Poll: Do you want to live forever choose?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Live forever but there’s a catch.

You get two options:

Reverse age. Option. A. Once you’ve reached age 75 or whatever age you like you take a simple growth hormone and it starts a process for which you will grow younger at the same pace as you are now only the other direction All the way unless you are injected with a anti hormone. Otherwise you would keep growing younger until you shrank and desolved into goo.

Artificial Womb. Option. B. You go into an incubator that mimics all the conditions that went into your birth except for a few details isolated in the process to keep you, you. However everything else is rebuilt, when you come out you are in premium condition forever. You’re stronger, faster and smarter than you ever been, but to maintain this superior state you can no longer eat regular food. No no you couldn’t eat enough energy before your organs burst to maintain this new body. You have to eat special diet of super food. Failure to do so and your new body will fall apart faster than you did previously with more pain. Oh and the food you need isn’t cheap.

So which would you choose?

Do you want to live forever for a price?
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2018-03-12 at 10:03 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I eat crap food anyways. So it's all good to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    doesn't sound like your living forever, just maybe, twice as long

and that second half is REALLY shitty sounding

Ill take the reverse aging

The artificial womb seems like it'll change me dramatically

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    doesn't sound like your living forever, just maybe, twice as long

and that second half is REALLY shitty sounding
    Great point nothings free.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post

You get two options:

Reverse age. Once you’ve reached age 75 or whatever age you like you take a simple growth hormone and it starts a process for which you will grow younger at the same pace as you are now only the other direction All the way unless you are injected with and anti hormone. Otherwise you would keep growing younger until you shrank and desolved into goo.

Artificial Womb. You go into an incubator that mimics all the conditions that went into your birth except for a few details isolated in the process to keep you, you. However everything else is rebuilt, when you come out you are in premium condition forever. You’re stronger, faster and smarter than you ever been, but to maintain this superior state you can no longer eat regular food. No no you couldn’t eat enough energy before your organs burst to maintain this new body. You have to eat special diet of super food. Failure to do so and your new body will fall apart faster than you did previously with more pain. Oh and the food you need isn’t cheap.

So which would you choose?

Do you want to live forever for a price?
    I like the idea, eternity with a catch. These are a little odd catches, but hey, I'm game.

I gotta go with the forward/backward option. The other one seems like a huge hassle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I like the idea, eternity with a catch. These are a little odd catches, but hey, I'm game.

I gotta go with the forward/backward option. The other one seems like a huge hassle.
    Yep I never liked the idea of utopia. I mean I do but I never felt things work out that way. I also never observed anything free. No right answer but I picked B. And, I could honestly just be chaining myself to a fate much worse.

Hmf...you lose the humanity when death goes away.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    Yep I never liked the idea of utopia. I mean I do but I never felt things work out that way. I also never observed anything free. No right answer but I picked B. And, I could honestly just be chaining myself to a fate much worse.
    Lol, you could.

Have you seen this site before: https://www.futuretimeline.net/

Really interesting stuff on humanities future being played out based on good guesses. "Practical immortality" is at our doorstep, is one of my favorites.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Lol, you could.

Have you seen this site before: https://www.futuretimeline.net/

Really interesting stuff on humanities future being played out based on good guesses. "Practical immortality" is at our doorstep, is one of my favorites.
    Thanks Cubby, I love exploring these ideas. I think on this one I thought about vampires.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Hmf...you lose the humanity when death goes away.
    Says who? Who’s experience do we have to prove such a thing? I get the concept as a philosophic conclusion. But there are no cases to study to prove it.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Being immortal is in and of itself a curse, everyone you get to know and love will eventually die in a *relatively* short space of time, compared to you. Eventually you'll probably just want to die with them but...you can't, no matter what you do you will be around forever, floating in space after the earth gets imploded by the andromeda galaxy in 2.5b years or so. From there you will literally be stuck in the middle of a black hole with nothing but darkness for the rest of your unfortunately miserable existence.
    Until, ofcourse, such a time comes when the next big bang occurs and you can *maybe* start to watch the birth of another universe. Unfortunately for you, you have another 9.5 billion years until you *might* be able to somehow get dragged into the nearest gravity of a galaxy of which you *might* be lucky enough to land on a planet inhabited by "lifeforms" that you can atleast engage in.

So yeah, I'll take neither option

I think I would use the age reversal tech to say forever 10.

After that age is when I started to worry about things, would be nice to maintain a non worry state.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nether. I am already going to exist forever.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    I think I would use the age reversal tech to say forever 10.

After that age is when I started to worry about things, would be nice to maintain a non worry state.
    That's only because you had family to take care of you at that age. You would need them to use the same tech and keep looking after you forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Says who? Who’s experience do we have to prove such a thing? I get the concept as a philosophic conclusion. But there are no cases to study to prove it.
    human beings / homo sapiens by definition are animals, hence losing your humanity.
    though it's more of a 'trans-human' thing, psychologically, at least for a time they would still act human, however biologically at that point you are trans-human.

but heh..semantics.https://www.mmo-champion.com/newreply.php

on topic, i would choose neither, the reverse aging and womb thing both have downsides, as in, i am relying on whatever laws/corporations rulings on if i can continue living at that point, in essence making myself a slave of doing that they want me to do.
    heck no.

either of those options if they had an added bit 'reverse aging to the point you're X age then stops it' or womb but being able to eat whatever (but no physical gains other than stopping aging) would be fine.
    Last edited by Christan; 2018-03-12 at 10:32 PM.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

I would add a fourth option to the poll: "Neither, I don't want to live forever in the first place"

Death is something I would eventually welcome.

10+ Year Old Account
    What? Living forever sounds shit anyway. You'd get fed up of the world before long, if watching everyone you know keep dying around you isn't bad enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Option A is in no way living forever so IMO it is invalidated. Option B doesn't sound that bad because if you truly do live forever you could probably get rich just by putting in the work so the cost of the food wouldn't be an issue unless you couldn't afford it in the first place.