Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    The problem is that PvE endgame (idk about PvP, I gave up in Legion) requires you to min-max the !@#$ out of your character, which leaves little to no room for customization. I'd like to have, e.g. Mage talents to increase the distance you can Blink to, or to increase the damage absorbed by Frost/Prismatic/Blazing barrier, or to create decoys of yourself (like Jandice Barov in Scholo), at the cost of raw output. But you can't really have that these days, can you? Especially when every ounce of DPS matters.

RPG in WoW is long dead, rotting in the grave. They removed little RPG elements, one by one, to make the game more convenient (QoL changes people call it), and it end up being an action-adventure MMO. A metamorphosis. WoW sure is not an RPG game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    RPG in WoW is long dead, rotting in the grave. They removed little RPG elements, one by one, to make the game more convenient (QoL changes people call it), and it end up being an action-adventure MMO. A metamorphosis. WoW sure is not an RPG game.
    "A role-playing game (sometimes spelled roleplaying game[1][2] and abbreviated to RPG) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting." - Wikipedia

Hmm. I am a tauren druid doing quests, meeting npcs, and exploring the world in a fictional setting. Sounds like an RPG to me.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    "A role-playing game (sometimes spelled roleplaying game[1][2] and abbreviated to RPG) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting." - Wikipedia

Hmm. I am a tauren druid doing quests, meeting npcs, and exploring the world in a fictional setting. Sounds like an RPG to me.
    World of Warcraft once had much more than this.

It STILL is an RPG(hence Wikipedia), sure, but it's nothing of what it once was.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    To me the main RPG aspects are "Leveling", "Gearing" and "Character Progression", sure they removed some things that were RPG elements, but it was mostly QoL. Hunter ammunition was awful if you were an airhead, reagents too.
    So roleplaying isn't a main aspect in a roleplaying game to you?

To me the main aspects of an RPG is choices in story, story progression and character development (not necessarily in terms of power). Unfortunately WoW has never really been able to deliver on that, but it still manages to create somewhat immersive quests from time to time.

I would really like to see more rpg elements like reagents and trainers return, but outside of classic realms it won't happen since convenience is prioritized over everything these days. Not saying I dislike convenience, but sometimes it removes more than it should. It's ok for things to be a bit inconvenient at times if it makes the overall game-play feeling better.

There is no roleplaying the second you step out of your order hall just to find out all the NPCs lie The Truman Show style, I am not the only paladin with this epic weapon, no I am not the leader of you people, thousands of people has my same weapon lied to by the same NPC cone. RPG my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    To me the main RPG aspects are "Leveling", "Gearing" and "Character Progression", sure they removed some things that were RPG elements, but it was mostly QoL. Hunter ammunition was awful if you were an airhead, reagents too.
    Yeah, "Customization" and "Progression" - are two things, that determine RPG for me. And guess what? Wow turns more and more into arcade. "Customization" is constantly being replaced with "Situational". Talents are situational. Buildings in Garrison are situational. Even Classes and Specs are situational. There is literally no room for "I just want it to be like this - it's my personal choice". And about "Progression". You know, scaling killed it. When enemies always have exactly the same difficulty, you can't outlevel them and gain access to more difficult areas with more powerful mobs - it's exact definition of arcade. Yeah, turtle on first level in Super Mario Bros - is exactly the same turtle, as on last one.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    World of Warcraft once had much more than this.

It STILL is an RPG(hence Wikipedia), sure, but it's nothing of what it once was.
    According to the very definition I posted, nothing has changed. We still take on the role of our characters in a fictional setting. That people try to say "these things are what made it an RPG and since they're gone it isn't anymore" need to get their heads examined cause obviously fishing for stuff to complain about this hard is clearly doing unkind things to their brains.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Deleted
    Yes i miss do legendary quests like in cata staff and daggers or mop.. I miss reforging upgrade items like in mop more custonization i want my haste go up because i choose.. And i miss old professions system i dont want pick up Legion herbs with lvl1 skill i want recipies drop from world like for achiev in northrend or buying them from vendor for Cook currency i miss those system cause that system was not bad i dont understand why they always take Good stuff

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Undeadprotoss View Post
    Remember when we had hunter ammunition, spell reagents, and class trainers that actually taught you spells were a thing?

Do you guys miss the more RPG-ish elements of WoW or do you think they are archaic.
    Those are not RPG aspects

According to the very definition I posted, nothing has changed. We still take on the role of our characters in a fictional setting. That people try to say "these things are what made it an RPG and since they're gone it isn't anymore" need to get their heads examined cause obviously fishing for stuff to complain about this hard is clearly doing unkind things to their brains.
    I mean I agree, but..

WoW ONCE had many MORE things tailored towards RPG.

It still is an RPG, hanging onto a thread.

Argue with this, and I will be more than welcome to tell you how it once had MORE RPG elements other than "Take on a role in a fictional setting".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rosso View Post
    Those are not RPG aspects
    How are they not?

Hunter's needing to use actual ammunition to use their ranged weapon - RPG.

Using more powerful spells to your party (reagents) - RPG.

Class Trainers being your GO TO, to teach you, let you LEARN - RPG.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Undeadprotoss View Post
    Remember when we had hunter ammunition, spell reagents, and class trainers that actually taught you spells were a thing?

Do you guys miss the more RPG-ish elements of WoW or do you think they are archaic.
    IDK the whole trainer thing felt artificial to me. In D&D, you just level up without having to visit a trainer. Classes with spellbooks need to get scrolls to scribe them into their books, but beside that, your characters are self-sufficient in these regards. Of course, you can add this fluff to your campaigns if you like that, but especially in heavy dungeoneering content, having to break up to visit some trainers is going against the flow.

I also don't miss spell reagents. They just have been cluttering our limited bag space, which has been quite ridiculous (because 1 stack of 20 runestones equals 1 breastplate, completely disregarding that the breasplate takes up more volume and also has a much higher weight compared to some reagents). If anything, we should have a special reagent slot to stock up, but it's not really important to me.

This is still a video game. If you are into requisite type of play, you should try out life action RPGs. But I would love some situational spells to return, like amplify / dampen magic and decurse for Mages.

And speaking of RPG aspects: What I TRULY miss is the option to chose your path. You know, play your character according to the concept, and have different ways to solve quests. If you play a healer, you should not be forced to mass murder living things. If you play a Forsaken with an apothecary concept, you would not have problems with torturing people - but other characters would probably like to get informations in a different way. Priest have something like mind control, why cannot they use the spell in such circumstances?
    Last edited by mmoceb1073a651; 2018-03-13 at 10:49 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    And speaking of RPG aspects: What I TRULY miss is the option to chose your path. You know, play your character according to the concept, and have different ways to solve quests. If you play a healer, you should not be forced to mass murder living things. If you play a Forsaken with an apothecary concept, you would not have problems with torturing people - but other characters would probably like to get informations in a different way. Priest have something like mind control, why cannot they use the spell in such circumstances?
    They tried to do something like this with the Class Hall quests, but in the end, it's been too little and too much at the same time. Too little, because it's just a drop of RP in an ocean of convenience, and too much because they are long and mandatory for any serious content. They also include garbage like mission tables, which I !@#$ing loathe.

In Crash Bandicoot, I assume the role of Crash (or even Coco), and explore the world in a fictional setting, interact with other characters, so on and so fort. Sounds like an RPG to me.

Deleted
    I don't think wow can actually be called an mmorpg game anymore, its an mmo but it's not an rpg and hasn't been for years now.

Deleted
    One day, people will understand that what is fun in a pen and paper RPG may be fucking boring in a online game. And sometimes those thing are just plain boring even in a pen and paper.

Let's try a scenario and see the differences:

SCENARIO: I forgot to buy arrow and i am in the middle of a dungeon

1) World of Warcraft or any another Pc game: "What a hassle, brb hearting/teleporting to buy some. Or please Caster X, make me a portal and call me back or waste time waiting for me. Oh wait, i can just stand still and do nothing and you carry me!".

2) Pen and paper: "Crap i forgot to buy arrow in last village, we are in the middle of a dungeon/forest, our mage cant waste teleport.... i will be useless? No, i can still place trap, craft my arrow from a branch, sneak ahead, use my pet effectively, ask mage to conjure wood or trasmute this chair....."

Even a blind idiot can see the difference: 1) Just a chore; 2) Open up a lot of possibilities.

WoW just became way to much about endgame mechanics. While those are important their is no journey anymore. Without a journey those things don't matter as much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shot89 View Post
    One day, people will understand that what is fun in a pen and paper RPG may be fucking boring in a online game. And sometimes those thing are just plain boring even in a pen and paper.

1) World of Warcraft or any another Pc game: "What a hassle, brb hearting/teleporting to buy some. Or please Caster X, make me a portal and call me back or waste time waiting for me. Oh wait, i can just stand still and do nothing and you carry me!".

2) Pen and paper: "Crap i forgot to buy arrow in last village, we are in the middle of a dungeon/forest, our mage cant waste teleport.... i will be useless? No, i can still place trap, craft my arrow from a branch, sneak ahead, use my pet effectively, ask mage to conjure wood or trasmute this chair....."

Even a blind idiot can see the difference: 1) Just a chore; 2) Open up a lot of possibilities.
    Point 2 would require a duckload of work to make a world that versatile that would be really hard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shot89 View Post

And where is problem? You are punished for failing to buy enough arrows. Looks good to me. Maybe dont be *** next time and buy enough arrows? It isnt chore it is game punishhing your mistake.
    Last edited by mmoca9a2d58f1f; 2018-03-13 at 02:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get your head out of your ass people. RPG is a very broad term, and there are many great RPGs that don't fit your narrow definition that's dependent on fluff game mechanics.

WoW is as much of a RPG as it used to be. Your problem is it's not the RPG you want.