Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Upgrade from 1080 to 1080 ti? Or am I being crazy?

I was randomly up at 4 AM recently and noticed that an EVGA 1080ti FTW 3 on sale for MSRP ($930). I'm currently using a 1080, and playing games on 3440 x 1440. Assassin's creed origins at max settings will usually result around 40-50 FPS.

Do you guys think I should get an upgrade where I can, since it's so hard to get cards at MSRP and I imagine it will only get worse when the 2080s come out? I know the upgrade from 1080 isn't huge, but I thought it might make sense for me to snag an upgrade now.

Let me know what you guys think. I think I can sell the 1080 (zotac amp extreme) for around $600, so the upgrade cost for the GPU will be around $300.

if you have enough money, nothing is crazy.
    wanna buy a gtx 1080 ti? do it
    wanna buy a panda? no problem
    wanna buy the whole country of Greece? why not?

15+ Year Old Account
    There's always a new shiny to be had.

The key thing on graphics/cards to me is to be on the right hand of the downward slope on a bell curve of where the market's sweet spot is.

I can tell you the majority of the market is not pushing 1080 Ti quality cards.

As Deldramar stated there is no safe/logical price point for graphics cards right now. They are all overinflated as far as price goes due to crypto mining.

IGN as an example has been doing their deals of the day on PCs and frequently a $1300 machine has a $900 card in it and you couldn't build the rest of the machine for the difference of $400 if you tried.

My point in that statement is you're better off now buying a new machine than upgrading just a graphics card.

if you do it just buy a pre-built system take the TI from it and put in old 1080 in that new pc.

now you got 2 PCs.

it's just cheaper these days to do that

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by memetootoo View Post
    I was randomly up at 4 AM recently and noticed that an EVGA 1080ti FTW 3 on sale for MSRP ($930). I'm currently using a 1080, and playing games on 3440 x 1440. Assassin's creed origins at max settings will usually result around 40-50 FPS.

Do you guys think I should get an upgrade where I can, since it's so hard to get cards at MSRP and I imagine it will only get worse when the 2080s come out? I know the upgrade from 1080 isn't huge, but I thought it might make sense for me to snag an upgrade now.

Let me know what you guys think. I think I can sell the 1080 (zotac amp extreme) for around $600, so the upgrade cost for the GPU will be around $300.
    A gtx 1080 ti should give you any thing from 10/20 FPS more, but is that worth 930$?. I would wait and see what the next Nvidia series can do, when it comes
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    1080 ti MSRP is $699

Quote Originally Posted by Deldramar View Post
    I would personally hold on to what you have. GPU prices are up right now from the Bitcoin obsession and the 1080 Ti has been on the market for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    There's always a new shiny to be had.

The key thing on graphics/cards to me is to be on the right hand of the downward slope on a bell curve of where the market's sweet spot is.

I can tell you the majority of the market is not pushing 1080 Ti quality cards.

As Deldramar stated there is no safe/logical price point for graphics cards right now. They are all overinflated as far as price goes due to crypto mining.

IGN as an example has been doing their deals of the day on PCs and frequently a $1300 machine has a $900 card in it and you couldn't build the rest of the machine for the difference of $400 if you tried.

My point in that statement is you're better off now buying a new machine than upgrading just a graphics card.
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    A gtx 1080 ti should give you any thing from 10/20 FPS more, but is that worth 930$?. I would wait and see what the next Nvidia series can do, when it comes
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. You guys are totally right, I'm just going to wait a bit longer and see what happens with the next gen. I was just worried that it would be even more expensive and hard to get. Fingers crossed, though!

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. You guys are totally right, I'm just going to wait a bit longer and see what happens with the next gen. I was just worried that it would be even more expensive and hard to get. Fingers crossed, though!
    Might be easy if you're quick on a pre-order. Otherwise i suspect they'll be sold out within a few minutes and have bad stock shortages for a few months.

yes it will be a upgrade, it worth when 2080 are around the corner? nope, better wait. but its your money, it you want to spend nearly 1k bucks to have lower performance than a 600s dollar card that will get out in 3 months or less nobody can stop you

My Advice, Don't..

March 26th or so (don't remember but this month for sure) the new Nvidia 2080 series is likely to be announced and launched soon. So if you want something nice and better.. wait for that and see..

Plus price may drop a little with new releases.

Quote Originally Posted by azkhane View Post
    yes it will be a upgrade, it worth when 2080 are around the corner? nope, better wait. but its your money, it you want to spend nearly 1k bucks to have lower performance than a 600s dollar card that will get out in 3 months or less nobody can stop you
    Nvidia already said, no next gen until q3/q4 2018. We already know the next gen gamer cards will still be running GDDR5X/potentially GDDR6 memory, no HBM/HBM2 for gamer cards, so they will not be that much faster than current gen. You'll probably see a 20% increase in speeds, and thats about it. From my understanding, we are stressing GDDRX limits, and HBM is still way to expensive for mass production.

You'll probably see cards like the 2050 use GDDR5, 2060 use GDDR5X, along with the 2070, 2080 and 2080ti, will probably get GDDR6.
    Last edited by Illuman; 2018-03-11 at 11:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ancient One View Post
    if you have enough money, nothing is crazy.
    wanna buy a gtx 1080 ti? do it
    wanna buy a panda? no problem
    wanna buy the whole country of Greece? why not?
    Lol whatever. Wasting money for the sake of wasting it is pretty crazy.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by S7orm View Post
    1080 ti MSRP is $699
    The only way you're getting MSRP is through Nvidia and they go OOS insanely fast due to stock trackers. The rest of the market is essentially a game of how high is too high with the answer being not high enough.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

And here i am thinking about downgrading to a gtx 780 because id make nearly 300 dollars in the process of selling my 1060 lol.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Wait, where are you from? $930 isn't the MSRP in the US, at least.

If you can sell the 1080 for that much, I'd lock that deal in. If you can get a 1080 Ti for $930, again, if it's in America, do so at your own volition. I mean, I got my 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid for $850. =/
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Wait, where are you from? $930 isn't the MSRP in the US, at least.

If you can sell the 1080 for that much, I'd lock that deal in. If you can get a 1080 Ti for $930, again, if it's in America, do so at your own volition. I mean, I got my 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid for $850. =/
    IIRC the MSRP of certain models were bumped up due to ram shortages but I don't know if it has already happened, if it was a rumor or if it only had an impact on certain brands but even so that's not going to tack too much on the cost. That sounds more like Canadian MSRP though where 1080 Ti are somewhere between $1100 - $1300 or more after the price went to shit.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2018-03-11 at 11:28 PM.

I would I think i have the same monitor as you, it requires a lot of power lol. I have the ftw 3 and can run a constant 100 frames (i have it capped

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    The only way you're getting MSRP is through Nvidia and they go OOS insanely fast due to stock trackers. The rest of the market is essentially a game of how high is too high with the answer being not high enough.
    I didn't say you could get a 1080 ti for MSRP, but I stated that the MSRP is $699 and not $930. $930 is the current EVGA price

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    IIRC the MSRP of certain models were bumped up due to ram shortages but I don't know if it has already happened, if it was a rumor or if it only had an impact on certain brands but even so that's not going to tack too much on the cost. That sounds more like Canadian MSRP though where 1080 Ti are somewhere between $1100 - $1300 or more after the price went to shit.
    Ah, that's true! Shit, that is insane. >_< Wasn't the original MSRP like $700?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Ah, that's true! Shit, that is insane. >_< Wasn't the original MSRP like $700?
    I'm not sure what they were since I wasn't in the market when they launched... unfortunately. I scored a GTX 1080 for $730CAD after my 290X workhorse started to show its age especially with my 8700K about a couple weeks ago which I considered a steal in the current market where they still regularly go OOS when $800+.

The initial plan was to get a 1070 Ti Titanium from MSI on an Amazon backorder for $620 but once I realized I had extra spending money after three weeks of waiting I just cancelled the order and pulled that trigger which also gave me peace of mind since I was frantically checking about a half dozen sites every half hour on top of watching out for stock alerts all day every day...

Turned around and sold the 290X for $300 though so I can both hate and thank the messed up GPU market.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2018-03-12 at 01:17 AM.