Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    Ive had 2 experiences with AMD rigs and I can tell you ill never buy a single one of their products again. Straight garbage
    Ive had 3 experiences with Intel rigs and I can tell you ill never buy a single one of their products again. Straight garbage

7+ Year Old Account
    i like nvidia the gforce experience is so nice unlike amd i dont have to desktart my damn desktop on update.
    Last edited by Dartz1979; 2018-03-12 at 03:14 AM.
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    This is very relevant to this topic.
    Without AMD making GPU's, what you are seeing now for cards would be normal or probably even cheap. We need competition to keep prices in check. How likely would it be for Intel to have released Coffee Lake at the current prices with the number of cores that we are seeing if AMD hadn't released Ryzen at the start of the year?

This move is extremely bad for competition. You should be angry whether you are an AMD or NVidia owner because even if you don't like AMD cards, having them around ensures that you can buy Nvidia cards at a cheaper price. The only reason for Nvidia to do this is because they believe it will increase their market share and reduce AMD's market share.

- - - Updated - - -

Ive had 2 experiences with AMD rigs and I can tell you ill never buy a single one of their products again. Straight garbage
    AMD don't make the full "rig". AMD only make the CPU and possibly the GPU. I could take a RoG AMD board and a cheap Intel entry level board and then complain when the caps pop on my Intel board and say that Intel are garbage. CPU's almost never fail. It's the rest of the rig that is more problematic.

That aside, it doesn't really matter if you hate AMD because without them you will end up in a situation like Intel vs Bulldozer where Intel could charge whatever they liked and people would just need to suck it up. Anything that lessens your options should be a problem. I have 3 PC's at the house and 2 laptops with Nvidia cards and 1 PC with an AMD card. I normally buy the best bang for buck, regardless of brand. This article has made me hesitant to buy NVidia again. I almost never buy the fastest cards so it won't affect me much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Except it's not Nvidia's brand, it's the manufacturer's brand. It also bars the company from using that brand for other companies. Asus for example has Republic of Gamer or ROG as their gaming brand. That is Asus's brand that they created. GeForce is the brand Nvidia created for their gaming brand. Branding means a lot and it also means that they cannot create another gaming brand too because it's a blanket non singular statement. It also would cost millions to market a new brand. Forcing manufacturers to do something or they suffer a big disadvantage is illegal.
    I would love the manufacturers to create a brand new brand and stick the Nvidia cards in that so that it backfires. I doubt it will happen but somehow a signal needs to be sent back to Nvidia to say that this is not Ok.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't this overstating the changes that the GPP program will do? In the case of Gigabyte all they need to do is create two separate brands for each respective GPU, Aorus for Nvidia and say Windforce for AMD. No one realistically buys a GPU based on what brand tag the company puts it with.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    In the case of Gigabyte all they need to do is create two separate brands for each respective GPU, Aorus for Nvidia and say Windforce for AMD. No one realistically buys a GPU based on what brand tag the company puts it with.
    exactly .

Deleted
    Isn't this overstating the changes that the GPP program will do? In the case of Gigabyte all they need to do is create two separate brands for each respective GPU, Aorus for Nvidia and say Windforce for AMD. No one realistically buys a GPU based on what brand tag the company puts it with.
    Yeah, they do. If people didn't do that there wouldn't be much of a reason to make these brands, to market them as heavily as they do to begin with. Majority of customers are clueless, they buy anything that sounds "good" or "cool" or they seen add of "X gaming brand" during tournament of their favorite game. People who actually do research their purchases and buy "what is best bang for my buck" are minority - if that was not the case companies could not get away with a lot of shit they do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    Yeah, they do. If people didn't do that there wouldn't be much of a reason to make these brands, to market them as heavily as they do to begin with. Majority of customers are clueless, they buy anything that sounds "good" or "cool" or they seen add of "X gaming brand" during tournament of their favorite game. People who actually do research their purchases and buy "what is best bang for my buck" are minority - if that was not the case companies could not get away with a lot of shit they do.
    How many people do you think seriously care if the card they are buying is called "Republic of Gamers Mars" or "Republic of Gamers Ares", both just need to be marketed as top end gaming brands. Gigabyte just released the Aorus brand last year, which now serves as their gaming flagship. Previously the flagship was Windforce, but the change in name has hardly hurt them any, if anything the re-branding seems to have been a positive. All they have to do, is to have a separate gaming "kewl" name for AMD and Nvidia. Nobody is seriously not going to buy a card just because it lakes a word like Strix in the title. Which probably won't happen anyway, as Asus uses Strix for their own products as well, I'd imagine they would just create another name for Nvidia cards going forward.
    Last edited by Zenny; 2018-03-12 at 09:59 AM.

Deleted
    How many people do you think seriously care if the card they are buying is called "Republic of Gamers Mars" or "Republic of Gamers Ares", both just need to be marketed as top end gaming brands. Gigabyte just released the Aorus brand last year, which now serves as their gaming flagship. Previously the flagship was Windforce, but the change in name has hardly hurt them any, if anything the re-branding seems to have been a positive. All companies to do if to have a separate gaming "kewl" name for AMD and Nvidia. Nobody is seriously not going to buy a card just because it lakes a word like Strix in the title. Which probably won't happen anyway, as Asus uses Strix for their own products as well, I'd imagine they would just create another name for Nvidia cards going forward.
    Windforce was never gaming brand name - it was and is name of their cooling solution. Gaming brands sell better than non gaming brands - fact. Marketing new brand costs money - also fact. And yes people are more likely to buy "Asus Strix" or w/e is the recognizable name of their products instead of one with generic name in hope that it is better quality/cooling/performance/idkitsgamingsoitsbetter. You seem to assume consumers are smart - they aren't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    Windforce was never gaming brand name - it was and is name of their cooling solution. Gaming brands sell better than non gaming brands - fact. Marketing new brand costs money - also fact. And yes people are more likely to buy "Asus Strix" or w/e is the recognizable name of their products instead of one with generic name in hope that it is better quality/cooling/performance/idkitsgamingsoitsbetter. You seem to assume consumers are smart - they aren't.
    The fact remains that Gigabyte changed the name of the top end gaming product, and no one seemed to bat a eye. ASUS is even easier, RoG is universal, all you need to do is slap some generic cool sounding name after that and you have your GPU gaming brand. Most casual gamers are brand loyal, not marketing gimmick loyal. They want the top end ASUS card, doesn't matter what it is called.

15+ Year Old Account
    Actually they can't do this.
    That's the point of the programme, if they DO create an AMD and nVidia segragation into "Brand lines" they are still NOT allowed to so much as even say the word game or show a picture of a game or w/e when advertizing the brand of the competition.

They would have to market all AMD GPUs as f.ex. "Compute Cards only that can do other things" but never specifying what that other thing is because it'd mean violating the GPP rules and thus creating a situation we've been in before with Intel.

This whole GPP is a farce and it's (in Europe deffo and likely the rest of the world as well) illegal as you cannot discriminate like that to DIRECTLY hamper competition progress by offering "incentives" especially when you're the dominant party.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

guess thats just on you then, ive been using AMD GPUs since they were ATI, never had any issues with them, i opted for amd mostly because their gpus used to be cheaper for not much of a performace drop, and to me as a student with limited budget means a lot, used to have an amd GPU till recently, that i have been using for over 10 years, had no issues with it, the only reason i swapped to intel was because FX chips werent the best and ryzen wasnt out yet, i am going to a ryzen PC this year once the 2nd gen ryzens are out, as i personaly know a few people who use ryzens for over a year now and are super satisfied with them

OT: a competetive market is good for the consumer, because we dont want Nvidia to become what intel was in the last few years, shipping new CPUs every year with little to no improvement in the chips themselves,
    Last edited by valky94; 2018-03-12 at 10:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Actually they can't do this.
    That's the point of the programme, if they DO create an AMD and nVidia segragation into "Brand lines" they are still NOT allowed to so much as even say the word game or show a picture of a game or w/e when advertizing the brand of the competition.

They would have to market all AMD GPUs as f.ex. "Compute Cards only that can do other things" but never specifying what that other thing is because it'd mean violating the GPP rules and thus creating a situation we've been in before with Intel.

This whole GPP is a farce and it's (in Europe deffo and likely the rest of the world as well) illegal as you cannot discriminate like that to DIRECTLY hamper competition progress by offering "incentives" especially when you're the dominant party.
    I've heard conflicting information, for example the following article states that based on their research you can still have separate gaming brands:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia-gefo...ram-amd-impact

Graphics card companies can then have as many brands as they like, so long as they are separated along green and red boundaries. That means Asus could have a Republic of Gamers Mars brand, which only sells Nvidia, but also a Republic of Gamers Ares brand that is exclusively AMD-based. GPP isn’t going to stop any company from selling AMD GPUs as specifically gaming graphics cards.
    Which also matches the information Nvidia has directly put on their blog. Why knows, they could be wrong, but based on the information we have currently no confirmation either way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    I never really understood loyality to companies that really only care about indiviuals because they buy shit from them. Both of these companies will take full advantage of you for your pocketbook. So who cares. I consider them all greedy as shit. I just do my research and buy what makes the most sense on my budget. Pretty simple.
    Pretty much this.

My preference for Nvidia cards stems from their drivers being more stable and having less quirks. The moment AMD cards one-up them in that department, I'd just as happily buy theirs.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2018-03-12 at 11:14 AM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've heard conflicting information, for example the following article states that based on their research you can still have separate gaming brands:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia-gefo...ram-amd-impact

Which also matches the information Nvidia has directly put on their blog. Why knows, they could be wrong, but based on the information we have currently no confirmation either way.
    Currently the story has been originally written by and answered to Kyle Bennett from HardOCP.
    This guy is known as an asshole in the community but will not yield in terms of "Promoting one over the other" such as Linus/JayzTwoCents does.

His original statement includes the fact that the partners he approached are not willing to answer on the record (who they are and what they do) in fear of reprisal from nVidia because it's probably illegal.

If the matter were the case that the only difference would be "Republic of Rebels" being AMD and "Republic of The First Order" being nVidia (SEE WUT I DID THAR?! ) and a new segregation between lines was everything by simply making 1 brand A and the other brand B without impact then these companies would've readily admitted as such as there'd be no fear of reprisal.

At this point in time you have to assume the entire story and the fact that nothing has come out of either nVidia nor their AIBs regarding their "transparency" I'd be willing to believe HardOCP over PCGamesN ... especially considering the fact of actual history between sites and their target audience.

I'm going to assume that PCGamesN's "digging" is honestly purely based on assumption rather than fact ... but we'll see won't we?
    It's already making heavy Tech Community headlines so we should have a clearer answer in less than a week, if not ... well you have your answer then I think.

I'm of course hoping this has all been blown up and the AIBs misconstrued nVidia's meaning with the programme but I honestly highly doubt that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Pretty much this.

My preference for Nvidia cards stems from their drivers being more stable and having less quirks. The moment AMD cards one-up them in that department, I'd just as happily buy theirs.
    You must have been living under a rock for several years then because if you are talking about driver issues ... it's not been good to nVidia at all.
    AMD's drivers are actually more stable and have considerably less issues for quite a long time now.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Pretty much this.

Bullshit, along with everyone else that uses this throwaway excuse everywhere. You want to buy Nvidia cards, fine, but don't justify that with non-existent problems.

I've had more issues with Nvidia drivers than AMD drivers in all of my years of using both companies GPUs tbh, but I don't use that as an excuse to choose one over the other and just work through the problems or roll back the drivers.

Only issue I had with an AMD card was a DoA Sapphire 280X which got promptly solved with an RMA. "OMG, never buying Sapphire products ever again!" lol

Deleted
    The fact remains that Gigabyte changed the name of the top end gaming product, and no one seemed to bat a eye. ASUS is even easier, RoG is universal, all you need to do is slap some generic cool sounding name after that and you have your GPU gaming brand. Most casual gamers are brand loyal, not marketing gimmick loyal. They want the top end ASUS card, doesn't matter what it is called.
    Exactly they want what they think is the best ASUS card and they WILL associate certain branding with what they want. It is dumb I know it is, you know it is but they don't know it because average consumer is in fact dumb.

Sure if, say Asus, is allowed to do for example "RoG X Strix" for nvidia and "RoG Y Strix" for amd it would be none issue. It would be however if nvidia demanded that only their cards can be sold under RoG anything name. Worse yet. It would be even bigger issue if nvidia upped prices for certain cards manufacturers if they sold cards other than nvidia based ones.

This is something that alot of big Companies have attempted before to completely elminate competition. This can backfire on Nvidia quite hard if all the other big ones basically says fuck you to Nvidia and Works With something else.

As an example, Sony tried to do this With 1 one of the largest retailers in Europe several years ago where they wanted better Returns on their Products and didnt want that retailer to have anything to do With another competitor of Sony. If the retailer didnt do what Sony wanted then Sony threatened With pulling all their Products back.
    What Sony didnt realise back then was that the retailer was also the biggest moneymaker for Sony in Europe so Guess what happened when the retailer just said "Ok, good Luck" and Sony then pulled back Products.
    The profit for Sony in Europe fell With like 80% wich in the end resulted in Sony coming back begging to be back in the retailers stores.
    This is something that can happen With Nvidia if Nvidia thinks that they are invincible pulling off stunts like this. All the different brands pay alot of attention to eachother so if 1 big one is saying fuck you others might have more incentive to follow in their shoes as even though they are competitors on the market, their goal in the end is the same. And if they are all hurt by this the best way to make Nvidia Cave in on this change is to "work" together.

MS and Sony went with AMD, maybe nVIDIA is salty about that. However they are exclusively with Nintendo and the Switch is not going to slow down any time soon so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    Bullshit, along with everyone else that uses this throwaway excuse everywhere. You want to buy Nvidia cards, fine, but don't justify that with non-existent problems.

I've had more issues with Nvidia drivers than AMD drivers in all of my years of using both companies GPUs tbh, but I don't use that as an excuse to choose one over the other and just work through the problems or roll back the drivers.

Only issue I had with an AMD card was a DoA Sapphire 280X which got promptly solved with an RMA. "OMG, never buying Sapphire products ever again!" lol
    I would say the driver issue has in large been fixed. But when it was bad, and yeah it was one pretty bad, a reputation was earned and that can take time to mend with some people. You may have instantly gotten over it or not even bothered by it. Others might feel differently and it is well within their rights to do so. Most people will fall somewhere between. I just don't see any real reason to white knight the situation. It is just video cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    I would say the driver issue has in large been fixed. But when it was bad, and yeah it was one pretty bad, a reputation was earned and that can take time to mend with some people. You may have instantly gotten over it or not even bothered by it. Others might feel differently and it is well within their rights to do so. Most people will fall somewhere between. I just don't see any real reason to white knight the situation. It is just video cards.
    I know there are issues most can't work with but fuck, man, "lul AMD drivers" is the single most overused excuse to not buy the brand that I see parroted in many places. I really don't care what people buy, hell, I'm using a 1070 myself and will get the new version this year as well, but still tiring to constantly see that excuse.