever, my son". The only other being who says that is Yogg-Saron: "He [Arthas] will learn... no king rules forever; only death is eternal!" King Terenas was like Sara; an illusion created by Yogg-Saron to gain control of the Lich King.

-One of the Brain Room scenes in the Yogg-Saron encounter is Arthas torturing, but not breaking, Bolvar. The other two scenes are of Garona's temporary mind control when she murders King Llane and the corruption of Deathwing, both instances of Yogg-Saron being involved in the corruption of those individuals. What would Yogg-Saron have to do with Arthas and Bolvar? The only answer is that Yogg-Saron corrupted Bolvar, which is why Arthas couldn't break him.

-"There is supposed to be a tie-in between Yogg-Saron (the boss of Ulduar) and the Lich King, and that’s how that was supposed to make sense – through Yogg-Saron’s manipulation of world events. I don’t think that was obvious enough to the players. It’s hard for them to draw that connection even though theoretically that connection exists. In the planning stages, that wasn’t much of a factor for us, because in our minds that connection existed and was clear. We just didn’t do a very good job of expressing it."

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/wo...lich-king.aspx
    Except the Scourge are immune to the effects of Saronite.

Quote Originally Posted by Benomatic View Post
    Kill him off or redeem him. Let Kul'Thuzad res Arthas.
    The last thing I want to see is Arthas come back. If we're going to do another Scourge plot and don't want Bolvar, let Kel'Thuzad take the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Benomatic View Post
    I miss Arthas
    He was ironically far more interesting as the douche bag Death Knight than when he became the LK

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Except the Scourge are immune to the effects of Saronite.
    Bolvar wasn't part of the Scourge when he was being tortured.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

Nerzhul is gone. His soul was merged with Arthas' and died with him

Remember Bolvar told Tyrion, tell them I died. Even though Bolvar didn't. So food for thought.