Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

How can I build my secret undergound megavillain base.

Inspired by places such as those below I was interested in the construction of them. How did they build them and not have them fall in.
    Was there a primitive science behind them or were they relying on luck with the ancient constructions we see today being the ones that haven't collapsed.

The salt mine in Poland.
    . Currently, it reaches a depth of 327 meters (1,073 ft.) and it's 287km (178 miles) long. This site is one of the greatest attractions in southern Poland, but also one of the country’s most important natural treasures. The first people entered the mine and started using the salt from the deposit during the Neolithic period. The mine is a key part of the region’s culture and also a wonderful underground monument which commemorates many generations of miners.

Catacombs in France.
    So it went to the tunnels, moving bones from the cemeteries five stories underground into Paris' former quarries. Cemeteries began to be emptied in 1786, beginning with Les Innocents. It took the city 12 years to move all the bones—from bodies numbering between 6 and 7 million—into the catacombs. Some of the oldest date back as far as the Merovingian era, more than 1,200 years ago.
    Claimed to be 200-300 kilomteres long.

Even the Palestinians were at it. I'm not sure how sturdy they are.

Non human tunneling will also be considered once I get some wombats like this guy has.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not a secret since you just told us. Rip you

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah saw this in that movie with Tom Hanks, great secret.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just buy a old missile silo in Wy.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

It's probably important for you to have some context. The Wieliczka Salt Mine was opened in the 13th Century... our neolithic ancestors might have obtained salt there, but they are not the ones responsible for all of the architectural elements you're so enthralled with. Those are much more modern and would have begun during Europe's Gothic period of architecture.

Similarly, the Catacombs of Paris are about as old as the United States of America (which is to say; not very old at all). They were constructed in the late 1700s as you note in your quotation.

I mean I get it... I'm American and anything that is 50 years old gets knocked down to put up a Walmart but hell... "primitive science" is a bit of a stretch to define buildings that are 200 - 800 years old.

I train on Fallout 4 to learn to build a megavilain base.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I mean there is nothing primitive in the science that built the Pyramids, or the Parthenon, or the Mayan city complexes either. They did not have equal access to materials but from an engineering perspective they were quite advanced.
    Absolutely. Yet if we're to take Jeffyman's perspective it was 'primitive science' or just dumb luck. I think he doesn't quite have a firm understanding of how long humanity has had access to basic geometry and trigonometry. From a modern perspective we've had access to what we call geometry and trigonometry (the basics of architecture) long before either the Catacombs or Salt Mines were constructed.

Other civilizations developed mathematics around a similar time. The Mayans had their own mathematical system that, for its time, was arguably the most advanced in the world. Ancient Egyptians had their own mathematics that are at least as old as 2700 BCE.

Like I said above, my guess is that Jeffyman is a young American with no real understanding of how old some things are.

You need Billions of dollars, shell corporations to buy materials and the willingness to sacrifice your workers to hide your secrets. Or you can be Batman and build it all yourself in 3 days.

10+ Year Old Account
    your gonna need a mountain first or a cave.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean there is nothing primitive in the science that built the Pyramids, or the Parthenon, or the Mayan city complexes either. They did not have equal access to materials but from an engineering perspective they were quite advanced.
    That's because we had this wonderful period called the Dark Ages, where much of the engineering we think of as "advanced" was destroyed (partly on purpose). We lost not only potential further development, but even simple developments like writing became scarce, even basic woodworking was lost, not to mention stoneworking, construction and engineering principles and metallurgy.

Almost all of this had to be redeveloped, much of it from scratch.

If you were to subtract the Dark Ages from a timeline of human technological development, there would be almost no noticeable jump.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by isuridedes View Post
    I mean I get it... I'm American and anything that is 50 years old gets knocked down to put up a Walmart but hell... "primitive science" is a bit of a stretch to define buildings that are 200 - 800 years old.
    They didn't have advanced simulations,seismic sensors,geological analysis and advanced materials we have today.

So what technology did they have for staying safe building what we've seen in this thread for example the marble construction Thurin posted. It would be a bit of a bummer if there was a fault in the rock they were cutting into. Were the tunnels in the gaza strip made with not so primitive 800 year old maths or did they dig a tunnel and prop it up with whatever cement they had?

There are some theories put forward that they're constructions were built further back than the Egyptians with some other means.

Hire a contractor. Then once it’s built, do what must be done to the contractor and it’s employees to ensure complete secrecy.

Peace

Deleted
    Start digging.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyman View Post
    They didn't have advanced simulations,seismic sensors,geological analysis and advanced materials we have today.
    Fun fact; the first seismograph was invented in China around 130 AD. They've certainly improved over the years but they've been around for awhile. But let's take a look for a moment at some of the things constructed before the advance of computer simulations and advanced materials (Spoiler: Steel doesn't count; it's been around in various states since 400 BC).

• Hagia Sophia (537 AD)
    • Acropolis of Athens (495 - 429 BC)
    • Notre-Dame Cathedral (1163 AD)
    • Mosque of Córdoba (784 - 987 AD)
    • The Colosseum (70 AD)
    • Dome of the Rock (691 AD)
    • Great Wall (771 - 446 BC)

You may also wish to inform your understanding by reviewing a list of materials technology. Computers have certainly made the job easier, but I would remind you that human beings have been capable of doing maths by hand for a long time. I mean hell... we just had a major film released (Hidden Figures) about some genius women whose mathematics were what allowed us to conduct space missions in the 1950s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeli...als_technology

Some fun things to point out... we've had Concrete since at least 20 BC, Cast Iron since the 3rd century, corrosion-resistant steel since the 4th, etc, etc.

Now to be fair... while we've been able to construct massive structures for a very, very long time our ability to ensure that they are built to withstand the test of time has only improved. New materials have allowed us to exceed height restrictions that would have been impossible even a few hundred years ago. And of course, we have better means to test the area around us to ensure that the foundation is secure across the entire building space; no more Leaning Towers of Pisa.

TLDR of it all: We've been able to build this sort of shit for years. We're just able to do it easier, better, and faster today.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by isuridedes View Post
    Fun fact; the first seismograph was invented in China around 130 AD. They've certainly improved over the years but they've been around for awhile. But let's take a look for a moment at some of the things constructed before the advance of computer simulations and advanced materials (Spoiler: Steel doesn't count; it's been around in various states since 400 BC).

• Hagia Sophia (537 AD)
    • Acropolis of Athens (495 - 429 BC)
    • Notre-Dame Cathedral (1163 AD)
    • Mosque of Córdoba (784 - 987 AD)
    • The Colosseum (70 AD)
    • Dome of the Rock (691 AD)
    • Great Wall (771 - 446 BC)
    They're very nice buildings, do you have any links to how they solved the problems in building them. How did Egyptains make precision cuts in granite for example?

Building on land is different to the challenges of underground so they are separate issues.
    A new problem is geothermal heating.These guys are only 1.3 miles down and they have had to install cooling systems.

Deleted
    I saw this video about the syrian "rebels" underground base. It looks like I could learn a few lessons from them by capturing the local populace and use them to do my construction work. Their tunnels are big enough to drive cars through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4TB9mYtpUI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgGqwAwJL5M
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKrbeFtuk0s

You put the work in foo. No matter how little you do every day, as long as you do something, you can do almost anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    All I ever wanted was my own Burad-Dur (The tower of Sauron).

I feel as though that is really not too much to ask.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

10+ Year Old Account
    Be Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos. Convince the local government that the lair will be good for them and bring much money to their wallets. If that doesn't work then wow them with fancy tech demos that they can't distinguish from magic. Practically get them to pay for the lair.

Spend a weekend in it then abandon it. Never return their phone calls.

????

Repeat in the next town over.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Purchase Skyrim. Download Mods. Profit.