Poll: Which do you prefer Stick or Automatic transmissions.

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyforge1 View Post
    In Australia if you sit your drivers license using an auto car during your probationary period (4 years) you can only drive auto cars, after that 4 years you can drive whatever you want.
    Soo learning automatic and then driving automatic for 4 years leads to knowing how to drive stick? That's stupid.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    Soo learning automatic and then driving automatic for 4 years leads to knowing how to drive stick? That's stupid.
    Yes, that is correct

Quote Originally Posted by DonGenaro View Post
    Riding brakes does not result in warping as the disc is rotating at the time, it both heats and cools uniformly. Standing on your brakes when your discs are too hot warps discs, not a lot to debate here, causality is well established

Pragmatically I would not take neutral if I believed I would only be standing for a few seconds, but for any time longer I do (but I've been driving for 30 years so I don't really think about it).
    Riding the brakes heats them up like mad. When I use the brakes, I actually brake down. I don't just tap them, that'll only wear them down, get them heated up unnecessarily. We're not driving race cars that have carbon discs and need a certain temperature to work. Our brakes start working at -20°C.

I see the logic in what you're saying, I've just been taught differently. A lot of the things I say also come from "being economical" in not putting extra wear and tear on the car. As I pointed out before, I don't have the leisure to waste money on stuff with the GPU prices these days.

For example, I rarely go above 2.5k rpm myself. I do take the car on highways often enough to burn excessive carbon in the pistons (cos then I'm over 3.5k), but in city traffic I don't see the point in speeding or revving. Not with traffic lights, which I personally dubbed "The Great Traffic Equalizer". Why? Because no matter how much someone next to you is swerving and speeding, you'll meet him again at the next red light. It's amusing as fuck for me.
    Last edited by Slant; 2018-03-13 at 11:09 AM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyforge1 View Post
    Yes, that is correct
    I believe the motivation is that after four years you at least have some road sense, understanding all aspects of driving other than the mechanical conversion of the driving process. The aim of a driving test is to try and ensure that you do not pose a threat to yourself or others sharing the road with you. The brake and accelerator pedals remain largely in the same position and ultimately this is all you need to know, failing to declutch beforehand will simply stall the engine when you reach a halt. Driving "stick" really isn't hard.

This is with the proviso that they don't teach you to left foot brake for an auto only test. It would be bad practice if you are as your feet should not be on both accelerator and brake at any time. In a manual you may touch brake and accelerator but this is achieved through heel/toe and not left foot braking. Racing a sequential is different and should not be regarded as in any way applicable to the road.

Riding the brakes heats them up like mad. When I use the brakes, I actually brake down. I don't just tap them, that'll only wear them down, get them heated up unnecessarily.
    Yep, think we are largely on the same page, riding will heat soak the brake assembly, massively increase material wear and is bad practice , but it won't in itself warp discs. In a modern vented scenario not using the handbrake probably only effects a small % of drivers in this manner, but it does occur and will be far more prevalent in non vented discs (irrespective of heat due to construction of vented). It could be argued that at this point we are probably utilising the brakes in a manner beyond design limitations, but I can heat soak my vented brakes on A and B country roads (U.K) here when driving in an enjoyable manner and so using the handbrake remains necessary.

Much of driving is situational, the mechanical act of driving is relevant, particularly in equipment wear/fuel consumption as you note, but the primary concern of any instruction is safety/road awareness. Best mechanical practice doesn't always enter into this instruction.
    Last edited by mmoce90cf0ffae; 2018-03-13 at 11:37 AM.

Legit never heard of drive stick in my life

I was under the impression all of our driving instructors taught manual as a default over automatic unless requested otherwise. I'd prefer automatic bujt given most cars are manual I stuck with manual
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    Prince Harry Is Teaching Meghan Markle to Drive Stick.
    Yeah he is.

How about you, can you drive stick
    I've not driven an automatic a single time in my life, and if it was up to me, I never would. Manual transmission is the only way to drive a car. Thankfully, though, automatic transmission will soon kinda be a thing of the past as well, thanks to self-driving cars. Then we can choose to either properly drive a car, or be a passenger.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I Guess my question is WHY, I can drive a manual, but everything I own is automatic, I will admit there is something lost if you ever want to go off roading or to a race track or plan to drive really expensive OLD high end cars, but it seems kind of tedious.
    Historically:
    1) Manual transmission is cheaper to buy
    2) Manual transmission is cheaper to repair and maintain
    3) Manual transmission is more fuel efficient
    4) Manual transmission offers better performance
    5) Automatic transmission is less effort to operate

Admittedly, as technology has advanced, not all of these things remain true anymore. There is a much wider range of automatic transmissions including ones which are now more efficient than manuals and offer better performance. However this has come at a cost - namely price.

For me, a significant deterrant to buying an automatic remains the cost of repairing a fancy automatic gearbox. I have friends and colleagues who have landed up with broken Audis and Mercs and the cost of repair is staggering. And while you do still get "simple" automatics, they tend to be more sluggish and heavier on fuel.

If money wasn't a question, of course I'd choose a tiptronic/multitronic/DSG gearbox. But here in the real world, I have far better things to spend my hard earned cash on. And having driven manual cars for nearly 25 years now, it's second nature. I am fine with continuing to do so. I think if I ever started driving an automatic though, it would probably be hard to go back to a manual.

Modern automatic is so good there's no point in stick anymore. I rather have one extra thing less to worry about while I drive.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Yeah he is.
    Haha! Took me a few seconds to pick up the double entendre here.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    3) Manual transmission is more fuel efficient
    4) Manual transmission offers better performance
    3) https://i.imgur.com/R1Jk9BL.png wife's Auris - manual is 5.9l/100km, automatic is 5.7l/100km. Oh and better automatics have 10 fucking gears, so they stay at lower rpms.......

4) How? Automatic shifts way, way, wayyyy faster than you, meat bag.

Jesus. People just don't know cars.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think that is how it works....at all.

If you do your driver's test in an automatic, then you can only drive automatics. In order to be allowed to drive a manual, you need to redo your test in a manual.
    If you do your driver's test in a manual, then you're allowed to drive either manual or automatic.

The principle is simple: Driving an automatic doesn't require any additional skill set that you don't get from learning to drive a manual. Conversely, driving a manual requires a skill that isn't learned from driving an automatic.

Although it's generally a lot easier to become competent enough to pass your test in an automatic, the general recommendation is to put in the extra effort and learn how to drive a manual.

- - - Updated - - -

3) https://i.imgur.com/R1Jk9BL.png wife's Auris - manual is 5.9l/100km, automatic is 5.7l/100km. Oh and better automatics have 10 fucking gears, so they stay at lower rpms.......

Nice cherry picking.

I mean, I started that list by saying "historically". I then followed the list by stating how things have changed pretty much to what you're trying to lecture me on.

Jesus. People just don't know how to read.
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2018-03-13 at 12:05 PM.

Deleted

Perhaps you missed the "historically" qualification? These points actually remain true for all torque convertor Auto's produced until a couple of years ago and still remains true of many.

Yourwife's car probably has CVT and not a "torque convertor" auto. CVT's have different down sides related to drive being through a belt.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think that is how it works....at all.

I believe the OP was referring to law in Australia only.
    Last edited by mmoce90cf0ffae; 2018-03-13 at 12:20 PM.

Nice cherry picking.

I mean, I started that list by saying "historically". I then followed the list by stating how things have changed pretty much to what you're trying to lecture me on.

Jesus. People just don't know how to read.
    Hahaha, nice cherry picking. Here's not cherry picking then:

1) Manual transmission is cheaper to buy
    2) Manual transmission is cheaper to repair and maintain
    1) yes, no way no shit, same way as simple cord phone is cheaper than iphone. Adds nothing to discussion, but at least I'm not cherry picking.

2) Maintain - modern transmissions don't need to have even it's transmission fluids changed, will easily last for those 3-5 years you will own it. Cheaper to repair - yes, same way as simple cord phone is cheaper to repair than iphone, no way no shit. Thank god for insurance... Adds nothing to discussion, but at least I'm not cherry picking.

Yeah you said the truth. Either very obvious, or doesn't matter. Cherry picking....

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    1) yes, no way no shit, same way as simple cord phone is cheaper than iphone. Adds nothing to discussion, but at least I'm not cherry picking.

2) Maintain - modern transmissions don't need to have even it's transmission fluids changed, will easily last for those 3-5 years you will own it. Cheaper to repair - yes, same way as simple cord phone is cheaper to repair than iphone, no way no shit. Thank god for insurance... Adds nothing to discussion, but at least I'm not cherry picking.

Yeah you said the truth. Either very obvious, or doesn't matter. Cherry picking....
    Calm down.

I am not trying to tell you why you are wrong to choose an automatic. I am explaining to the OP why someone might choose to take a manual over an automatic. If you're happy with your choice of automatic then more power to you. Just because someone else with a different set of circumstances makes a different choice is not some egregious insult to you.

Awww why not, just never had a need to learn?
    Well when I was younger I had no money so I got used to taking public transport everywhere. Now I can afford it, but since I've been getting around just fine for 20 years without a car I ultimately decided it was a lot of money for something I don't really need.

And with things like Uber and probably self driving cars soon, seems like there's less reason than ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurin View Post
    How I feel about automatic cars:
    Ironic you feel that way considering you're living in a country that could well be the first in the world - nothing is confirmed yet obviously but it could well be the first - to outright ban ICE cars.