Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    TN is a superior gaming panel than VA, that isnt up for debate its pixel response times cannot be matched by VA. Every single overwatch pro uses a TN panel, there is a reason for this.
    Professional gamers yes, not 99,9% of the people posting on fora such as these.
    VA panels, barring speed, are better than TN in pretty much anything but pixel response times.

Or are you claiming that everyone is a pro and should be going for TN if they so much as even touch anything FPS related?
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

[QUOTE=Fascinate;49045507]
    Quote Originally Posted by ossyc View Post

It is absolutely jaggy once you see a 24" at 1440....
    True that's better, image wise
    Last edited by ossyc; 2018-03-12 at 09:26 PM.

I’ve never had a single issue watching tv/movies on my 144hz screen...

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    I’ve never had a single issue watching tv/movies on my 144hz screen...
    Thats because you havent seen a properly done FALD or OLED movie experience

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Professional gamers yes, not 99,9% of the people posting on fora such as these.
    VA panels, barring speed, are better than TN in pretty much anything but pixel response times.

Or are you claiming that everyone is a pro and should be going for TN if they so much as even touch anything FPS related?
    I personally dont watch movies or tv shows on my monitor, i have a fald tv for that. If you are the type who is ok with a subpar experience for both a VA is a perfectly adequate tradeoff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh almost every (good) led tv set on the market has fald, you seem to be a bit behind on your TV stuff artorius Again FALD isnt just for contrast, its benefits are just as much for panel uniformity. This is the reason you do not want a 120/144hz monitor as a movie watching device, they just aren't manufactured with that as a priority.
    Let's see how almost every single good "led" TV on the market has FALD, and how 120Hz isn't a priority:

Now let's count.

All Samsung high-end models are 120Hz but none of them are FALD.

All LG UHD LCD TVs are 120Hz, but none of them are FALD. (And they're also IPS crap on top of that).

Sony has 3 FALD models, and 6 120Hz models.

TCL has 1 FALD model, and no 120Hz model.

Vizio is literally the only one that has FALD in all their UHD lines, however their best line is 120Hz while the cheaper ones are 60Hz.

There are TVs with FALD out there, but with current technology you can get away without it just fine. High end Samsung models top contrast at around 7000:1, Sony best performing VA FALD does it at 11000:1.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2018-03-13 at 01:33 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I personally dont watch movies or tv shows on my monitor, i have a fald tv for that. If you are the type who is ok with a subpar experience for both a VA is a perfectly adequate tradeoff.
    There's a difference between a "Subpar" experience and something that is affordable and decent.

Just because I don't drive a Lamborghini Diablo doesn't make everything else I drive "A subpar experience".
    That's a little crooked of a logical standpoint there.

Do you then own a separate monitor for each game, movie and other category depending on what you do with it?
    Like an IPS screen properly calibrated for Splatoon and another TN panel for your professional gaming career in Overwatch along side an OLED TV panel for Star Trek Discovery and an IPS TV panel for any Earth Based movie/series?

You are exaggerating here.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."

Movies and TV are fine on a monitor. Sometimes I can't be bothered going upstairs to watch TV, doesn't compare to my TV but I'm not gonna knock someone for doing that.

I have an LG OLED HDR for my PS4 and Netflix

Samsung TV's are not good TV's artorius lol. They have the best colors on the market because of their leading technology in quantum dots, but the most important aspect (this has been done scientifically) is contrast ratios and panel uniformity. OLED and FALD tv's lead that list substantially, vizio p series, TCL P series, sony x900e.

Im gonna call you out here and say you are a bit of a samsung fanboy. Im gonna let you in on a bit of a secret, samsung knows OLED is the future, the reason they have not dove in head first is they are trying to convince consumers that their QLED monitors are superior because of profit margins. Its only a matter of time before samsung caves to OLED, they simply cannot compete with their led lit sets, consumers are getting smarter.

Samsung TV's are not good TV's artorius lol. They have the best colors on the market because of their leading technology in quantum dots, but the most important aspect (this has been done scientifically) is contrast ratios and panel uniformity. OLED and FALD tv's lead that list substantially, vizio p series, TCL P series, sony x900e.

Im gonna call you out here and say you are a bit of a samsung fanboy. Im gonna let you in on a bit of a secret, samsung knows OLED is the future, the reason they have not dove in head first is they are trying to convince consumers that their QLED monitors are superior because of profit margins. Its only a matter of time before samsung caves to OLED, they simply cannot compete with their led lit sets, consumers are getting smarter.
    My mate has a Samusng QLED 2018 model, it rocks. It's comparable to mine in quality

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    There's a difference between a "Subpar" experience and something that is affordable and decent.

Just because I don't drive a Lamborghini Diablo doesn't make everything else I drive "A subpar experience".
    That's a little crooked of a logical standpoint there.

Do you then own a separate monitor for each game, movie and other category depending on what you do with it?
    Like an IPS screen properly calibrated for Splatoon and another TN panel for your professional gaming career in Overwatch along side an OLED TV panel for Star Trek Discovery and an IPS TV panel for any Earth Based movie/series?

You are exaggerating here.
    Bro have you seen dell's 1440p TN in person? Aside from viewing angle it matches or beats many ips panels in color reproduction and beats both IPS and VA in the spot it matters most, as a gaming monitor lol.

Its just incredibly odd to me that people still think panel type has any relevance to how good the colors can look, those things come down to phosphurs and bit depth and recently quantum dots.

This will be my last post in this thread cause honestly i have better things to do than educate people who are so unwilling to listen to someone who has done more research on the topic than they have.

Looking at gaming monitors specifically, I seem to see 3 options

60hz
    144hz
    165hz

120hz monitors for gaming seem to be really hard to come by, TV's or none gaming monitors tend to have slow response times which aren't ideal for fps games and racing sims. It's quite a tricky compromise to find since the price starts shooting up exponentially as soon as you want premium features. I have no idea what "FALD" is and some of the brightness terminology has going straight over my head since I have no point of reference to put it into context.

Keep it going though, interesting discussion even if you are having an argument.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Bro have you seen dell's 1440p TN in person? Aside from viewing angle it matches or beats many ips panels in color reproduction and beats both IPS and VA in the spot it matters most, as a gaming monitor lol.

Its just incredibly odd to me that people still think panel type has any relevance to how good the colors can look, those things come down to phosphurs and bit depth and recently quantum dots.

This will be my last post in this thread cause honestly i have better things to do than educate people who are so unwilling to listen to someone who has done more research on the topic than they have.
    The image quality on My Acer x34 3440x1440 wipes the floor with that - don't kid yourself bro

15+ Year Old Account

That is funny considering that you've not read anything I've posted prior regarding monitors.
    Especially in the example you are advocating, the S2716DG.

That said Dell calibrates it's colours to a proper point, however it's uniformity is actually an issue.
    If they were to introduce a VA panel doing the exact same the VA panel would be a better fit for most people because of it's advantages over TN.

Extreme enthusiasts who want to only FPS game and squeeze out every nano second are better off with TN panels, people that play other games as well are better off with the same level of VA panel type/quality.

It's hilarious though that you mention yourself that panel type matters not but then previously say it does, but what do I know... I apparently know nothing whilst I'm scolded by people for saying that your specific example monitors are good.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Lol you are seriously lost. it's just like with your big AMD Ryzen rampage. Ryzen was the mother of all mothers and now you are using Intel again.

Only the things you think are good, are good enough. It's just like watching a little child not getting his will
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Lol you are seriously lost. it's just like with your big AMD Ryzen rampage. Ryzen was the mother of all mothers and now you are using Intel again.

Only the things you think are good, are good enough. It's just like watching a little child not getting his will
    ignore him dude, Samsung TVs rock

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think any one on this forum takes him serious anymore after his AMD Ryzen rampage
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Ok i lied, last post lol.

I did an incredible amount of research before i bought my s2417dg, it easily has the least amount of panel uniformity issues/backlight bleed than monitors costing 2x as much. Feel free to browse this thread: (generally considered one of the best monitors out there, 144hz, gsync, 1440p, IPS)
    http://www.overclock.net/forum/44-mo...show-pics.html

The thread is filled with reports of backlight bleed/panel uniformity issues. To the point people have referred to this as taking the "XB271 panel lottery" trip.

Now browse this thread:
    http://www.overclock.net/forum/44-mo...l-s2417dg.html

The worst complaint about this monitor is its calibration for gamma out of the factory isnt as good as many VA panels. This can be fixed in nvidia software but whats funny also is many of the complaints about gamma in this thread is people confusing low bitrate video or images for poor gamma.

All said and done the dell gsync monitors is really the best you can get currently for a gaming monitor. On top of that it is one of the cheapest gsync monitors currently available on the market, with the best warranty (dell will SEND you a monitor before you send yours back if you did not like the one you received) and the best quality control in the business, dell has done this longer than any of them.

Again if you are the sort of person who does both watch movies and game on a monitor a VA is a solid compromise. If you game on your monitor and have a proper TV for your movies then the dell is currently the best choice as a gaming only solution.

- - - Updated - - -

Some people do put vibrancy over contrast/uniformity for a TV set (this is where samsung shines, their quantum dots), but most will prefer and OLED in a blind side by side test. Samsung currently does not dabble in OLED but i will bet any amount of money they will have to soon, or risk losing out to LG and Sony's superior OLED sets.

Ok i lied, last post lol.

I did an incredible amount of research before i bought my s2417dg, it easily has the least amount of panel uniformity issues/backlight bleed than monitors costing 2x as much. Feel free to browse this thread: (generally considered one of the best monitors out there, 144hz, gsync, 1440p, IPS)
    http://www.overclock.net/forum/44-mo...show-pics.html

The thread is filled with reports of backlight bleed/panel uniformity issues. To the point people have referred to this as taking the "XB271 panel lottery" trip.

Now browse this thread:
    http://www.overclock.net/forum/44-mo...l-s2417dg.html

The worst complaint about this monitor is its calibration for gamma out of the factory isnt as good as many VA panels. This can be fixed in nvidia software but whats funny also is many of the complaints about gamma in this thread is people confusing low bitrate video or images for poor gamma.

All said and done the dell gsync monitors is really the best you can get currently for a gaming monitor. On top of that it is one of the cheapest gsync monitors currently available on the market, with the best warranty (dell will SEND you a monitor before you send yours back if you did not like the one you received) and the best quality control in the business, dell has done this longer than any of them.

Again if you are the sort of person who does both watch movies and game on a monitor a VA is a solid compromise. If you game on your monitor and have a proper TV for your movies then the dell is currently the best choice as a gaming only solution.

- - - Updated - - -

Some people do put vibrancy over contrast/uniformity for a TV set (this is where samsung shines, their quantum dots), but most will prefer and OLED in a blind side by side test. Samsung currently does not dabble in OLED but i will bet any amount of money they will have to soon, or risk losing out to LG and Sony's superior OLED sets.
    Dude seriously, who cares? I have an OLED. I still highly rate Samsung TVs.. oh and I wouldn't touch Dell with a shitty stick, how about that?
    Last edited by ossyc; 2018-03-12 at 10:09 PM.

Like i said, some people do prefer the vibrant colors samsung is able to achieve with their quantum dots. Problem is that they cannot compete currently in the more important aspect of movie watching which is contrast and panel uniformity. OLED has panel uniformity issues but its a lot less annoying/noticeable than what you get on LED tv's. I am too lazy to find the study but contrast/uniformity easily ranked #1 in a blind test on which aspect of a TV is most important, this is why samsung will eventually cave to OLED as OLED prices come down they will make the switch.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_s2716dg.htm

Same panel just 27" (the one I mentioned previously).
    Same calibration and methods of Dell between S2417DG and S2716DG, minor issues arise but they are there, including panel uniformity.

However the wording of the last paragraph in your last post changed CONSIDERABLY from your previous post, which after all this time you still don't seem to grasp as being important.

But you are also not counting the types of games played, in which case TN isn't necessarily better, I'd prefer the equivalent VA panel for a range of things than a TN panel for JUST FPS gaming (or twitch SC2 gaming) because the properties are better suited for such.

The Dell UltraSharp U2711 is still heralded, even though it's old and "slow" for it's 10-bit connection and colour showing (provided it's calibrated).
    Just because something is old or a specific type doesn't make it bad or the best, it depends and as an all-rounder a VA panel screen (assuming equal quality) is better than TN.