Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Yup a lot of hp and a lot of movesets compare to any bosses in the series. The only boss that come close in term of a lot of different moves and attacks is Raime the Fume Knight.

I personally always like to fight bosses solo the only time I play co op is when I am helping friends me as a phantom or just farming souls and stuff.
    I normally try to play solo and I did most of DSIII solo, But near the end I just said fuck it and Co-Oped.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I normally try to play solo and I did most of DSIII solo, But near the end I just said fuck it and Co-Oped.
    Haha yeah very understandable.

For me personally it's like this, the first time I play a soul game I just go offline mode and pure solo to enjoy lore and areas without any disturbance from invaders or anything like that and also to avoid players messages yeah sometimes they are so useful but sometimes they kinda spoiled it for you. In NG+ I play online this time but still solo the entire game. It's after NG++ or NG+++ I start going co op mode to breeze through areas and bosses.

I still do the pvp awesome club I did it mostly in DSII in the first bridge of the infamous Iron Keep. :P

In DSI Darkroot Woods pvp area, and in DSIII it is the area after you fight Sulyvhan.

Haha yeah very understandable.

For me personally it's like this, the first time I play a soul game I just go offline mode and pure solo to enjoy lore and areas without any disturbance from invaders or anything like that and also to avoid players messages yeah sometimes they are so useful but sometimes they kinda spoiled it for you. In NG+ I play online this time but still solo the entire game. It's after NG++ or NG+++ I start going co op mode to breeze through areas and bosses.

I still do the pvp awesome club I did it mostly in DSII in the first bridge of the infamous Iron Keep. :P

In DSI Darkroot Woods pvp area, and in DSIII it is the area after you fight Sulyvhan.
    I have still yet not really done NG+ in any of the souls games or bloodborne. I feel the scaling just sucks even more so in BB.

Mite do it with the DS remaster tho, considered it with DSIII just so I can run thought the DLC as well.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have still yet not really done NG+ in any of the souls games or bloodborne. I feel the scaling just sucks even more so in BB.

Mite do it with the DS remaster tho, considered it with DSIII just so I can run thought the DLC as well.
    NG+ in most DkS games is only harder in the second half of the game really. Most of the early enemies are still really easy since you have all of your equipment from before. I only played up to NG+3 in DkS2 and I think NG+2 in DkS1 but it was never that bad tbh. In the first game the only fights that got significantly harder were O&S and 4 Kings from what I remember.

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah the only reason for me to do them personally for the trophies/achievements (Got Platinum to all of them except Demon Souls grrrrr).

So unless you are a completionast player like me it's not worth it tbh.

However, DSII has the best NG+ and NG++ experience overall unlike DSIII (which only give you more powerful rings) or any Souls game. In DSII you will see different stuff compare to your previous walkthrough, like different placements of the enemies + new equipments + extra enemies in certain areas. It's funny because for me DSII is the least favorite of the souls series but it had the best replaybility experience to all of the souls series.

Quote Originally Posted by Uoyredrum View Post
    NG+ in most DkS games is only harder in the second half of the game really. Most of the early enemies are still really easy since you have all of your equipment from before. I only played up to NG+3 in DkS2 and I think NG+2 in DkS1 but it was never that bad tbh. In the first game the only fights that got significantly harder were O&S and 4 Kings from what I remember.
    Basically, when the enemies start scaling faster then you do thanks to diminishing returns and soft caps on stats is when the NG+s get hairy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Basically, when the enemies start scaling faster then you do thanks to diminishing returns and soft caps on stats is when the NG+s get hairy.
    Yeah the later ones look pretty hard just based on speed runs I've watched.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah the only reason for me to do them personally for the trophies/achievements (Got Platinum to all of them except Demon Souls grrrrr).

However, DSII has the best NG+ and NG++ experience overall unlike DSIII (which only give you more powerful rings) or any Souls game. In DSII you will see different stuff compare to your previous walkthrough, like different placements of the enemies + new equipments + extra enemies in certain areas. It's funny because for me DSII is the least favorite of the souls series but it had the best replaybility experience to all of the souls series.
    Agreed, I actually enjoyed its NG+ a lot. Also, it had the best pvp IMO.

I wouldn't say they are hard. They require an unprecedented amount of attention that is kinda hard to keep up, and sometimes straight up unfair (looking at you, Belfry Luna dog corner). Some design choices were made deliberately to make your life miserable. Not a lot of games have balls to outright spit in players faces.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uoyredrum View Post

Agreed, I actually enjoyed its NG+ a lot. Also, it had the best pvp IMO.
    Oh yeah haha for sure! I remember using the ring that can hide your weapons from your hand make it invisible to confused the players in pvp.

I want to sit down and play thought DSII again and I have started a new character but for some reason the early area's bore the shit out of me lol. I'm thinking of doing a pure fath build run in both DSII and DSIII.

Kinda want to do a pure faith DSIII with a lighting enchanted sword run.

Love the world setting of both DSI and DSIII but DSII's bores me until after you kill the 4 guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to sit down and play thought DSII again and I have started a new character but for some reason the early area's bore the shit out of me lol. I'm thinking of doing a pure fath build run in both DSII and DSIII.

Love the world setting of both DSI and DSIII but DSII's bores me until after you kill the 4 guys.
    Oh yeah same here it is after the sentinels bosses things start to be fun.

You can also try undying and no rest in bonfire run in DSII. It will profide different awesome experience and you will be rewarded with the invisibility rings which are super duper fun in pvp.

I remember doing these run the first time I was so panicked almost died in the Gutter. But damn the joy after finally get them is so fun.

But yeah in term of replaybility DSII is the best and faith/str build always been my favorite build in all of the souls series. :P

10+ Year Old Account

Dark Souls 2 is a great game, might even by my favorite, but the area design is really flaky. Areas generelly feel really disconnected. Faith is great in DS2 (it's also pretty decent in DS3 - though the problem there is that you need until Irythill before you get a decent offensive spell - Dorhys Gnaw is extremely powerful though as it wrecks the Dancer and many other bosses). Bit annoying farming Sunlight Spear from the Sunbros nowadays if you don't have a friend.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I hid under Midir's belly and stabbed him in the knee to death.

The only thing difficult about that fight is the shit camera. Once you learn not to use it, the fight is a cakewalk. Unnamed King and even Freide were harder.
    Midir moves an insane amount. You can hide under his belly but he will happily charge into nothingness, or breathe fire underneath himself, you can't really stand long underneath him. Even if you cheese him with Toxic Mist, you still need to dodge through many of his attacks while you apply the Mist, and hope he stays in one spot, while running out to dodge the breathes.

I think someone in this thread mentioned hitting his head, which is pretty much the best way to defeat him (if you don't have 30 INT), as he has an insane amount of hitpoints but he takes extra damage, and can get staggered, from hits in the head.

Yup a lot of hp and a lot of movesets compare to any bosses in the series. The only boss that come close in term of a lot of different moves and attacks is Raime the Fume Knight.

I personally always like to fight bosses solo the only time I play co op is when I am helping friends me as a phantom or just farming souls and stuff.
    It might have a relatively higher number of movesets, but it only uses 2 or 3 unless you decide to try and get flashy or dangerous and go for his head.

Just sit directly underneath Midir's belly, between the two back legs. He'll rise up into the air and breath fire directly down. Run away from the fire in the direction of Midir's tail(maybe taking a swipe at it). He'll land and after a moment do a tail swipe while turning towards you. Dodge roll past it and Sprint towards him to get back underneath his hind legs again.

Rinse and repeat until victory.

Every once in awhile he'll do something random, and at some point his life drops low enough where he starts adding in shadow explosions that are so massively telegraphed that you'd have to be asleep in order to get hit.

But mostly it's just running back underneath his belly and swiping at his legs. The only reason the fight gets hard is if you get greedy.

I found Midir to be MUCH easier than Nameless. Any build can easily spank Midir. You need a heavy STR and stamina build to hide behind a shield with Nameless and still have anything left to attack with.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2018-03-13 at 08:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It might have a relatively higher number of movesets, but it only uses 2 or 3 unless you decide to try and get flashy or dangerous and go for his head.

Just sit directly underneath Midir's belly, between the two back legs. He'll rise up into the air and breath fire directly down. Run away from the fire in the direction of Midir's tail(maybe taking a swipe at it). He'll land and after a moment do a tail swipe while turning towards you. Dodge roll past it and Sprint towards him to get back underneath his hind legs again.

Rinse and repeat until victory.

Every once in awhile he'll do something random, and at some point his life drops low enough where he starts adding in shadow explosions that are so massively telegraphed that you'd have to be asleep in order to get hit.

But mostly it's just running back underneath his belly and swiping at his legs. The only reason the fight gets hard is if you get greedy.

I found Midir to be MUCH easier than Nameless. Any build can easily spank Midir. You need a heavy STR and stamina build to hide behind a shield with Nameless and still have anything left to attack with.

Don't forget that Midir sometimes jump back do his charge thingy which can caught you off guard if you are not prepared. Not talking about the flying breathing thingy but the backstep jump and charge attack and his verstaile melee attacks specially phase 1. The funny part is that I find him easier once he started using his dark energy power in phase 2. It's just phase 1 + camera for me that makes him hard.

Nameless King I remember doing him so easily and only using like 1 or 2 estus flasks until I finally defeated him with as I said dragonslayer armor shield and just good old strafing and circling around him until he is dead I was just using the Sunlight straight sword with my faith/str build while the damage was not great I was manage to get a clean kill by chipping on his hp with as I said using only 2 estus flasks which I did in phase 1 only. Nameless King for me is annoying in phase 1 only because of the god damn camera can be a killer sometimes I hated the camera in that phase haha even if you don't use the focus target it can still be so unpredictable and annoying.

In Midir case I rarely see someone who kill him without getting a single hit or only use 1 or 2 estus flasks.

There is this guy who manage to finish all of the Souls series (not BB) without getting a single hit now that is an awesome work require a lot of patience and skills for sure.
    Last edited by Velshin; 2018-03-13 at 08:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is this guy who manage to finish all of the Souls series (not BB) without getting a single hit now that is an awesome work require a lot of patience and skills for sure.
    I just saw this yesterday, all in one sitting, like 9 hours in a row. I don't have the patience nor skill for that, I still often find myself getting greedy. Also the camera monster is probably the hardest boss in Dark Souls. Especially frustrating against highly mobile large bosses. The dragon in DS2 DLC (forgot his name), Midir, Nameless King phase 1, etc. One moment you are owning face, the next you are staring straight up into nothingness or a big blob of a monster while simultaneously getting your face caved in. Not locking on sometimes works, well it does wonders for the camera, but it can lead to really clunky combat. Some fights are definitely easier if you don't lock on like Aldia in SotFS and High Lord Wolnir in DS3 (though camera isn't really a problem there).

Don't forget that Midir sometimes jump back do his charge thingy which can caught you off guard if you are not prepared. Not talking about the flying breathing thingy but the backstep jump and charge attack and his verstaile melee attacks specially phase 1. The funny part is that I find him easier once he started using his dark energy power in phase 2. It's just phase 1 + camera for me that makes him hard.

Nameless King I remember doing him so easily and only using like 1 or 2 estus flasks until I finally defeated him with as I said dragonslayer armor shield and just good old strafing and circling around him until he is dead I was just using the Sunlight straight sword with my faith/str build while the damage was not great I was manage to get a clean kill by chipping on his hp with as I said using only 2 estus flasks which I did in phase 1 only. Nameless King for me is annoying in phase 1 only because of the god damn camera can be a killer sometimes I hated the camera in that phase haha even if you don't use the focus target it can still be so unpredictable and annoying.

In Midir case I rarely see someone who kill him without getting a single hit or only use 1 or 2 estus flasks.

I'd suggest to you that you went into the Nameless fight with a somewhat ideal setup.

Still, different people find different fights easier. I think Freida was the most difficult for my playstyle until I finally figured out her patterns. With Nameless being close behind (mostly due to both of them relying on spamming attacks nearly non-stop). Whereas I already mentioned, I felt that Midir was almost stupidly easy once I turned off target lock.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2018-03-13 at 09:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd suggest to you that you went into the Nameless fight with a somewhat ideal setup.

Still, different people find different fights easier. I think Freida was the most difficult for my playstyle until I finally figured out her patterns. With Nameless being close behind (mostly due to both of them relying on spamming attacks nearly non-stop). Whereas I already mentioned, I felt that Midir was almost stupidly easy once I turned off target lock.
    I'm guessing this is the case. I killed Midir on first go on my Pyromancer but it was hell on my STR/Faith character. I am guessing you play more like a DEX or quality build without a shield and therefore Nameless King and Friede are much worse for you. Both can chain 7+ attacks in a row easily. Friede particularly has very little openings in P3. You probably had a better build to deal with Midir where a shield is useless. I still say though that Midir is the hardest fight in Dark Souls. I think by far the most people have problems with him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    I just saw this yesterday, all in one sitting, like 9 hours in a row. I don't have the patience nor skill for that, I still often find myself getting greedy. Also the camera monster is probably the hardest boss in Dark Souls. Especially frustrating against highly mobile large bosses. The dragon in DS2 DLC (forgot his name), Midir, Nameless King phase 1, etc. One moment you are owning face, the next you are staring straight up into nothingness or a big blob of a monster while simultaneously getting your face caved in. Not locking on sometimes works, well it does wonders for the camera, but it can lead to really clunky combat. Some fights are definitely easier if you don't lock on like Aldia in SotFS and High Lord Wolnir in DS3 (though camera isn't really a problem there).

Haha yeah I agree most of the dragon fights in the Souls series big factor of them being difficult is the camera for sure. I remember in DSI I spent like 1 hour fighting Kalameet because of that tail ! I wanted to cut the tail for the weapon for the trophy/achievement for weapons collector.

Yeah about that guy I do have some patience but clearly not as much as that guy haha. The best accomplishment I did in the Souls series is doing the undying/no rest in bonfire run in DSII, and in DSIII is defeating Iudex Gundyr with Deprived character without getting hit a single time. :P

That is me haha. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah well my default build for every first walkthrough in the Souls series is the heavy Faith/strength build and I was equipping the dragonslayer shield before using Havel shield because it was slightly ligher. :P

I just saw this yesterday, all in one sitting, like 9 hours in a row. I don't have the patience nor skill for that,
    Want to see something cool (if you haven't seen it already) check this out.

I'm guessing this is the case. I killed Midir on first go on my Pyromancer but it was hell on my STR/Faith character. I am guessing you play more like a DEX or quality build without a shield and therefore Nameless King and Friede are much worse for you. Both can chain 7+ attacks in a row easily. Friede particularly has very little openings in P3. You probably had a better build to deal with Midir where a shield is useless. I still say though that Midir is the hardest fight in Dark Souls. I think by far the most people have problems with him.
    Quality build using the Old Wolf Great Sword, yeah. I used to be a heavy shield user, but it became clear to me pretty early on that From didn't like shield builds the deeper into the game you go.

This is why I was so disgusted with the Nameless fight, since it was 10x easier as soon as I slapped on a greatshield. But you'll notice Freide has a grab that she can spam to get around that, same with Slave Knight whatzisface. And as you mentioned, a shield is pretty useless against Midir(you have to face his face or claw to block, and lockon is useless for this).

Anyway, I guess you could say Midir is the hardest for most people. I died 20 times against Nameless, but got Midir on my third attempt without any sort of guide or advice.