Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I have no idea who tf wrote that article, but that's one of the dumbest things I've ever read

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Should we just get rid of humanities?
    I would toss them as majors, but keep them as GE and minors. I think certain areas like physical anthropology deserve to be grouped with STEM, since it's objective.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    It appears that your keyboard caps-lock may be broken. I recommended the Logitech G510 keyboard, great for work and gaming.

As to the substance of your actual comment, whatever. Could you share with us which Humanities course you are currently studying or have already completed comrade?
    Do you count pure mathematics? Or my undergrad, which was a double major in maths and astrophysics. Or maths and statistics, depending which certificate you look at... my university was dumb.

P.S. Logitech is overrated, I'm a Ducky man
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    What ones have you taken?
    According to people like him education is a left wing mass conspiracy meant to brainwash young people into liberals or else they get thrown in them FEMA re-education camps. Of course they either don't remember being a teenager or aren't parents because by god don't we wish teenagers were that good at doing what they are told.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    What ones have you taken?
    I'm a white cis gender male conservative and a staunch post-modern anti-feminist, there is no way in hell I'd be allowed to attend a humanities course.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Do you count pure mathematics? Or my undergrad, which was a double major in maths and astrophysics. Or maths and statistics, depending which certificate you look at... my university was dumb.

P.S. Logitech is overrated, I'm a Ducky man
    See, in my naivete I'd have thought mathematics would be a science degree and not humanities.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    People who don't understand the point of the humanities are the people who need courses in them the most.
    This, 100%. Note that STEM fields have no purpose, otherwise, unless someone is creating something like Skynet.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

5+ Year Old Account
    There is no case for the Humanities in modern capitalist society, save for teaching the uber-rich which long-dead philosopher's conceptions of world peace are most palatable (see: Plato, Kant, etc.). Corporate PR informs us as to what is suitable for living today, STEM & Business/Marketing serve to further us toward a completely mechanized society, and Trades represent the last bastion of menial labor unable to be done by machines until that day finally comes. The modern state does not care why you live, so long as you live long enough for them to turn a profit.
    Owner & Operator of The Barrens Grind Support Group
    Survivor of Early TBC Ganklethorn Vale
    Horde Till I Die

10+ Year Old Account
    You can be a STEMlord and appreciate the humanities at the same time.

Like Im a GIS loving, statistics using nerd but history is my other true love. American Civil War and late Roman Repub / Early Roman Empire is my thing. To that end, understanding history can influence a lot of today's policy, and misunderstanding it leads to a lot of dumb shit.

See, in my naivete I'd have thought mathematics would be a science degree and not humanities.
    Math was in the college in my university along with Physics, Chemistry, et al, and the degree would have been Bachelor of Science.

If you don't want to do Humanities, then why not just get a technical degree?

Oh you want a "real" degree? well then.....
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Is that an american thing? Having to take courses unrelated to your degree?

Cause i have a bachelors in Archaeology and i dont recall taking courses unrelated to that theme
    It depends. I understand in the USA it's typical to major in one thing and do a minor in another. In the UK there are some degrees that cover two fields as well, such as a geography/archeology degree or something combined with an IT degree. I suppose if you're doing it purely to develop employable skills then it's not a bad option. I saw them being promoted to people who didn't do quite so well in A-levels academically but had the potential for further learning.

I did a geography degree in the UK for example, but it was very diverse and included some IT, geology, urban development and even agriculture. Degree modules can be very diverse but I assume USA course are different in structure.
    Last edited by Ozyorkbourne; 2018-03-12 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    You can be a STEMlord and appreciate the humanities at the same time.
    Most of the best scientists in history were also philosophers and observers of humanity (with some exceptions).

So, yes, you can.

5+ Year Old Account
    I'm a white cis gender male conservative and a staunch post-modern anti-feminist, there is no way in hell I'd be allowed to attend a humanities course.
    You would be surprised. You just need to find the right profs. A number of my Political Philosophy courses had a few right-wing profs teaching them, talking highly about Plato, Aristotle, Alasdair MacIntyre, George Grant, etc. One of them really opened my eyes up to the notion that you don't have to just accept the liberal zeitgeist of our times.
    Owner & Operator of The Barrens Grind Support Group
    Survivor of Early TBC Ganklethorn Vale
    Horde Till I Die

Quote Originally Posted by Azelas View Post
    I have no idea who tf wrote that article, but that's one of the dumbest things I've ever read
    Maybe they should go study literature so they can write something compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyorkbourne View Post
    It depends. I understand in the USA it's typical to major in one thing and do a minor in another. In the UK there are some degrees that cover two fields as well, such as a geography/archeology degree or something combined with an IT degree. I suppose if you're doing it purely to develop employable skills then it's not a bad option. I saw them being promoted to people who didn't do quite so well in A-levels academically but had the potential for further learning.
    We had to take a freshman level class in a few unrelated fields (that's typical). It's not like they make you go fully into unrelated fields.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post
    If you don't want to do Humanities, then why not just get a technical degree?

Oh you want a "real" degree? well then.....
    I think the problem is Universities aren't broad enough, so you're forced to take humanities that you end up doing poorly in. Like why the f should I take language when I suck at languages and studies show the best time to learn is elementary / middle school?

Like fuck, Id rather have studied Mexican history or Roman history than take Spanish / Latin.

Really? Shit, news to me. So much for that Australian edumacation huh?

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. You realise you just said you're post-modern, right?

Maybe you should consider that humanities course after all. Particularly English.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Is that an american thing? Having to take courses unrelated to your degree?

Cause i have a bachelors in Archaeology and i dont recall taking courses unrelated to that theme
    Yeah. In the UK my law degree was laser focused. Nothing but legal stuff. In the US, my college classes are all over the place. It's more like high school. They make you take a language, a sport/physical thing, and a bunch of other random crap. A semester could easily be a biology class, a psych class, a history class, a language class, and a math class. It's a little odd but it definitely gives you a more rounded education and a better foundation. In the upper two years it gets a bit more focused.

So none, you could've just said none. Why the victim angle? I'm a straight white cis male with some conservative views and I'm anti modern feminism and none of those qualities were ever even discussed.

So basically you have no experience and nothing but lies, misinformation and bias to support your view.

get rid of humanities?

i see less value in economics and the absurdity of certain schools of economists, so how about we get rid of them? are they more accurate than astrologers at their predictions? i can't tell

humanities is usually the only thing that prevents someone from being yet another 'educated idiot'